PDA

View Full Version : the Ermine steamboat

birder
04-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Well, time allowed today to build a bit, am scratch building without plans, cad or rhino,(poor me;)) so can't say it's pretty, but it's a start
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_1529.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_1528.jpg
the actual craft had an unknown underwater shape, but might have been like this, comparing to craft of the era with similar approximate dimentions. This actually looks alot better than I thought it would at this point, have not imported into photoshop so this is 100% hand drawn so far. Had to show Don I hadn't fumbled the ball ... yet. The funnel does not just go to the deck like this, it enters an engine room that is not shown. It is a tourist type boat, with red/white/blue fringe that goes around the awnings. 1902.

Don Boose
04-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Glen --

I like it! It will look great in color with the fringe around the awning. What is the gadget at the front of the awning? A whistle?

Steam on! Can't wait to see the finished version.

Don
(On the lookout for leps in my garden: currently nothing but house sparrows, house finches, and one lone hairy woodpecker.)
(Added: and a red cardinal -- very pretty.)

birder
04-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks, Don it is a bit fun to do, on the front upper is a gas light, a small whistle is just before the stack. for riders there are picnic tables, benches and a rail around the whole thing that does not look like it came from the boat-builder. I like the painter, and the straight bow and the holiday look of the whole thing. You know, Don, quite a few butterflies hibernate the winter (the last hatch if multiple) including the mourning cloak, so can show up on any nice day. My son cought me a beautiful female garter snake yesterday and saved it for me to hold (even though I got home past his bedtime):)

Phil
04-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Now that is impressive! That's the way paper models were done before computers!

birder
04-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Thank-you Phil, I hope it looks good when I am finished with it. The benefit of computers is when you want to make another one!

Zathros
04-27-2008, 08:26 AM
This has the beginnings of a really excellent model. I love the lines. I think a lot of people would like it even all white, (I would).. It is easy enough to fill in you own details. Nice job.

birder
04-27-2008, 10:00 AM
You are very kind, Zathros, it is a simple model, really, but it's a good idea to leave a white one for others to color as they wish. Don I like your yard birds just the Hairy alone is a good bird for me. We did go for a hike yesterday and had moose prints on the trail, glacier lilies blooming all over and spring birds aplently. Warblers, too. Mallards at the bird feeder taking bread from our hand and Canada Geese with 8 little fluffballs. Very nice day. Back to the job today, though, 12 hours, but if any breaks have printed a little tiny blue for my next butterfly. Stop me if I'm rambling

birder
05-15-2009, 06:40 PM
This is an attempt to adapt Magnus Mork's very nice little steam tug to more like the Ermine,
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2487.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2488.jpg
In the small original scale this is a superb model by Magnus, nice build, but is 50% of the size of this boat, and differs in proportions.

Don Boose
05-16-2009, 04:03 AM
This one has very pleasing lines, Glen. Not as "cute," but perhaps more "businesslike" than your original. They both have their own merits.

Don

eatcrow2
05-16-2009, 06:00 AM
Very impressive!!! I like anything from this era........:)

birder
05-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Thank you Don, that is what I was thinking, although to use and existing hull with formers save me an enourmous amount of time, in fact was the reason I tried this alteration. Perhaps with the fringe and painter, name stack and flag will obtain the festive look more (have a great day Don!)
Thank you also Peter, it is interesting to pick up a thread a year later.:)