PDA

View Full Version : Old City Number 3!

günter
01-26-2011, 05:31 AM
Hi,
Am I allowed to join the club of city-builders?
I biult allready all the buildings of MPR I. (Kartonist.de | Bauberichte-Architektur | Mittelalterliche Stadt von abc, Old Town (http://www.kartonist.de/wbb2/thread.php?postid=49641#post49641))
I built them in orignal size, but I made copies and built this copies. So I could adjust the sometimes a bit dull colors and keep the original:), plus I could allways print spare parts!
As I don't speak Czech, this link has been quite helpfull: TRANSLATE.EU : Text to translate from czech to german (http://translate.eu/english/translators/Czech-German/) (also translates to english!)
By the way: Each house can be assambled in two ways: As stand alone model and as model connected to the other buildings, as we want to do. In this case some parts have to be left out!
Now let's go on:
Pic 1: This collection of buildings should form a diorama!
Pic 2: As I want to store the whole thing on my attic, I cut the groundplan in some parts.
Pic 3: Now I transfered the parts on 2mm cardboard and cut them out.
Pic 4: Next step was, to glue the buildings on the parts of the groundplan. This has not been so easy, as the houses did not allways follow exactly the groundplan and the whole thing should finally form a closed circle.
Pic 5 : Now the road surfaces had to be adjusted.

Ron40
01-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Gunter I think you are certainly allowed to join the city builders.
A very nicely done old town....Ron

cgutzmer
01-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Looks great!!! Great idea on making it more packable :) Welcome to the Corps of City Engineers :)
Chris

peter taft
01-27-2011, 12:30 PM
When can i move in.... get some of the good guys from here for my neighbours, i will be in heaven :) Very nicely built, they are all individual works of art ;)

Zathros
01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Man that is really excellent. My son now wants me to build this for his Lego battles. I told him I would get right on it. After I finish removing the 10" inches of snow that just fell.

cjwalas
01-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Wonderful work, Gunter! Good thinking on construction and storage. It's a great looking town!
Chris

Mike Stamper
01-30-2011, 05:19 PM
This is for both the intrepid builders.

First - they both look very good.

My first intoduction to the towns was the ABC Magazine. The whole kit was published in fortnightly parts for goodness how many years. I started subscribing near the end so I was pleased when the "book" was published.

I finished the first town, and the rest is still in the book.I glued the outline sheet to a base and keep the individual buildings in a box - much easier to transport!

Next, a word of warning _ I'd had enough of the kits after the first building. It also made me realist that Mr Richard V has a very small "pallet" of graphic. He uses the same ones for other kits - Including The Leaning Tower of Pisa and Tower Bridge!

Finally, a tip. The buildings have some colourful flags. I used quite wet glue to glue the two halves together and this gave me the chance of making them "limp". Too many times I've seen flags that look a if they are in a 100 mile an hour gale;-)

For flag masts I discovered, while out with my daughter when she was shopping at her favourite "Bead shop". The bits I bought looked like long thin nails - I think they are used for making hanging ear rings. The interesting thing is that they are solid silver ! I painted them with enamel paint (mat wood). I put them in place but didn't glue them until the town was complete - that way I could ensure they were all facing the right way! I also used them - this time gloss black - as the poles for the street lights. You will also note that I cut out the bits between the "rings" then glued the flag together with the pole in place.

So, the best of luck with both the builds - Will you be making the scenery as shown in the poster in the book?

Cheers
Mike

günter
02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi,
Thanks to your friendly comments.

Peter, you and your friends are invited! But be aware of the fact, that there is no public transport or supermarket.

Zathros are you still removing snow or did you start building?

Mike, you are right with Vyskovsky, although the buildings are all look different, the individual parts are repeating. Maybe this is the reason, why I don't know of anybody who went on after MPR I.

As you may have noticed, I didn't attach any flag 'till now. I will decide later about this, but for sure not the mass of flags which are provided with the kit. Anyway thanks for the tip!

I will go on with MPR II. Most likely I will build the version 7 which is suggested in the book

Meanwhile I finished the MPR I base.
Pic 1: The church and the town hall got an extra base, therefore the tabs have been folded inwards.
Pic 2 and 3: I didn't like the surface round the church. I downloaded a surface with cobblestones from the net. Inaccurateness near the buildings have been corrected with a row of stones.
Pic 4 and 5:The finished church square.

peter taft
02-20-2011, 07:18 AM
[FONT=courier][LEFT]Hi,
Thanks to your friendly comments.

Peter, you and your friends are invited! But be aware of the fact, that there is no public transport or supermarket.

No public transport isn't a problem - i have a car, so that's that sorted :) please try to get a small shop - General Provisions, we need to eat don't we ? and it's a long drive into the city :)
Hey.... this build of buildings is truly wonderful ;):)

Thomas Meek
02-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Beautiful work, günter! I look forward to seeing what you do with MPR II.

southwestforests
03-01-2011, 03:22 AM
Pic 2: As I want to store the whole thing on my attic,
In an attic around here they'd pick up summer humidity and get musty pretty quick.
Your models are too nice to have that happen to them.

günter
03-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Ready for the next round!

@Peter: Shops are no problems! But there are no parking spaces, you have to park your car outside near the town gate. Parking area is under construction!
@southwestforests: No problem, the attic is well insulated. I stored models there for some years!

This time I scanned the base in the beginning and cut out the part for the first section. I attach the buildings directly on the base to prevent "surprises" later on!
The use of rightangles and patterns for the gable can be quite helpfull.
The section A includes the houses 27 - 31.
As usual many parts!

günter
03-09-2011, 07:50 AM
I cut holes in the base to reach the tabs from inside.

