PDA

View Full Version : I Love papermodels!

Phil
05-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Just an experiment, the title says it all, but is not the point of this thread.

It is a war against Love and Hate...let us see which one wins.

I expect very few replies and very few views.

dansls1
05-13-2008, 08:05 AM
I Love papermodels!

I agree. In addition to card models, I built tons of plastic models, built my share of stick and tissue models, dabbled in RC and spent a bit of time painting miniatures for tabletop wargaming. Of all of them, paper modelling is the most rewarding to me. And not just from the responses I get from other people, but I really enjoy the challenge of forming something out of paper that looks like the subject in real life. That development of a 3d object from 2d is so satisfying. I can only imagine the added satisfaction you designers get from seeing something go from your head to a 3d object, whether in your own build or by other builders.

rickstef
05-13-2008, 08:28 AM
I love paper models

I hate paper models

I love plastic models

I hate plastic models

I love RC models

I hate RC models

I love train models

I hate train models

I love .........

I hate .........

romfolmar
05-13-2008, 08:28 AM
I Too love paper models. Love to build and love to look at. Happy modeling to all

cgutzmer
05-13-2008, 08:44 AM
I love paper models

I hate paper models

I love plastic models

I hate plastic models

I love RC models

I hate RC models

I love train models

I hate train models

I love .........

I hate .........

I love Victoria Secret models

I hate..... no wait, I dont!

heh heh.

Great thread Phil! My latest is combining card modeling and model rocketry.... I will share some blast off (or blow up depending how it goes) pictures when complete!
Chris

Johnny
05-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Papermodels are ok.....
I love my family :)

willygoat
05-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I love paper models and the RED WINGS!!!!! That's for you Dan :D
I like stick and tissue and plastic.
I HATE glue globs on my fingers that smudge the ink on my models.

member_3
05-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Ummmm...Rick, can you spell conflicted???

rickstef
05-13-2008, 10:16 AM
conflikted

cornflipted

Sorry Ron, I can't

Zathros
05-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Isn't this cross-posting?:cool:

dansls1
05-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Zathros, no matter what anybody tells you, I have not worn a dress, skirt or even kulak's!

Zathros
05-13-2008, 10:58 AM
So it isn't "dansis wid wolves"?

dansls1
05-13-2008, 11:14 AM
So it isn't "dansis wid wolves"?

Lol - no but good one ;)

Actually since you asked, it's Dan's LS1. It is also my personalized license plate, and refers the the engine in my 2004 GTO. It is the Chevy 'LS1' 5.7 Liter aluminum sleeved block engine shared with the C5 corvettes, up to and including 2004. (2005 'vette's and GTO's went to a 6.0 liter LS2 engine).

And to link this to the original thread - I would absolutely love to have a card model of a 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO / Holden Monaro. I can pass along pictures and measurements as needed if anybody with the talent and ability to design such were interested :D

Zathros
05-13-2008, 12:18 PM
No pic of the car! Sounds like a dream machine. I am getting rid of my 1973 450SL, I don't feel like re-restoring it but am going to re-do my '73 MG Midget. Here's a joke of an engine compared to yours. I blueprinted the motor, shot peened the rods, went to 3 ring forged pistons 10 degree Kent cam and a weber DCOE 40 with a header. It has 11,000 on the motor re-build. I just got a tranny with 38,000 original miles and rear end to match (same car). The body has to be re-done though (This is a long project due to my bad back). I am doing the car from the inside out. and I would LOVE a paper model of an MG Midget, which I have never seen. Zathros is from my misspelling of the characters name on the sci-fi show Babylon 5. Here is a link for an incredible free game based on that show called "The Babylon Project".

http://babylon.hard-light.net/

This game plays like the series with virtually the same level of graphics.

dansls1
05-13-2008, 12:32 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~cthulu969/Dscn4846.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~cthulu969/Dscn4841.jpg
*Warning for modem folks, these are large pic's ;)

My dad's first car was a '66 MG Midget (British racing green, of course). I don't know the specifics, but he had a racing cam, fender flares and 8" wide tires around. He also had a 1951 MG YA sedan - 1/6 made that year with the steering wheel on the left for driving in the US.

