PDA

View Full Version : Prudenzio Zara

doctormax
05-27-2011, 03:17 AM
23 pages of parts in this kit and well I got 17 printed before epsom gave that light that tells you buy ink please. then stopped doing anything in the middle of the page so I suppose it is more a case of hey man you trying to wreck our minds in epsom. I figure 17 pages will give a start on it till i buy ink anyway what i can see i can get a fair bit done with what is printed. I also got a few kits printed but will do a thread on them individually. but this is going to be the biggie. I may not start building this till got the others done anyway but the planes don't look like they take to long to build.

cjwalas
05-27-2011, 06:24 AM
This will be really fascinating to watch. I had the temptation to try this one also; glad you've taken it on and I'll be following closely. From the photos on the site, it looks like this builds into a beautiful model.
Chris

doctormax
05-27-2011, 06:39 AM
This will be really fascinating to watch. I had the temptation to try this one also; glad you've taken it on and I'll be following closely. From the photos on the site, it looks like this builds into a beautiful model.
Chris that is what got me to think of it and why not try my first ship build with this one my cutty sark got messed up by my unwanted guests the mice last year. I figured no point in risking getting sick touching a model that had mouse doo doo on it so went in the bin. the photos on the site really do make it look super this. judging by the former it be pretty big as well who knows get it finished and put into a hobby shop as a display but that is the future I wanna see more people get into this hobby in Ireland its my little goal. So far got some school into it a bit for school projects they go to canon for kits to build. a start anyway.

Papercaptain
05-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Good afternoon, doctormax!

Zio Prudenzio's "Zara" is a good choice for trying your hand at a ship. Although I'm not sure if it's in 1/200 as stated (the lifeboats do look somehow exaggerated), this model is attractive and not too complicated. So, I'm looking forward to your building report.

Kind regards -
Papercaptain

doctormax
05-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Hi guys the ship is under construction. due to the size of my build table a bit of planning is gong to be needed really. the model is near twice the length of my build table and the other table is not much bigger but i will figure a way around the table problem when i need to. right now I just continue on the build. the only large flat surface i can find right now in the flat is the wall i think i go looking in a skip for some long bid of wood later on doesn't need to be to wide just a bit longer. another think i don't think need to lamenate the slit for parts to fit in is pretty tight with the card i am using no idea do it it will work out well that for building on top of but if it works good if not then it could be a problem

Papercaptain
05-28-2011, 07:28 AM

Methinks your next step should be building a bigger working table ;)

When I had the same problem, I had a look around in the neighbourhood, where there were some shops going to be renovated (read: demolished first). And there was the solution: A big piece of a shop window's glass, ~ 4' x 2' and 1/2'' thick (120 x 60 x 1,2 cm). It took me just a package of cigarettes to salvage it from being broken...and of course some smoothing of the edges later. And now it rests on two foldable legs when needed, if not, it's flattened against the wall.

You cold do something similar by using plywood (~ 6 to 8 mm), framing it with 20 x 30 mm ledges and then putting his upon your normal table or screwing it along the wall to fold down when not used.

Kind regards -
Papercaptain

doctormax
05-29-2011, 11:04 AM
well found a bit a wood and done a bit more work on the frame the big question do is coming up

cjwalas
05-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Moving along quickly! How do you like this kind of frame? I've never built a model using this system, but I hear it's easier than reinforced formers.
Chris

doctormax
05-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Moving along quickly! How do you like this kind of frame? I've never built a model using this system, but I hear it's easier than reinforced formers.
Chris I think now it would have been easier to just cut and do the center spine first onto what is the base and then the spurs out from that. i found that a bit akward to be honest after doing the spine and them spurs first. So that be my learning experience on this method. glue parts for base first then do the cuts and bending and gluing of center spine in place. then when that is done start on them spurs. should i call them spurs are ribs i suppose ribs be the better term. its going to take up a lot of the room in this bedsit of mine. i am guessing here but its over a meter long and i reckon it be about seven inches high when finished right now maybe a little less maybe a bit more will find that out in time do.

