PDA

View Full Version : Beta Build Like

desney
04-06-2011, 02:21 AM
just a thought...

why can't designers and specially publishers of printed kits, offer a "beta build like" parts? devoid of colors and just those lines, rivets, etc.

it would be very helpful for a noobie who just want to try it out without having to pay for liters of ink to make a build right...

just a thought...

what say you?

goodduck
04-06-2011, 08:56 AM
If you thinking the publishers offer line only template like a coloring book for a lower price so people can color the model anyway they like, I like that. But if you thinking publishers offer the line template for free even it is a beta, that not going to happen. Template is everything. Be as uncolored or beta. Once the publisher give out the template, game over for the model. Everyone can go color the template anyway they like it, why pay just to get the color version. But, I would buy a line model for a lower price just so I can color it myself cause some models out there, the coloring are just not really all that good.

Rubenandres77
04-06-2011, 10:53 AM
As Goodduck said, releasing a b/w lineart would be almost like releasing a master file. No publisher would risk that.

However, it would be interesting if the publishers released only a couple of parts of a model.

For example: I have not build any Halinski kits. I don't know in personal experience how is it to build one. Maybe if Halinski offered a sample (like one wheel, or a nose, or just the pilot's seat) in b/w in their website, I could download, test my skills, and decide if I can do it, so I feel inclined towards buying the full model or not.

That would be interesting. But that would be also be deceiving: a wheel, a nose or a pilot seat do not represent the overall difficult of the model (all wheels are worked more or less the same way). But of course Halinski would not release a complete free b/w model. And I don't know how something like free samples could affect the sales of a model.

On the other hand, let's have a look at the Renova case:

This is the link to the Renova Free models: Renova-Model (http://www.renova-model.com.pl/index.php?f=free)

As you can see, they are only lines. Just the templates.
However, those free samples are not exactly simple or poor. They are quite good templates, and interesting examples of what the standard of the Renova models is.

But Renova is the only case I know of a commercial publisher releasing free b/w models.

desney
04-06-2011, 10:17 PM
As Goodduck said, releasing a b/w lineart would be almost like releasing a master file. No publisher would risk that.

@Rubenandres77: my opinion to this was, with or without the b/w lineart, pirates would still find a way to copy and reproduce our beloved models :mad:

ok, how about this, after purchasing a printed copy, you can request for download a b/w lineart from the publisher/s for free so that only legitimate owners can have "practice parts" before taking on the colored one? is this plausible?

it's easier for this method if the model is in digital form right? (calling ecardmodels, gremir) :)

GreMir
04-07-2011, 04:26 AM
...it's easier for this method if the model is in digital form right? (calling ecardmodels, gremir) :)

Impractical. If you already have the electronic model you can print as many copies as you want in the quality you wish (draft, b/w only etc).

Ron40
04-07-2011, 06:50 AM
desney,
What you are proposing is preposterous. The manufacturer or designer
is not going to provide you with a Master line drawing just to provide
you with training to do their model and to save as you say ink. This is
why most of the mainstream producers of models do not have a down-
loadable model. It would put them out of business. The internet has
already has it's rampant share of pirates who would love to see this.
There are plenty of free models you can gain experience on. I can see
no justification for you to save ink while putting the manufactures and
designers at risk. You have not thought out the ramifications of this
request and your obvious self centered desires.....Ron

goodduck
04-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Let not jump all over desney. Even it is not colored, somebody still have to put in a tons of time designing it, desney. I would ask for publishers to offer the b/w as a option to purchase but not asking for free. We do got thousands and thousands of freebie available like Ron40 said. But it is a good thought. Just not going to happen tho. :D

Zathros
04-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Desney, I think you're answer lies in a C.I.S.S. ink system for your printer. This will totally negate the ink issue. Ink is expensive if you buy retail. In some countries, all you get is O.E.M. ink.

desney
04-09-2011, 06:57 AM
i am a bit offended by Ron40's reply saying that my request is preposterous, and that i am self centered.

and to think that i just bought a printed kit, two in fact, from WAK, shipping and all. i also purchased marek's new Mustang P-51A from ecardmodels, the BF109T from Gremir, the P40M from modelart. am i not supporting wholeheartedly our designers and publishers? do i really deserve to be called self centered now?

i'm just asking if it's possible at all to include in the purchase or by request a b&w lineart version of the kit...now if it's not, maybe a simple N-O reply would have suffice...

desney
04-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Desney, I think you're answer lies in a C.I.S.S. ink system for your printer. This will totally negate the ink issue. Ink is expensive if you buy retail. In some countries, all you get is O.E.M. ink.

i am using ciss, but it's not waterproof at all. i'm using elmers and it messes up the print. non-water based glue are not readily available here in the philippines. anyway my questions are answered, thanks.

Zathros
04-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Elmer's is probably the worse thing to use. I would go to a craft store, maybe someplace that sells sewing goods, as they will have waterproof glue used for clothing, (attaching shiny bits and the like).

GreMir
04-09-2011, 08:48 PM
desney,
Two glues I use:
Beacon's 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue for large surfaces
Tombo Mono Aqua for everything else not requiring CA glue
No idea about availability in your area, but Zathros' advice about craft store is certainly worth checking.

John Wagenseil
04-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Many Fiddler's Green models includes a B&W version. These are easy to build and then paint with brush and dilute water colours, you get a rather retro appearing model that looks like the way old hand designed models look, particularly the ABCs with their pastel toned down color schemes .

eric_son
04-15-2011, 08:39 AM
I use elmer's white glue. The trick is to spray your printed kit with a water color fixative before assembling.

Anyway, when I want to do a test build, I set my printer to print in B&W, and in economode.