PDA

View Full Version : Is 1:33 a common paper scale?

ronaldom
04-30-2011, 02:55 PM
I just finished a project under 1:50 scale and several modellers ask me increase this scale. I really would make it in a current scale, but i don't want create 1:25 paper, it demand so many details.
I already had used 1:33, is it a current scale for paper modeling? I not sure.
Culd someone tell me some information abaoute this scale?
Is it an usual scale?
Which designers use it?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused:

SJPONeill
04-30-2011, 03:08 PM
It is a common and traditional scale for paper models, especially aircraft; it origins are somewhere in the Eastern European side of paper modelling. However, it's not an either/or between 1/33 and 1/32 which is the most common scale is this size for plastic aircraft modelling (1/35 for military vehicles). If you are designing an aircraft, then either 1/33 or 1/33 would be OK; if a vehicle that would be displayed alongside aircraft then either 1/32 or 1/33; if a vehicle more likely to be displayed alongside other military vehicles, then 1/35 or possibly 1/40. However, one of the great things about paper modelling is that the builder can adjust the scale themselves...

Rubenandres77
04-30-2011, 03:14 PM
1:33 and 1:32 are very common paper model scales.
Specially in airplanes.

1:33 is mostly common in Europe, where most publishers
have released their printed models at this scale. Lots of
airplanes from GPM, Fly Model, Maly, Halinksi, etc are 1:33.

I think that 1:32 is more common in the USA aircraft kits.
Probably because it has a direct ratio to imperial measures.
You can find more about it here: 1:32 scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1:32_scale)

So, when we talk about airplanes, yes, 1:32 and 1:33 are
common scales. But when dealing with cars, ships, or tanks,
they are usually presented in other scales. It is definitely not
a good idea to build the Titanic at 1:33. Not at all.

However, they are not the only scale, or the fixed standard scale
to build airplanes. Since the digital kits can be enlarged/shrinked
now it is common to see other scales in aircraft, depending on
the modeler's needs or preferences.

You can find a comprehensive list of scales and its uses here:
List of scale model sizes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scale_model_sizes)

You are not restricted to use a determinate scale in your models.
There are no fixed rules for it, and unless it is a specific rule for a
contest or something like that, no one will discriminate you for your
scale preference.

Probably the best for you is to choose a scale that suits your needs;
many modelers prefer aircraft at 1:48, 1:50 or even 1:72 and 1:100
for space reasons. Some others that go for detail prefer 1:32, 1:24,
or even 1:16. It is mostly a personal choice.

The best scale, is the one that you feel most comfortable with ;)

Zathros
04-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I think non military cars (plastic anyways) are usually 1/25 or 1/24 scale. The big ones are 1/12 or 1/16 scale. This is what I have noticed for cars and truck models again, non military. To be honest, I think your truck would be better at 1/24 or 1/25 to fit along side some of the available paper or plastic models. I believe Canon Paperrcraft cars are 1/24 scale. I could be wrong, this is just what I have noticed. That was one reason I asked how big you were making you fantastic truck at. It would make the basis of a great diorama.

Jerry V
04-30-2011, 03:27 PM
It is definitely not a good idea to build the Titanic at 1:33. Not at all.

That would be what is called a ¨Titanic project¨ ;)

ronaldom
04-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Thank's all for the tips and answers. I really like to build my Collection in 1:50 or 1/72.
But i like distribute these papers for others modellers and i see a general preference for a big size, then once i finish my model, i resize it for 1:33 and everyone is happy!
Thank's for eliminate my doubt!

richkat
05-01-2011, 01:07 PM
A 1/33 scale Titanic? Oh yea BIG.......COOL.......Rich

legion
05-01-2011, 02:08 PM
With a 1/33 scale Titanic, you'd need to own your own shipyard. And make it out of aluminium.

Zathros
05-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Thank's all for the tips and answers. I really like to build my Collection in 1:50 or 1/72.
But i like distribute these papers for others modellers and i see a general preference for a big size, then once i finish my model, i resize it for 1:33 and everyone is happy!
Thank's for eliminate my doubt!

At 1/32, if you make it with enough DPI, it could easily be enlarged to whatever size anyone could possibly want.