Barry
05-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Coming along well Max

doctormax
05-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Coming along well Max thanks barry how is my USS Eishenhower coming along will i need to scavange a bigger bit of waste wood like picnic baskets to make that beauty of yours barry?

doctormax
05-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Well I must say I am building this a different way to it is in the instructions not by habit but the parts needed to do it in the order he has in the instructions are the six pages not printed. so must continue i suppose the handy way of the method shown is you need a bit less space till last few stages. I continue now for a few hours. I hope to have the hull done with the decking this evening but not sure as i can't find some of the parts so may be a problem on that front due to running out of the ink looks like the bear be on ebay buying ink today. a bit earlier than planned due to parts not printed to get a bit done. so i suppose i do have the other planes ready printed and if that happens I will pick one of them to build while waiting for ink to arrive.

doctormax
05-30-2011, 12:38 PM
hold on is Thursday the second of June? I need to hurry up then to get this finished by Friday that annoying neighbour better not disturb me again. can i use your laptop and takes over it for five long hours that is just rude if you ask me

doctormax
05-30-2011, 02:44 PM
another bit of an update. at least i got part of the hull done not all thanks to a neighbour wanting to use the laptop for a few minutes that turned into four hours.

doctormax
05-31-2011, 06:12 AM
well that is the hull done, now to see what else can assemble with what is printed before the ink arrives its marked as dispatched so bit of luck it be here by thursday. by the way my cutting mat seems to be warped a bit how do i get it back to be flat? its driving me nuts ;)

doctormax
05-31-2011, 06:26 AM
I have no idea where I am going to keep it when finished are photograph it. my flat is not so big and is grubby to say the least. It be sure to get wrecked in my place if here for any real length of time. why i am rushing i suppose really to finsih it i know with the little space its going to be moved and that means trouble big trouble. right now it is sitting on the only place it can on top of the epsom printer the only place in the flat where it can go and not be move so much

B-Manic
05-31-2011, 06:48 AM
well that is the hull done, now to see what else can assemble with what is printed before the ink arrives its marked as dispatched so bit of luck it be here by thursday. by the way my cutting mat seems to be warped a bit how do i get it back to be flat? its driving me nuts ;)

Run hot or very warm water over the cutting mat until it is heated through, lay flat, cover with flat heavy object(s) until completely cool.

Papercaptain
05-31-2011, 08:19 AM

Well, there's always the wall to fix it on. When I was a boy, my ship models were put on shelves made of thin plywood (around 3-4 mm, with stiffening frames around the edges). These were connected in 3 tiers by pieces of string and then hung from a peg at the wall. Like this: /\
.................................................. ......./__\
.................................................. ......[___]
.................................................. ......[___]
If you are not so delicate about materials you could do this in a similar fashion but using thick triple glued cardboard or corrugated cardboard (Wellpappe) instead.
The other way would be making a shelf of thick (triple) cardboard the size of the ship, adding two triangles at both ends and bending them down at points a and b like this:
_ a_________________________________________b__
\ |................................................. ..................| /
.\|__________________________________________|/

Now you can glue some straps of bristol cardboard (reinforced with aluminium cut in form from yoghurt lids or something) to these points reaching slightly over the surface of the shelf and then nailing them unto the wall.

Kind regards -
Papercaptain

doctormax
05-31-2011, 01:37 PM
theres the problem the landlord won't let me even put a nail in the wall, but back to the build of the Zara.

doctormax
06-01-2011, 05:37 AM
more update a fair bit to do on this part as of yet but its getting there.

doctormax
06-01-2011, 12:26 PM
well there is a lot of cutting I also wish i thought of the qtip when putting them tube things up the side and into the parts would have saved a good deal of crushed card but happy enough it turned out pretty well. a bit more to cut and glue for this part than you would think just have the part on the ship hull its not glued down got a fair bit to do yet before i do glue her down.