Ron40
03-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Some very nice buildings Gunter. Looking forward to your progress
with this elaborate model....Ron

SCEtoAUX
03-09-2011, 08:54 AM
That is a very nice looking bunch of buildings.
The way they are all stuck together kind of reminds me of Howl's Moving Castle.:)

peter taft
03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
This thread makes my day. It's great to see some fine buildings, with a great outlook to the rest of your plan - Keep them coming, they're GREAT :);)

John_Volker
03-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Impressive build, they look great and it appears to be a fun build for you. Thanks for sharing.

Cartonator
03-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Very nice! Beautiful work! Gratulations!

How far did you proceed as far?

Manfred

günter
03-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Hallo Manfred,
I finished MPR I and started MPR II. But I didn't make any scenery yet. I'm not shure, what version I will build. Most propably 7. I dream of extending the model with other models I have. For example a port with "Landungsbrücken" and "Hafendiorama" from HMV. So MPR will be part of a modern town with parking area along the wall near the town gate. But this is future, first the MPR will keep me busy.

Günter

günter
03-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi friends, thanks for your comments!
Now Section B, Houses 32 - 37
House 32 no problems

günter
03-26-2011, 03:55 PM
House 34 has been a bit more difficult, but has been worth it!

Keds_Girl_Lala
03-26-2011, 03:58 PM
This is beautiful. It is the type of model I think I would enjoy most and I have not seen it before at all with the whole city.

günter
03-26-2011, 04:00 PM
I made a template for the stairs.

günter
03-26-2011, 04:03 PM
I wanted to make the roof of house 34 more stable, but I realized, that it would not be possible to make necessary corrections later on. So I cut it off again! The other houses have been "Busyness as usual"

günter
03-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Sightseeing tour:

günter
05-06-2011, 03:25 PM
It goes on with section C.
First the base where the houses will be attached.
First I made the tunnel and after this the surrounding tower. The gate is movable and can be fixed in open position.

günter
05-06-2011, 03:33 PM
The next building got a sheltered intrance and a yard surrounded by a wall in the back.
With roofs I first cut out and fold all parts, than I attach the dormers and chimneys and after this the roof will be assambled.

günter
05-06-2011, 03:46 PM
One more building and the well and section C is done.

günter
05-06-2011, 03:48 PM
More pictures together with section A and B.

Zathros
05-06-2011, 04:10 PM
."Zathros are you still removing snow or did you start building?"

I have so much damage that this whole Summer will be repairing what the snow took out. My Barn held up great, which my wife hates as she said we should have moved into the barn, with all the work I put into it. I have not done much modeling, but sure am enjoying watch you and yours!!:)

peter taft
05-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Lovely work as usual, and the pictures are brilliant too. ;)

günter
03-11-2012, 12:33 PM
It's going on!
The next section D with tower and houses 38, 39 and 40.
First the tower:

TLUN
03-11-2012, 08:10 PM
So beautiful!
Fantastic!
May I Ask, where did you downloaded it? or bought it?
I would like to build one too!

günter
03-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Hi TLUN,
This model is a Book published some years ago. I don't know whether it is still available.

Günter

JohnM
03-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Much as I'd love to build this, I just don't have the time or space to do so, but I am thoroughly enjoying your build thread.
However, for the benefit of others that may wish to, would you look for an ISBN number on the book Gunter. It should be listed on the first title page, and often also appears on the back cover. This number will greatly aid tracing if it is still published, or if any copies still exist.

Johnny.

JohnM
03-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Google searches on "Richard Vyskovsky" shows him to be a prolific paper model designer, with many different models out there. Not one reference to this book found though.

Johnny

günter
03-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi John,
The book is out of stock for a long time. Must be very lucky to get a copy.

The next is house nr. 40. The tabs of the bay should be put through slits. I glued them at the wall as normally. I think Vyskovsky felt bored while constructing. For the gable I made a pattern to be sure to have the right angle. Made it easier to attach it.

eatcrow2
03-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Hi John,
The book is out of stock for a long time. Must be very lucky to get a copy.

Well I have a copy that is in mint condition, that I'll never build for a number of reasons. I'll probably be listing this sometime this week on Ebay, along with others as I trim my stash down to just kits that I actually might build..

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/eatcrow2/others2/gft56004.jpg

JohnM
03-12-2012, 02:29 PM
I do not want a copy myself, but I'm sure you'll find a ready buyer for it Peter. It should get many bids as an auction. It would be nice if you post the E-Bay reference here when you put it up. Hopefully someone here will get lucky.

Meantime, for future reference, will you give us it's ISBN number?

Johnny.

günter
03-12-2012, 02:43 PM
meantime, for future reference, will you give us it's isbn number?

isbn: 80-7341-353-1

JohnM
03-12-2012, 03:22 PM
isbn: 80-7341-353-1

Thank you.

It is out there folks .... curtesy of your friendly Google.
685 Kc/ks ... Whatever they are?

http://www.knihcentrum.cz/velka-kniha-vystrihovanek/d-74041/ (http://www.knihcentrum.cz/velka-kniha-vystrihovanek/d-74041/)
Not listed as 'In Stock' , but shown as 'On the way to warehouse'.

Johnny.

JohnM
03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I cannot read Czech, and I've not tried to translate the cover info, so can anyone tell me ... is this representative of an actual town?
It seems incredibly detailed to be imaginative.

Google tranlsates the title as ... Great Book Cut-outs
Subtitle ... Urban conservation area.

Johnny.

glounsbury
03-12-2012, 06:13 PM
The model is just an imaginary town (city).
Unless architect means somthing different in Czech than english the author is one. As best I can tell the purpose of the book (model) is to show various European architectural styles from 12th thru 18th century when walled cities were what was done. So far on my build each section of wall is different and each rampart (tower) in the wall is also. The written instructions has an introductory paragraph for each building, wall, tower etc that dates the structure and has some description. It really is a tour de force of style, color and shape. It is also my understanding that the "model" was published originally as monthly issues over several years and then combined as a full book. Whatever it is a marvelous project that will take many months if not a few years to fully complete.

