PDA

View Full Version : Northrup Flying Wings

Scott K
05-19-2008, 09:04 PM
I started this some time ago, and finally got back to working seriously on it Saturday. I have the AMT/ERTL p*****c kits of the XB-35 and YB-49, and I always wanted to do a YRB-49 conversion. Well, prices being what they are, I didn't want to cut up a kit I couldn't replace anymore, so I decided to try it in paper. Since it will be a simple enough "conversion" to do this way, I've also decided to just go ahead and do all 3 in paper.

First up is the YRB-49. With a wingspan of about 17.25" (438.15mm). the model sale out to just over 1/120 scale. I'll have to resize it to 1/100 or /144 once the design is done. The design/build is at about 70% at this point (at this scale, anyway). I also plan on doing a 1/72 version at some point as well. (Well, maybe, where would I put it?) Sorry for the poor pix, I need a bigger area to take them in. The model as it stands still needs the canopy, engine fairings and exhaust for the 4 in the wing, and the radar/photo pod on the bottom. The underwing engines forward ends are not correct yet, either. It's also lacking most of the panel lines. Once I had enough parts drawn, I couldn't wait to start building, and this is the result. Hope you like it, I do, so far anyway...

Scott K.

John Bowden
05-19-2008, 09:29 PM
cool! COOL! WAY COOL!

ummmm........ did it come across that I think is a very cool model?;)

john

willygoat
05-19-2008, 09:54 PM
SUUUUUUUWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this plane!! On a funny side note, my friend happens to share the namesake of that plane's designer, and is a quasi distant relative.

Zathros
05-20-2008, 04:23 AM
Nice looking model. Very Clean.

jagolden01
05-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Scott,

Thanks for tackling these aircraft!
Beautiful planes.
Looks like you're well on the way with the work you've already done.
When you're finished, commercial or free? Either way, I'll take 'em!

bclemens
05-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Excellent! Put me down for one (or two...)

billy.leliveld
05-20-2008, 02:08 PM
That's awsum...
I've build the Papertrade XB-49 which is cool, but this below zero!

whulsey
05-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Will be watching with great interest, one of my favorite series of aircraft. Had the AMT models, but were part of the sell off during my divorce. So if you decide to offer them when done would be interested. If not I'll just enjoy watching your work.

Scott K
05-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks, all, glad you like it. Billy, I'm not sure if this one compares to the Papertrade verson, but glad you like it too. I was considering doing a larger version and offering it to Chip, but haven't decided yet. If the small ones turn out OK, and are actually buildable, then I'll probably make 'em freebies.

Stay tuned....

Scott K.

Ashrunner
05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
The Northrop Flying Wings are a great subject and one which is (other than Paper Trade) over looked. Thanks for taking them on.

Phil
05-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Love it! Great job!:)

Gearz
08-10-2008, 05:49 AM
E.x.c.e.l.l.e.n.t subject choice Scott.! Not to sound cheapo, but I hope you do make them freebies, I'd love to build them ~ they'd look brilliant on silver card.

Any progress..? * There's some great footage of the Flying Wing.. umm.. think its the YB-49.. in the original 'War of the Worlds' movie. I could grab a few screen caps of it, if its of any use to you.

* Its probably to late, although have a great mesh of the XB-35. Nicely detailed and textured, PM an addy if you'd like it.

Scott K
06-23-2009, 03:08 PM
It's been a while since I worked on any of my wings, but I did do a bit last night. Just an experiment to see if things will fit right. Um, not so well. The engines need some major tweaking, mainly they look like they're angled up too much from the centreline, and, seperate prop blades are going to be too much of a pain at this scale (1/144). I also need to work up some proper hubs, too. Oh, well, that's what test builds are for.

Scott K.

jagolden01
06-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Coming along very well!
The engines do seem to point up a little too much but the fit on them looks great.

1/72 PLEASE! or 600 dpi resolution.

APA-168
06-24-2009, 01:11 PM
wow, it seems we have three Northrop flying wings currently in progress. Excellent! Looks great so far! :D

TomW
06-24-2009, 06:43 PM
1/33! 1/33! Hi-Res Gots to do justice to my favorite A/C of all times!!!!:D

TomW.