Darwin
06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Looking good. I hope I can find the 'safe place' I put my CD with Zio's Scharnhorst and Graf Spee on it. Even better if they will eventually get posted on Zio's new website.

doctormax
06-02-2011, 03:08 AM
Looking good. I hope I can find the 'safe place' I put my CD with Zio's Scharnhorst and Graf Spee on it. Even better if they will eventually get posted on Zio's new website.
Ah thats interesting wonder what scale they are in the mean time the ink has not arrived so it looks more like it be next tuesday before the ink arrives. Only tommorow for post and then its the long weekend but got plenty i can do on the build without the resupply of ink. has anyone got a clue what this part is? i think it is to long to be part DTP1-2 but can't find a part DTP1-2 on the kit so it must be it really using the sherlock homes method of card model investigation. so leaving it to last i think be the best way really

doctormax
06-02-2011, 09:40 AM
update well i was having trouble with the gurders been so small so does it matter if I don't cut out the gaps on small ones will find out when its done i suppose if they make it look bad.

Barry
06-02-2011, 10:22 AM
The part looks to be the top half of the funnel Doc

doctormax
06-03-2011, 02:01 AM
The part looks to be the top half of the funnel Doc
could be i am sure it belong somewhere. I suppose I find out when i get the other parts done then it be screaming at me heres where i go.( wonder where it went it seems to have fallen down somewhere with my lotto ticket has the funnel ran off with my lotto ticket and spending the money :) ) Ink did not arrive so looks like be out of printed parts by tommorow evening on the Zara. I can say now this is going to look a lovely looking ship when done. So far i can say this for advice for those who wish to build it.

when doing the hull. do the spine first onto the base. then the ribs onto the spine and the base. Do the instructions have to start with the guns for some reason i think much better to do the hull and then be able to glue parts to it when ready.

doctormax
06-03-2011, 07:24 AM
now in the process of finding parts that can be finished and put on the Zara that will not be in the way of other parts which is kind of fun really also helps make the Zara look that bit more finished than it is. Alright if i do all i can it won't have the funnels and the main guns when the printed parts run out but will be well on the way to been finished. I reckon at this rate there is maybe ten days left of the build on the kit maybe less.

Darwin
06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
I have my own theory why Zio tells you to build the small guns first. I dread the eyestrain and mindless repetition of building the little buggers....it is what has bogged down my work on the USS Colorado, and I'm still not psyched up enough to return to it. I guess his thinking is, if you are going to get builders block, it might as well be up front so you don't have a whole bunch of hours invested on the rest of the kit.

doctormax
06-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I have my own theory why Zio tells you to build the small guns first. I dread the eyestrain and mindless repetition of building the little buggers....it is what has bogged down my work on the USS Colorado, and I'm still not psyched up enough to return to it. I guess his thinking is, if you are going to get builders block, it might as well be up front so you don't have a whole bunch of hours invested on the rest of the kit. there is a lot of girders on it that others building may tackle more then I would some were just cut out what was about two milimeters square to be honest take my glasses off and would not see them

doctormax
06-04-2011, 12:38 PM
darn i lost a part for some reason i do not think it be a great idea to print out a page when i get ink to get what is just a part that on the sheet takes up. less than 2cm square. so wondering what to do. try and make up one with a part to suit are just add that part to one of the sheets that needs to be printed. that would seem wiser than printing a full a4 page for such a small part. that are else keep looking for it. In the mean time as the printed parts start to run out i have continued to do what can be done and assembled to the ship and I figure best to do them now before I do parts that will make it awkward to put them in place.

doctormax
06-05-2011, 09:02 AM
another update, yes it is a good idea to bet practice on the cutting on a kit and that is what this model is turning into getting used to cutting very small holes.

cjwalas
06-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Your build is going very rapidly indeed. It appears that the kit goes together well and the fit is good?
Chris

doctormax
06-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Your build is going very rapidly indeed. It appears that the kit goes together well and the fit is good?
Chris

Chris It sure is going fast, I reckon I could have it built by Thursday evening if the ink arrives on Tuesday morning. I reckon that I have at most four hours building time left of all the printed parts that i can glue and put in place for the zara.
The fit is pretty good the only problem really so far i have noticed is that them chains for the anchor don't seem to be long enough at all. a good half inch to short otherwise not bad fit wise the other slight probems the four poles for the forward keep if I can call it that seem the right lenth but they could do with another half inch in height they give the array on top as is in the kit the look of been squashed down toward the gun position and the top of the captains deck

doctormax
06-06-2011, 12:53 PM
took a bit of a break from building today only done a little bit. may get more done but waitng for the batteries to charge for the camera and want to show as many photos of the build as possible for anyone else who wants to take on building the Zara.