George

ps - google "Antonin Langweil" he built a paper model of Prague about 150 years ago. Scale 1:480, is is really big and has been used as a document for old renovations in Prague.

TLUN
03-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Thank you Günter, since I can't find one, I will keep following this thread XP

Mike Stamper
03-13-2012, 04:39 AM
I have a spare copy of the book. The main problem is the weight - It cost a fortune importing it from the Czech Republic. Something like £30.

When it was first published I found some pictures of the completed model set in a diorama. So, here's a few of the pictures to keep you going.

I've made one of the towns, but am not sure if it will ever be finished.

Cheers
Mike

peter taft
03-13-2012, 05:12 AM
I love all this, i just wish i had room too like many other guys. The whole model when built is fascinating, and one could look at it very often and find something you'd forgotten about - the detail is superb ! Anyone getting up close to this would surely want to view for many hours :)

günter
03-13-2012, 04:14 PM
It's going on with house nr. 39, busyness as usual.

TLUN
03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Thank you for your pictures, Mike...
It is way too big for me to build one...(comparing the size of the model and the child behind)
I am soon running out of space for sleep...

günter
03-14-2012, 02:40 AM
Hi,
Vyskovsky is a well known designer of paper models. If you want more info look here: Kartonist.de | Fotoberichte | Vyskovsky Ausstellung Prag (http://www.kartonist.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=2919)
It is a report from an exhibition for his 80. Birthday.
@ Mike: Do you know anybody who built the whole town?
@ TLUN: You don't have to built the whole town, just one ore two sections give a nice model for a shelf!

günter
03-15-2012, 04:13 PM
With the House nr.38 the section E is finished.

Wilfried
03-15-2012, 04:32 PM
... what a nice intimate sfere - the old houses cheek to cheek - only the people missing ... :)

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

günter
03-16-2012, 02:29 AM
Hallo Wilfried,
this will be one of the last steps. First the buildings, than the landscape, finally the people, cars and so on. I bought already two boxes of unpainted Preiser figures:

TLUN
03-17-2012, 12:32 AM
That would be nice XP
I myself love to but won't use figures...

günter
04-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi,
I made a mistake, the houses 38 to 40 belong to section D!
It's going on now with Section E, House 46.

günter
04-07-2012, 02:40 PM
House 47 part one.

günter
04-07-2012, 02:42 PM
House 47 part two.

günter
04-07-2012, 02:46 PM
House 48 corner-house.

günter
04-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Section E is now finished.

Pixelpusher
04-08-2012, 10:36 AM
This is such a beautiful model. I greatly enjoy your effort in bringing this to completion.

Should I attempt such work, I would welcome getting lost within such a piece.

günter
04-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi Pixelpusher, thanks for your comments.

The next section F, house nr.43. According to the guild sign it should be a butcher shop.

günter
04-11-2012, 03:54 PM
New is the double roof with two stories.

Don Boose
04-11-2012, 04:13 PM
This has been a wonderful project to see since you began it. I love the warren of narrow streets and arches and alleys.

Don

sporticus
04-11-2012, 04:37 PM
I will have to save your build as reference book of it's own!!

The building do not use photo-realistic textures and have a certain cartoon like qaulity, but somehow they look realistic. I think the roof shapes and angles make them superb.

And of course your skills Gunter!

It's not actually as big as I think some people are thinking even with terrain http://www.papermodel.cz/papermodel/modely/15/BBA20040MPR00.htm

Then again I want to make the buildings about 60 percent bigger....hmmm...

Mike Stamper
04-13-2012, 01:25 PM
For some reason – perhaps my insatiable need to make models, I've not been keeping up with either of the two town builds.

I see that your first post was more than a year ago, or am I reading the dates wrong! I see there is one question you asked, but I haven't replied. The answer is that I know of one other person who has made only one of the villages and like me, gave up.

I see there is another post about another town – it looks interesting. These threads have renewed my interest in towns - so I've started on yet another version – you will have to wait for a new thread.

However I will make one comment – although I am not a fan of Richard V's limited pallet, I think that his town is the best kit, on the one I'm making, there are too many areas where the plain side of the card is visible – complete with printing!

I like your idea of copying the kit – It makes the colours more muted and therefore a bit more “real”

Earlier, I saw a few comments about cars in medieval villages. A few years ago, my wife and I took a touring holiday on the “Romantic Road” in Germany. I had booked a four door saloon but was told when we arrived in Munich that because they didn't have any saloons I would be upgraded to a big 4X4 SUV ! It was fine on the Autobahns, but when we got to the town for our first night's stay, (Rothenburg) the road was so narrow that I had to drive onto the footpath and get as close to the hotel as possible – even then, a car coming in the opposite direction had to drive on the opposite footpath to squeeze past.

Keep up the good work – both of you !!
Cheers
Mike

glounsbury
04-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Gunter,
your build is far ahead of mine and looking very good.
Mike,
As you know these Towns are over 6000 pieces, I expect my build will take over 2 years. Every once in a while I need to leave the architecture. And I am also building from copies, my HP copier also changes the color a bit as well as mute it some. Since all is imaginary, so what. I think the book it self is worth keeping in one piece.
George

günter
04-15-2012, 04:21 AM
House 44.
Has only 3 walls. I added the 4. wall, to make sure, the roof will fit properly.

günter
04-15-2012, 04:22 AM
The slanting arch has only 2 part plus the roof, constructed without PC!

calinous
04-17-2012, 04:24 AM
It really looks like a village from a fantasy. I love how it all adds up, building after building

günter
04-19-2012, 03:48 PM
House 45 is rather a hut.
The section F is now complete.

günter
04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
The part II of the town MPR is now nearly half done.