The midget is a car that would seem to lead itself to a paper model - they were fairly popular, raced expensively in addition to being a fun street car, and not horribly difficult curves to generate (I wouldn't think anyway). I could see a whole range of British sports cars. Somebody was just talking about purchasing a Triumph TR6 in Europe in a post around here, Ashrunner I think? My personal favorite would be a Bug-eye sprite. My mom actually had a different midget that somebody had converted a bug-eye sprite front end onto for a short while - cute little car ;)

Philip
05-13-2008, 01:00 PM
You were wrong. Here is my contribution:

http://www.qfrases.com/english/buddha.php

All the best,

Philip

Zathros
05-13-2008, 01:39 PM
@danssl1: Is that you daily driver? I'm envious. I have been toying with the idea of making a paper model of my Midget but I am afraid some one would pirate it.......Ha Ha Ha HA!!!!! I may actually do it if I can bring my pain level down long enough to stare at a computer screen for hours on end. I use Rhino but I am not very good at it. I could probably fabricate one out of sheet aluminum easier as I have a small machine shop in my Barn. I would like to paint my car British racing green but since it was blue I would have to re-do the engine well, which frankly isn't really in bad shape so blue it will remain. I would LOVE a paper model one, so as not to hijack this thread.

Scott K
05-13-2008, 02:30 PM
I love Papermodels! So many freebies to download and build! So much easier to take along and build anywhere! No expensive adhesives or paints needed! So easy to fix a mistake, or make many copies!

I hate Papermodels! I won't live long enough to build my giant stockpile of them, either!

Design a model of my current car? Well, my son wants me to, but, all those curves, yikes!

Scott K.

Thomas Meek
05-13-2008, 04:49 PM
I love paper models. I like the process that goes from:

"I want to build that."
to:
"This is going together well."
to:
"This must be the tough part."
to:
"Ak! I'm never gonna finish this *%&*#^!"
to:
"Wow! It's really looking good."
to:
"Dang! There it is. Done. And a beauty too. I guess there's still a blade left in the old Exacto after all."
to:
"Omigod, it's 3:00AM!"

It's an almost mystical process of which I have not tired these 54 years.

My first paper models were traced with carbon paper from a book called "Card Castles and How to Make Them." Then I graduated to things like the Venitian gondola in the back of the Britanica Junior.
I left them alone for awhile until I found a book about paper models in the high school library. Played around with a few of those, messed around with various paper craft projects (geometric figures mostly) over the years. About three years ago I discovered the internet and downloaded a few freebies. Been hooked ever since.
I have purchased quite a few kits, both paper hard copies and digital, but most of my builds so far have been freebies because I am (with good reason) afraid of botching them up and destroying a beautiful piece of printing. As time goes on I gain courage, though.

I like this forum; you're a great bunch of people, even when you fight.

Good thoughts to all

Thomas

B-Manic
05-13-2008, 05:16 PM
I love building paper models, finishing them is a problem though.
I love looking at paper models and talking about them. I love giving them as gifts (the few I complete). I love discussing paper models here on this forum with all of you.

lee4752
05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
I love all sorts of models. Now that I'm married with kids, paper models are the only ones I can afford. Seeing as how some of you started on about the models you'd like to see, how about an O2U. Since Corsairs are the most talked about, and I would guess beloved of all paper models, where is the original?

Texman
05-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Isn't this cross-posting?:cool:

Phil's a cross poster?

akremedy
05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
My personal favorite would be a Bug-eye sprite. My mom actually had a different midget that somebody had converted a bug-eye sprite front end onto for a short while - cute little car ;)

My dad had a bugeye sprite - they're terribly hard to come by (in decent condition) these days it seems. His accidently rolled into the lake they lived on - he and three or four buddies picked it up, carried it back on-shore, dried it out, and all was fine.

Adam

akremedy
05-13-2008, 10:53 PM
I love all sorts of models. Now that I'm married with kids, paper models are the only ones I can afford.

LOL - same here...who can afford the mortgage, child care, *and* the incredibly high price of plastic models these days?? Not me.

Paper models are great - purchased once or freely downloaded, not a big loss if they're destroyed, and no guilt if I never get around to finishing it.

Adam