haa haa everyone of these win an iphone 4 in ireland ask you are you Justine biebers type of girl haa haa. Oh je I am justine biebers type of girl does he know that a 45 year old man with two bald patches bad eyesight and smokes is to a company in Ireland is his ideal girl haa haa.

doctormax
06-07-2011, 03:20 AM
ink arrived the post has come with the package been hoping for, for days. now we be sucking diesel all i got to do now is put the ink in the printer and print the six pages and then i am going to start building watch out the Zara could be finished indeed by Thursday night but don't hold me to it. i can be distracted very easy by some picnic baskets. ;)

cjwalas
06-07-2011, 05:20 AM
I think you must be setting a build record for this kit at the speed you've been going.
Chris

doctormax
06-07-2011, 07:32 AM
I think you must be setting a build record for this kit at the speed you've been going.
Chris
i don't know if it s the fastest build chris. i already have one of the main guns built and on the second now. was going for a walk and got to the end of my road and the heavens opened up, so after a few minutes of looking at the rain lash down i got building. there is something really nice about building a model when its raining outside for some reason.

doctormax
06-07-2011, 02:52 PM
not glued into place the guns but best way of been sure where they go is to have them in place so know where they go when i come to glue them in place.one more of the main guns to finish and then its onto the funnels.

doctormax
06-08-2011, 03:52 AM
so onto the funnels. starting with funnel 2 then when got that doneIT i be doing the rails MITP a and b these go near the rear main guns

doctormax
06-08-2011, 07:23 AM
update, well i have two guns glued to deck one funnel as well so right now it between doing the second funnel and waiting for parts to dry i am gluing the other two guns to the deck. a bit more awkward must say to get them to be right but going to take the time anyway.

doctormax
06-09-2011, 04:08 AM
update no real problems on the build at all. going smoothly this build. I won't have it done do tonight I can say that much right now. That was a crazy idea to have it done in less than two weeks have to admit. doing now the six guns. so another five of these to cut and assemble which is going to take a bit of time. so really i think them done today and a few other things and that be it for the day. no point it trying to do all the rest today after all. then i take a break from the build of the Zara for a day are two to do a few other things. then it be back to it most likely Sunday are monday depending on how long it takes me to do the other item

doctormax
06-09-2011, 10:46 AM
i thought take a few photos of how she looks right now in full. after about 19 A4 pages cut and glued in place. so with just about 4 A4 pages left to cut glue and assemble on the ship. For sure if the weather remains bad over next week then it will be finished sometime next week. As i say I am taking a break from it after tonight to work on something else. a break from her is in order and do have lots of time anyway

cjwalas
06-09-2011, 11:23 AM
You've squeezed a lot of work on this into a short period of time. You deserve a break from it for a bit.
Chris

doctormax
06-09-2011, 12:30 PM
You've squeezed a lot of work on this into a short period of time. You deserve a break from it for a bit.
Chris
officaly slopped on it now till Sunday for the build of the canon's big ben. have to now hook up the printer and move the ship out of the way a bit to get it printing don't want it to get damaged over something as stupid as rushing to get to the page tray and knocking it off.

doctormax
06-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Hold the press this is huge news big time after going for two years and a bit going blah blah blah waisting your time doing this card model stuff the brother in law has said. "what you do with them just build them and throw them away, I am going to take that ship and put it on display in my house them models look cool." It must look ok if that happened and I am in shock. ;)

cjwalas
06-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Looks as though you impressed him! Maybe you can even turn him into a convert one day and you'll be displaying his models!
Chris

doctormax
06-19-2011, 10:31 AM
back to the Zara, well i have to charge the camera battery anyway took an awful lot of photos the last few weeks and the batteries need to be charged. A lot if fiddly bits on the build now other than the boats which do seem to be very big scale wise but i suppose it is not for accuracy at all this ship more an artists impression of what the ship looked like.