TLUN
04-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi gunter,
You last update is beautiful!
Can't wait to see it done!

TLUN

glounsbury
04-20-2012, 01:13 PM
No. 45 looks like a rather nice hut!

George

HMCS
04-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Wow Gunter what a formidable undertaking you have taken,.. and you are doing a great job!,..its amazing! I feel like I could stare at your model all day long and look for hidden secrets in the staircases and back alleys my goodness I really am speechless!

JohnM
07-02-2012, 03:37 PM
I was really enjoying this thread, but two months have gone by with nothing more from Gunter ??

I hope you are well mate, but understandable if you're just taking a break from this.

Looking forward to the rest of the build though. I could never attempt such a project myself due to lack of space, time, and probably skill too, but it doesn't stop me enjoying watching you doing it.

Johnny.

Kevin WS
07-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Nice work!

Burning Beard
07-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Looking at this is the reason I took this up. Just had a grandson born and am looking forward to a little modelling/craft work as he grows. The main idea was to start him out out on simple buildings for train layouts and work up from there. These archetictural models are something people can identify with especially if you are doing famous buildings.

Beard

günter
07-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Boat, garden and motorcaravan means only little time for cardmodeling!
Still another building is done.
It is the house 50 in the section G, the town hall.

Vermin_King
07-10-2012, 07:45 AM
What a wonderful building!

Seascape
07-10-2012, 06:46 PM
I've been following both builds of the Old City. All I can say is WOW! Great work! So for all you would be town builders, the book is still available. Mine arrived today. It was ordered from http://www.betexa.com and took about two weeks. Great folks to deal with. Site says they don't accept credit cards, but for international shipping they do. Also ordered Prague Castle for good measure. Now, if only I could retire.

yannily
07-15-2012, 09:48 AM
It's really nice to find someone who's also working on this city~~~I also like this one very much and almost finished the MPR II (actually I just simply skipped the MPR I :) But Mike is right that it's very easy to get bored since a lot of parts are just repeating. I actually gave up it for quite a long time. And now I started again from MPR I after seeing you guys work. Hopefully one day could share my model with you.

günter
07-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi yannily,
Welcome to our forum!
You are right, it is getting a bit boring after some houses. On the other hand, the houses are never the same and it makes fun seeing the town growing!

Are there any models from China which are produced in China?

Günter

glounsbury
08-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Gunther - Town Hall looks good, you must be about halfway through MPR II.
Yannily - Get a Czech dictionary, the italic start of the build instructions describes the building, for me makes it more interesting.
George

günter
12-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Hi,
After all the sections G and H including the houses 49 - 54 are ready.

günter
12-21-2012, 06:54 AM
You have to work exactly to make sure, the houses will fit properly in the end together. Good luck cardboard is flexible and you can correct if necessary http://www.kartonist.de/images/Smile/a050.gif .

Vermin_King
12-21-2012, 08:42 AM
What an excellent block of houses. I'd forgotten how small this was.

southwestforests
12-21-2012, 06:12 PM
You are doing good work :)

Someone here needs to get motivated to spend less time on the web and spend more time making things.

JohnM
12-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Good to see you back at it again Gunter. Oh how I'd love to build this myself, but I just don't have the time or the space for it. Hmmm! Maybe I could board out the loft? :rolleyes:

Meantime I'll continue to watch and enjoy your build.

Johnny.

Mike Stamper
12-23-2012, 03:30 PM
John,

If you want any tips let me know!

I boarded out the loft, very simply, and have had to extend the storage space. I have my work room and computer up here to. It makes life much easier because I don't have to pack away the work when my wife calls me on the internal phone when she's made a cup of coffee ;-))

JohnM
12-23-2012, 03:44 PM
It's a pipe dream really Mike. My loft only has 4ft headroom at it's highest. The water tank and solar panel inverters take up a lot of the space and the rest is stacked with boxes of who knows what. I'm seriously thinking of putting a caravan on the front drive though...;)

Johnny.

günter
03-17-2013, 12:44 PM
The Synagogue
As usual first some windows. The main building - no problems. With the annexes I had to use all my imagination to find out, how the result should look like.

günter
03-17-2013, 12:45 PM
The finished building and the MPR II till now.

glounsbury
03-17-2013, 10:38 PM
The finished synagogue looks fine, guess your imagination worked.
George

günter
03-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Hi George,
Yes worked after all ;-).

Houses 55 and 56.
When roofs are to be glued between the gables, I make a template and glue it on the inner part of the tabs. This grantees, that the angle of the roof will be ok when glued.

günter
03-23-2013, 01:33 PM
In the corner of the house I glued a triangle, to make sure the house will have rectangles. I separated the roof into two parts and added an extra tab. To fix the roof in one part has been to risky for me.

marco1971
03-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Hello Gunter,

very fantastic e precise work!

Marco

southwestforests
03-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Sure can see why you cut the roof in two, is too much to line it all up at once. These create what would be some really interesting shapes and spaces to walk around in in real life.

günter
06-02-2013, 11:46 AM
House No. 57, 58 and wall.
As usual a template has been of good use.

günter
06-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Again some parts to make the front look nicer. And also a template for the gable.

glounsbury
06-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Hello Gunter,
Very good idea with using an interior template. it realy helps the parapets and crenelations look sharp. MPR II is coming right along. My Cloister in MPR III took a long time to finish and with my Czech dictionary found out how to add the roof in parts. Would have been a mess if tried to assemble the whole roof and then add to walls.
George

günter
11-10-2013, 04:03 AM
It's going on with houses 59-61 and the tower 2.
House no. 59 was attached to the other houses before the roof was assembled, to make sure the angle of the slanting wall is correct. I wonder, how one can live in such a house?

günter
11-10-2013, 04:07 AM
With the house no. 60 first the roof was assembled, then the roof was glued to the back of the gable and finally both are attached to the house.
I just noticed, that there are 4 ridges missing. I attach them always at the end, as they have to be altered quite often in the corners.

günter
11-10-2013, 04:11 AM
House no. 61 has 7 corners! I have not been sure, whether first attach the walls as I did with house no. 59 or fix the roof first. I decided to do the roof first. To be on the save side, I added a right-angle at one corner.

günter
11-10-2013, 04:15 AM
With the tower 2 the connection at the wall had a mistake and had to be corrected.

günter
11-10-2013, 04:16 AM
two more pictures

günter
11-10-2013, 04:20 AM
It's going on with house no. 62. As always with irregular roofs I made a template of the gables.

günter
11-10-2013, 04:25 AM
Part of a wall and again a template.

günter
11-10-2013, 04:27 AM
The tower 3. A very fantastic building. I wonder, whether such a buiding exists in reality?

günter
11-10-2013, 04:31 AM
The yard is closed.

Vermin_King
11-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Beautifully done. I think this would drive me crazy to build. You've done some very nice work

southwestforests
11-11-2013, 05:32 AM
The tower 3. A very fantastic building. I wonder, whether such a buiding exists in reality?Would not be astonished if there was, as we say in the model railroad world, there's a prototype for everything; and a week after you build a model from your wildest imagination, you'll find the real one built 20 years ago.

Wyvern
11-11-2013, 05:52 AM
Beautiful architecture!

Wyvern

RichO
11-11-2013, 01:06 PM
GUNTER,

I have not ever built an architectural model befor. I build real space and airplanes but I thought that your build of this city is very compelling. Watching your build makes me really want to try this sort of build. I am following closely. Thanks for sharing.

günter
12-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks friends for your nice comments!

Now comes the section N with the houses 63-65.
From house 63 only one picture, because I forgot to take photos.
House 64 is a terrace house which I can imagine to stand in England. As usual first the walls are assembled, then the upper floor and finally the roof. I cut the roof in separate pieces and added tabs.

günter
12-21-2013, 03:02 PM
The finished front of the house is again a good example of Vyskovskys fantasy. But even more the back! An attachment is supported by the town wall!
The house 65 is simple, nearly! Mr. Vyskovsky gave the roof a bend on one side! A well completes this section.

whulsey
12-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Just stopping in to see how the town is growing. Looking good.

günter
12-21-2013, 03:07 PM
And now the section P with the houses 66 - 68, the tower 4 and the cemetery. This is the last section of MPR II http://www.kartonist.de/images/Smile/40.gif !
For the house 66 and the tower I made templates. When I held the small base against the house 66 I noticed, that the blank mark for the wall was wrong http://www.kartonist.de/images/Smile/a015.gif The wall covers part of the door frame which had to be removed.

günter
12-21-2013, 03:08 PM
To make sure, the wall and the archway would fit also at the house 67, I built this house before attaching the wall and archway together with the base.

günter
12-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Now the small house 68 and the cemetery could be assembled. The base of the cemetery had to be adjusted too.

günter
12-21-2013, 03:16 PM
MPR II is ready!!! http://www.kartonist.de/images/Smile/two_thumbs.gif

group b
12-22-2013, 02:00 AM
Very nice.
The next year we are friends with the construction of one such city.
The pair will build a street. We are wondering if we meet in the square.:rolleyes:

günter
12-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi group b,
What is your real name? Do you use a program to translate from Czech to English? Because I find it difficult to understand your text. Do you plan to construct your own town?

I added some more pictures. As you probably noticed, the first impression is a mass of roofs. The single house gets nearly more no attention. May be, this is the reason, why nearly nobody built the complete town. Compared to the time it took to build the town, the whole model attracts little attention.
I didn't attach the buildings to the base and bent the tabs inward. Each section will get its own small base. This has the advantage, that I can present the houses separately. The big base with the streets I will only make, when I know, how to combine the three parts of MPR.

JohnM
12-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Oh yes! Excellent work there Günter. I'm so jealous.

But I can just imagine how the the conversation would go in my house ...

"Yes, it's very nice dear, but can you put your toy town away now. We've got guests for dinner and I need to lay the table." :eek:

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.

Pixelpusher
12-22-2013, 11:39 PM
I would be greatly troubled, finding a location in my home to display this.

I really love how this is coming along.

group b
12-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Yes, I use a translator, I can not English.
We want to build your own city.
Tomáš

günter
01-14-2014, 04:36 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your comments. According to space, I store the models in boxes in our attic. Only the latest model I have on a shelve in my working room.
The remaining roofs are attached.

A new part begins: MPR III http://www.kartonist.de/images/Smile/40.gif
First the monastery. I started with the inner yard. After this the three surrounding walls. the fourth wall will be the connecting church. I attached the 3 roofs of the cloister only on the top. The fourth roof and the bottom of all roofs will be attached, when the other walls are assembled and the whole thing is more stable.
The big outer wall has a small mark which indicates, where the part has to be joined to the other walls.

günter
01-14-2014, 04:42 AM
The remaining roofs are attached.
Now the first roof. To be sure, the angel will be ok, I made a template. As a pattern I took the sheet with the part which should be attached there. With the long roof I attached first only one side and then the other one. After glueing the roofs, I found a damaged well between my feet http://www.kartonist.de/images/Smile/keine%20Ahnung.gif it must have fallen down, when I turned the model, to fix the roof from the bottom side. Good luck, I am building a copy. so I could print it again http://www.kartonist.de/images/Smile/two_thumbs.gif

günter
01-14-2014, 04:47 AM
The monastery is finished!