Don Boose
06-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Glad to see you continue to make progress on this model. It's a substantial project and looks very good.

Don

doctormax
06-24-2011, 02:05 AM
The Zara continues, so many small parts now to do that are going to take time to do but will keep moving on

doctormax
06-24-2011, 04:41 PM
you would have thought hold on your building this for the compition martin are what So I let him play with the planes and the unfinished Zara. and after all he did have fun and alright I hope your not looking for more photos of the planes for the comptition because they are right now in the green bin after taking part in an effort to sink the Zara. Does this mean Martin has to start the Zara all over again. Not sure on that yet but it was so nice to see someone having fun. . I take photos of the zara after this major campaign to sink it that went on for two hours seriously the lad was gliding the planes across the bedsit toward the Zara for two hours. I take the photos in the morning when the light is better in here.

doctormax
06-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Well after been looked at the Zara seems to have survived the air attack very well a lot better than the planes I may add

doctormax
06-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Time for the zara again, well there is two parst missing now after the air attack of Friday so noted and going to do up a sheet with parts needed to be reprinted at the end. no point in printing two pages for two really small parts as it is now

cjwalas
06-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Good to see you plugging along again on this one. I'm curious about the floatplane. Is it designated as any particular plane in the instructions? I can't tell what it is in the photos. I'm assuming it's the Imam Ro 43?
Chris

doctormax
06-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Good to see you plugging along again on this one. I'm curious about the floatplane. Is it designated as any particular plane in the instructions? I can't tell what it is in the photos.
Chris
I have no idea what its supposed to be I did look at some information on the Ship and it says they had four different types of planes on them during its time. "One odd feature was the aircraft catapult on the bow, which made it impossible to prepare for launch while firing, perhaps a minor consideration. The Piaggio P.6bis originally carried was later replaced by M.41s, CANT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantiere_Navale_Triestino) 25ARs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANT_25), MF6s, and in 1938, by Ro.43s So I went and had a look and it seems to be the Ro.43s. Chris. IMAM Ro.43 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAM_Ro.43)

cjwalas
06-28-2011, 12:22 PM
The Ro 43 looks right. I may try and just to the plane, as I'm a fan of floatplanes. I wonder if anyone has ever done the Ro43 as a 1/33 kit?
Chris

doctormax
06-28-2011, 01:08 PM
The Ro 43 looks right. I may try and just to the plane, as I'm a fan of floatplanes. I wonder if anyone has ever done the Ro43 as a 1/33 kit?
Chris
it be a nice plane to see in a larger scale.

Sammuel
06-28-2011, 03:39 PM
This has been a great build log. Great Job! I just downloaded the kit and made a donation to his web page. It will be in my stash for a bit while I complete some other builds.

Look forward for more info from you.

Sam

doctormax
06-28-2011, 03:55 PM
This has been a great build log. Great Job! I just downloaded the kit and made a donation to his web page. It will be in my stash for a bit while I complete some other builds.

Look forward for more info from you.

Sam
Thanks Sam, Glad your liking the build thread. hope it helps you out when you go to build it yourself. You know you got over two months to build it for the zio contest even if you go to build it.

doctormax
06-29-2011, 04:49 AM
I know a pity I am not good at cutting out these parts for the lattice work but my experience is i make a mess of them always so i am not bothering with doing them. I am sure others who have good eyes and better patience than me can do them. I have no idea if I can have it built today as the glue is running out. I know could buy some but the hardware shop near me doesn't have the one I like using till next tuesday and the other one they have is the same price for about a tenth of the size. I wonder will the airfix glue be any good in fact. I think there is some of that around ;)

doctormax
06-29-2011, 09:59 AM
moving on so right now i got six boats to make eight guns and searchlights I beleive they are and a few other tiny bits. I think i need to print more of some of the parts for these anti aircraft guns as i seem to have lost some so that goes on to the list of what needs to be moved to a sheet to be printed again with the lost ones from the friends young lad doing air attacks on the zara.

doctormax
06-29-2011, 02:41 PM
update for today. parts done. flag poles and flags for bow and stern and what this parts are I have not got a clue.