Vermin_King
01-14-2014, 08:18 AM
That is very beautiful.

günter
07-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Hello,
After six weeks in Singapore, visiting relations http://www.kartonist.de/images/Smile/smiley.gif and a break because of health reasons:-(, it can go on now!

The Church.
First I built the entrance. The westwork with the two towers is a typical part of a Romanesque church. But this church is a Gothic one, as you can see at the typical Gothic windows.

günter
07-07-2014, 10:34 AM
I would like to show how the many recessed windows are done. Tabs which are bent outwards, need only one cut inbetween. The fold at the end of the curve I leave out (red arrow). Now the two bottom tabs are glued. After this the window is glued into the frame. This gives the proper shape of the frame. Finally the windows is attached behind the opening of the wall.

günter
07-07-2014, 10:40 AM
With the fixed windows the choir can be attached. To keep its shape, a cross beam has to be glued. To find the right place, a line is drawn at the back. With models from Vyskovsky the position of the line is marked on the tabs.
Now a cross wall and the long wall of the nave are attached.
This wall closes the monastery yard.
After the second long wall of the nave is attached, the side aisle can be assembled.
Templates can be very useful!

Vermin_King
07-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the window tutorial.

günter
07-16-2014, 04:01 PM
The buttresses consist of 3parts. First one side and than the other side are attached. After this the pinnacles and some "accessories" are added.

günter
07-20-2014, 12:26 PM
The church is done!

elliott
07-20-2014, 03:50 PM
And it's a beauty! Nice job. What's next? ;)

glounsbury
07-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Great job on the church and cloister.
George

Erik Zwaan
07-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Hello Günter,

Sehr gut! You have created a fascinating little town, please keep on building!

Erik

Vermin_King
07-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Very nicely done. I'm anxious for the next installment

Don Boose
07-21-2014, 03:07 PM
A beautiful church and a substantial addition to the town.

Don

ridetheory
07-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks friends for your nice comments!

Now comes the section N with the houses 63-65.
From house 63 only one picture, because I forgot to take photos.
House 64 is a terrace house which I can imagine to stand in England. As usual first the walls are assembled, then the upper floor and finally the roof. I cut the roof in separate pieces and added tabs.

Hah! I have the exact same box from the Rietveld Schroder House too! The model is long gone, but the box is still around. I sometimes use it to hold cut pieces and small sub-assemblies, just as you're doing.

southwestforests
07-23-2014, 06:27 AM
Looks good. I admire y'all who do this work. And especially so because my health is a mess and my hands are not often up to all the manipulation involved in creating all the nice things y'all do.

günter
07-27-2014, 03:44 AM
Thanks again friends for your nice comments!
@ridetheory: mine is still "alive" :-)

House No. 2 is part of the kloister.
For the roof I made templates.

günter
07-27-2014, 03:51 AM
House no.3
For the columns in the window and inside the arch small pieces of cardboard have been attached.

eatcrow2
07-27-2014, 06:11 AM
Outstanding photos, showing wonderful clean work!!

at6
07-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Beautiful work. :)

günter
08-09-2014, 03:12 PM
The tower 5
I had to decide the sequential arrangement how to attach the tabs.

günter
08-09-2014, 03:14 PM
For the stairs I made a template.

fleetsailor1981
08-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Those building look awesome:)

southwestforests
08-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Oh, with that many tiny tabs packed that densely, yes, can see where sequence could make or break the end result.
Looks good. I admire your work.

Don Boose
08-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Nice work. The stair template is a very useful idea. It would be hard to get the stairs aligned so precisely working freehand.

Don

Vermin_King
08-09-2014, 09:46 PM
I stumbled onto the 'template' idea when I was working on the nursing home train display. The mine car ride cars would be horrible to do without doing them this way. I wish I had used thicker material like you did on the stairs. It would have been much easier. Very nicely done.

günter
08-10-2014, 01:01 AM
Thanks friends for your comments. Well appreciated.

House no.4, nothing special.

günter
08-30-2014, 03:59 PM
House no. 5
The pillars at the balcony are a bit too long. I only realized it, when I wanted to attach the roof. so better first attach the roof, then glue the shortened pillars. If they are shorter than necessary, never mind, nobody will notice, that they don't reach the ground http://www.kartonist.de/images/Smile/Augenzwingern.gif . For the roof I made the usual template. After this the house "disappears" in the town.

Johannes
08-31-2014, 12:22 AM
Hello Günter! That's an amazing model! And with your great work is a masterpiece. Thank you for the beautiful pictures! Fantastic!
Best
Johannes

günter
09-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Hallo Johannes,
Danke für dein Lob!

House no. 6
The half-timbered wall had to be attached separately. Another idea of Viskovsky.

günter
09-28-2014, 02:29 PM
House no. 7
is built very asymmetrically. So I made templates for the house and for the roof.

günter
09-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Tower no.6
With the help of a template it got the right shape.

günter
09-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Wall, terrace and tower no.7
I attached the crenels first to the inner wall and after this glued the outer wall against the crenels, so I could adjusted them if necessary.

günter
09-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Section W is done!

SCEtoAUX
09-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Very good results so far. :)

Looks crowded.:)

Vermin_King
09-28-2014, 04:22 PM
You are making great progress. I wish I had room for something like this

günter
03-21-2015, 04:18 PM
Hi,
Time flies! But I'm back now;).

Section Y, house no.14 and 15
We are changing from east to west of the town. How do I know? Well, churches have been built with the apse, the part where the altar is, to the east. There is the the Holy Land with Jerusalem.
House no.14 - nothing special.

günter
03-21-2015, 04:24 PM
House no.15 has a tower surrounded by the roof. Plus there is an overhead passage leading to the cloister.

günter
03-21-2015, 04:30 PM
5 years ago I started with the town! Unfortunately I didn't had time lately to biuld. After all a bit has been done:
House no. 12+13 and the tower no.9.
With the roof I tranfered one tab (red arrow)

günter
03-21-2015, 04:35 PM
The tower
The base has a mistake. A small stripe had to be removed.

günter
03-21-2015, 04:38 PM
House no.11
Behind the windows I attached toothsticks to keep the form.

günter
03-21-2015, 04:43 PM
House no. 10 and tower 8
Maybe it's not a bad idea to show in detail how I built the house:
First the wall is cut out, the folding lines are marked with a blunt knife and the tabs are folded. Lines on the back are marked with a needle. The tabs on the bottom are all folded down as I want to build the models as "stand alone" and not attach them to the base. It is easier to fold long tabs if you place them at the edge of the table.
Now all the "wholes" are cut out. The cut out parts I place them so that I can correlate the numbers to the parts which should be attached behind, especially if the openings are similar in size.

günter
03-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Next the frames are cut out. I cut part of the tabs off to avoid, that they can be seen later on. The same with the corners to avoid overlapping. Before attaching them to the wall I paint the edges, as it would be impossible to do that later on without also painting the wall.

günter
03-21-2015, 04:55 PM
The windows:
Vyskovsky has many variations of building windows. From simple printing to real threedimensional. Normally there are different forms of windows in each model. Until now I did not find a pattern how Vyskovsky arranges the different forms of windows. But the result is always convincing!
Here we have the threedimensional version. The crossed tweezers helps to match the windowsides with the opening in the wall!

günter
03-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Doors with arch:
Between side and arch I don't mark or fold, although Vyskovsky indicates so! After cutting out and folding the arch will be prerounded( this English doesn't sound very good to me?). After this I glue the corner tab and check whether the door fits. Sometimes a little bit has to be cut off. Now the door can be assembled an fixed with a shashlikstick.

Simple windows:
They are cut out like the frames and glued behind the opening.

After all windows and doors are assembled, the finished walls can be joined together.

günter
03-21-2015, 05:03 PM
The annex:
First I made two templates for the gables and fixed them to the roof. I did not dare to attach the annex with the arch in one piece. So I attached it piece by piece. Finally the roof was added.

günter
03-21-2015, 05:09 PM
The porch doesn't give any problems.

Before attaching the roof I fixed the corners to make sure the building will keep its shape. I assembled the roof and attached it in one piece. I applied lots of glue to have enough time to bring the tabs in proper position.

günter
03-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Now the plinths have to be adjusted (part no.76) and the cutting edges to be painted and the house is done! The short wall and the tower complete this section.

glounsbury
03-23-2015, 10:35 PM
Hi Gunter,

Glad to see you are still at this large project. Your work is top notch. I started mine 4-1/2 years ago and have about 2/3 of MPR II to finish. I already did MPR III. Needed a few breaks from the architecture. Don't know when I will do the castle.

günter
12-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Hi Fulks,
I'm still working on the city! As my former German Forum "kartonist.de" closed down, I had to save my reports and built them new in the other German forum "kartonbau.de". After I restored this report my former forum reopened under new name and admins: Die Kartonmodellbauer (http://www.die-kartonmodellbauer.de)
As it started from "scratch" and all the old reports are gone, I restored my report a second time whith more than 700 pictures!
Anyway, I will go on here now:

The Towngate

The only problem made one roof. But after I understood the
construction the problem could be solved. A template was helpfull, like
so often!

günter
12-29-2015, 12:43 PM
The rest was routine.

günter
12-29-2015, 12:48 PM
House no. 8 + 9
nothing special.

günter
12-29-2015, 12:51 PM
MPR III is (nearly) ready!!
Now only the watermill and the bridge is left. I will not build the Castle as I have a model of the renaissance castle of Stuttgart, which is simmilar to Viskovskys. With the bridge I am not sure as I have a model of the original Prague Bridge. Maybe I will build this later as a second one, when I extend the town.

As the watermill is situated in the river and the town has to be built on a higher level, I have to think how to manage this. The town shall be part of a diaroma which is filled with life. I don't think of an old town but of a nowadays town with an old downtown.
As you can see in the pictures of the town the way Viskovsky planned it, there are nearly only roofs seen. The wonderfull row of houses disapear in the narrow streets. Thats why I am thinking of rebuilding the town totaly new. E.g. I would like to surround the church by a marketplace. Of course I would like to shoe the model at exebtions but there are normaly rows of narrow tables. Any ideas?

Sakrison
12-29-2015, 05:11 PM
Are these kits still available anywhere?

JohnM
12-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Günter, for photos (or even video) you want to get a cheap Chinese endoscope to get down into the town streets and alleyways.

You can pay a small fortune for them, but if you look around on Ebay there are plenty of cheap ones that will do the job. I can't be sure, because I bought it a few years ago now, but this looks very much like the one I have.

5M 6 LED USB Waterproof Endoscope Borescope Snake Inspection Video Camera 7mm DT | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-6-LED-USB-Waterproof-Endoscope-Borescope-Snake-Inspection-Video-Camera-7mm-DT-/261692941382?hash=item3cee1d6446:g:EcEAAOSwyQtVg~F e)

Excellent build as usual. Oh if only I had the space, I'd so love to build this.

JohnM
12-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Are these kits still available anywhere?

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/jwment/i1250190-1.jpg

Didderick still has it listed, but there's no price showing, so it may be out of stock.