Barry
06-29-2011, 04:51 PM
It looks like a searchlight

doctormax
06-30-2011, 03:26 AM
So first thing in the moring glue part PR1 into place. On part PR2 which is like a smaller version of part PR1. then its eight guns a few boats and some parts to finish off.

I have taken a note of little problems and this is the list. part CAT 1 and 2 are on the longer part to short to reach for the anchor. Parts 45 on page 16 are just a bit short. So far the only real problem areas I have found really on it so far and can't see to many other areas that there could be such problems as parts been to short

doctormax
06-30-2011, 07:31 AM
more of an update for today. to get all the anti aircraft guns done today is my target another two MB2 as in the kit to cut and make and six MB1's as on the kit.

doctormax
07-01-2011, 02:55 AM
update still got some guns to cut and assemble and put in place along with boats. I be happy when i get the next part put in place on the ship anyway lots of small parts to make it up

doctormax
07-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Ok there is a problem here the boom is to long to go over the boats I think when someone goes to build this it be a good idea to cut about five mm's off of PAR4 part B. I won't bother as I am a lazy bear looking for picnic baskets ;) Or is it more It was a nightmare to get it to that stage without taking it off the ship and trying to fix it along with that thread

doctormax
07-01-2011, 01:06 PM
With just four guns to assemble and glue and put in place and to glue up two replacement parts for parts that went awol. If I wanted to I probably could have it done tonight. But i think better to wait till morning to do the guns and take photos of how they go together anyway. Flash photography doesn't seem to do well with card model photos

peter taft
07-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Hey Martin - from what i can see she looks great, just one thing that lets it down... the focus on the pictures !, is this a fault on the camera, or camera shake when you take the shots ? It detracts from your build - other than that all looks good ;)

doctormax
07-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Hey Martin - from what i can see she looks great, just one thing that lets it down... the focus on the pictures !, is this a fault on the camera, or camera shake when you take the shots ? It detracts from your build - other than that all looks good ;)
It should take great pictures its got over 12 megapixels so have to put it down to the person who is not good at getting focused and has very shaky hands.

Vermin_King
07-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I usually take pics from a distance, and then crop out the edges.

At least I did before my son 'borrowed' my camera

Barry
07-01-2011, 05:55 PM
This is a cheek Doc but I just wanted to see your model without the clutter. I am no good at this but it did bring out the colours. She looks very good actually.

cjwalas
07-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks for that, Barry. It's definitely a better look at this one!
Chris

doctormax
07-02-2011, 02:02 AM
This is a cheek Doc but I just wanted to see your model without the clutter. I am no good at this but it did bring out the colours. She looks very good actually.

That really makes it look much better Barry Thanks.

doctormax
07-02-2011, 03:54 AM
OPPs I found I missed one part so right now got three guns to finish and what looks rather like one of them bouncy things that Pamela Anderson used to have swininging on a rope as she ran into the water. ;) I just became an uncle again. My brother in law that wants the Zara when its finished his wife just had a baby boy thirty minutes ago.

peter taft
07-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Congratulations Uncle Martin :) The picture Barry did without the clutter really shows a good job. If you have shaky hands {i do too} and sorry to hear that my friend. If you haven't already got one, treat yourself to a tripod, this will help you a great deal. I use one for all the shots i take. Even if the camera has the ability to stop or at least reduce camera shake, it doesn't always work and it really depends on the amount of shake when the pictures are taken All the best to you.

doctormax
07-02-2011, 04:30 AM
So half the remaining guns finished and put in place.

doctormax
07-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Waiting for the last part to dry to put in place on the ship. my first ever card model ship and I am happy with how she looks. Then it is take photos of her firnished I may do a bit of cropping do as needed and cleaning up of the background do to show her off.

doctormax
07-02-2011, 07:01 AM
in fact before we do the cropping and cleaning up a taster of the photos of the Zara completed.

doctormax
07-02-2011, 07:26 AM
a bit of cropping an getting rid of the printer underneath. Wish I had somewhere good to display this so who knows may find a place better before the end of August. most likely when the brother in law has it nicely put in the display cabinet in his house.