- Zeist Bouwplaten - Import, verkoop, ontwerp en productie van papieren schaalmodellen, maquettes en bouwplaten (cardmodels), Modelbouw, Rietveld cutoutmodels (http://www.zeistbouwplaten.nl/) Look under ARCHITECTUUR, TRADITIONEEL

günter
01-14-2016, 08:58 AM
The Watermill
First the base was assambled. After this the first building was sticked into the opening. For the second building templates were usefull.

günter
01-14-2016, 09:02 AM
As axis for the millweel I used a toothpick. The roof got a template as usual.
I atached the wall already now, because it serves as a support for the stairs.

Don Boose
01-14-2016, 02:05 PM
I like the mill. It has been most enjoyable to see this city taking shape.

Don

günter
01-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Ups, just noticed there is a wrong picture in the last thread!

elliott
01-17-2016, 03:57 PM
Nice job on the watermill Gunter! I like the archways that allow the mill race to pass under the house on the way to the mill wheel.

JohnM
01-17-2016, 05:04 PM
Regularly following two or three threads on this model town, I've often thought that many of these sections would make great stand alone models. This watermill being a typical case.

Exceptionally neat builds again Günter. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them as usual, but the odd distant shot showing where the elements fit into the whole model would be great ... or maybe you couldn't handle the inevitable flood of compliments? :)

günter
01-20-2016, 02:54 PM
Hi Jonny,
Look at answer 178!
I will build the town as Viskovsky planned it. But I won't glue the houses on the base, so I can make another base with a new placement, with open space in it, like old towns where some houses have been broken down, to get more space.
Look here: Meine Stadt (1:160) (http://www.die-kartonmodellbauer.de/index.php?thread/1615-meine-stadt-1-160/)

Townbuilding
Now the two levels have to be done. For the higher level I chose 2mm cardboard.
First the section for the watermill had to be done. Than I transfered the outline of the town onto the cardboard and cut accordingly.
Now I plastered the town because I don't like the original groundfloor. Plus it is more easy to place the buildings.
Good luck, I found ridges with 28x28mm, exact the deired high between the two levels! I cut them in pieces and stuck them on the cardboard. I did it the way that the maximum distance was not more than 60cm. This alowes me to place the model on even narrow tables on exebitiones.
Next step I created the waterfront and attached the walls. Now the Watermill could be placed.

günter
01-25-2016, 02:55 PM
The Bridge
First the top part with the too walls. Then one sidepart on which the arches are attached. Now the other sidepart are glued onto the arches. Here you have to work fast, as the 5 arches had to be glued all at once. Finally the wave breaker are added and the bridge is ready to be used.

günter
01-25-2016, 02:58 PM
Of course, such an importent building had to be decorated, best with sculptures of Saints.

Don Boose
01-25-2016, 03:12 PM
An excellent bridge. It makes a suitable entrance to the city.

Don

günter
01-31-2016, 10:56 AM
Thanks Don!
The Bridge Tower
The ceiling inside the tower will hardly be seen. I added some small wooden parts to the back of the windows, to make them more stable.

günter
02-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Connection to MPR I
First the connecting gate to MPR I are built.
Who noticed my mistake?

günter
02-11-2016, 03:15 PM
That's the result if you get too much routine! Good luck I am building a copy. So I coud make another print of the model.

günter
02-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Viskovsky suggests a small sideintrance as a connection to MPR I.

günter
02-11-2016, 03:19 PM
After MPR I has been brought temporary to the right level, both cities could be connected.

Papierschnitzel
02-13-2016, 12:41 AM
looks beautiful. makes me want to shrink and have a walk through the cities!

günter
02-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Hallo Papierschnitzel,
Du bist herzlich zu einer Stadtbesichtigung eingeladen

The base
I decided to use a 30mm styrofoam board as base. The buildings are on 2mm cardboard. Around these cardboards I glued 2mm board on the styrofoam so the buildings can't move. As the difference between river and town is 28mm I have to put 4mm (=2x2mm) under the river.

günter
03-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Landscaping
First the riverbank got its shape. Next a road has been built, so that the tourists can visit the town. This road ends at the riverbank untill a second bridge is erected. Of course, the parking places are very important. The touristoffice mentioned, not to save expenses on busparking spaces. Next a park along the town wall will be done.

Papierschnitzel
03-03-2016, 11:57 PM
Danke Günter! Ich melde mich wenn ich in der Nähe bin :-)

This is looking awesome. I love the bridge.

günter
03-06-2016, 02:43 PM
It's getting green!

My first attempt on landscape design! For the hedge I made an ashlar,
painted it green and add foiliage. As I am acology-minded, I added a
Busstop.

southwestforests
03-10-2016, 02:39 AM
Wonder what bus fare to this town is from Kansas City; it would be fun to go take a walk through and see what they've got in book stores and food shops. Of course one would want to bring fresh batteries for their camera; and/or a sketchbook and pencils :)

günter
03-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Hi southwestforests,
You have to fly to Prague and from there by bus. Bus fares in Czech Republic are cheap! :-)

Hi,
A little mor landscape and the connection to the bridge.

JohnM
03-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Hmmm? The town looks great , Günter, but I've always had a small problem with all the buildings looking so new and in pristine squared condition. OK, I could imagine being transported back into medieval times and feel OK with that ... but now you've introduced a parking area and modern coaches, the city sort of takes on a Disney film set appearance. The colours are too bright and the roofs are too straight for it to be a preserved old town in modern times.

Just my opinion. Please don't take this as a criticism of your immaculate work on this. I doubt that anyone could adequately age and wonkify all those buildings. Easier to make a mud parking area with horses, carriages, and carts I think.:rolleyes:

günter
03-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Hi Johny,
I think there has never been a town like this in real! Btw. the town is not a medieval town as there are also baroque houses. But even in the 17th century I believe have been old buildings in not so good conditions.
On the other hand in Europe there are som towns with a historical center which they keep in very good original condtion because of the tourism.