PDA

View Full Version : Prudenzio Contest SM 79

cjwalas
05-27-2011, 10:02 AM
After I finish up the Stuka, I'm going for the Savoia Marchetti SM 79. I like tri-motors but have yet to build one and this seems like the perfect opportunity. The kit is two pages and I suspect it's one of the largest of Zio's plane models. It looks to be about the same size as a small 1/33 fighter model.

There are no instructions and I've spotted a few parts that I have no idea what they could be or where they fit, so some investigation is in order before I get going on this one. Has anyone built this kit before?
Chris

doctormax
05-27-2011, 10:31 AM
After I finish up the Stuka, I'm going for the Savoia Marchetti SM 79. I like tri-motors but have yet to build one and this seems like the perfect opportunity. The kit is two pages and I suspect it's one of the largest of Zio's plane models. It looks to be about the same size as a small 1/33 fighter model.

There are no instructions and I've spotted a few parts that I have no idea what they could be or where they fit, so some investigation is in order before I get going on this one. Has anyone built this kit before?
Chris
I noticed that last night when thinking oh do a plane no instructions. what you need is the bear do who tends not to bother looking at the instructions then wonders why he got four parts left over. ;) trust me on that I have not finished many models that I don't end up with spare parts.

jmr248
05-27-2011, 10:44 AM
As Humphrey Bogart once said "Instructions, we don't need no stinking instructions." As long as you finish it does not matter how many parts you have remaining I wouldn't think.

cjwalas
05-27-2011, 10:57 AM
I agree that just getting the thing finished is more important than whether you used all the parts or not, but I like the challenge of trying to figure it all out. As a lot of us have discovered, this hobby is often as much puzzle-solving as it is building.
Chris

rickstef
05-27-2011, 02:33 PM
some of the parts might actually be from the Torpedo the maritime versions carried

cjwalas
05-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks Rick! Your suggestion was a double help. I downloaded one of the torpedo versions and sure enough, there was a set of instructions telling me that unknown parts on my model are torpedo hangers. Plus I notice that I was wrong, the kit DOES have a diagram sheet. It was just so small in the PDF that I didn't notice it. (Must have coffee before paper models)
Thanks again!
Chris

ju52man
05-27-2011, 03:36 PM
I have started this one...same version...but I'll bet your's will be better. One reccomendation: cut one set of tabs off, as it makes it MUCH easier.

cjwalas
05-27-2011, 04:14 PM
I have started this one...same version...but I'll bet your's will be better. One reccomendation: cut one set of tabs off, as it makes it MUCH easier.
I'm assuming you mean on the fuselage, right? I had that thought as I looked at the print out; I have never tried the double tab system he uses and it does seem that it might be easier as you suggest. I'll try it, thanks.
Chris

doctormax
05-27-2011, 04:22 PM
it may well work out better i thought it was to give strength when it has no formers. its a pity my wing now seems to be curling like the wicked witch of the wests shoes in the wizard of oz. started doing it just now in fact it is starting to be like one of them fish things got in Christmas crackers and is curling up really slowly only noticed it now and the curl is worse than it was then minutes ago and the glue has to be dry for about two hours now.

cMags
05-27-2011, 04:25 PM
The double-tab system does wonders to keep a rolled tube straight. It forms an I beam down the centerline and helps avoid twisting. Just make sure you color the tabs to match body color so you don't see the gap, and I think you'll like the results. I've used this method on long cylinders and it is very effective. I'm looking forward to trying it on multiple parts like Zio's models.

Don Boose
05-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Looks like a challenge, but the SM79 is one of my favorites and this should be a good-looking model when done.

After the museum-quality Lysander you produced for the Old Troll Mały contest, I have great faith that you will manage to do a fine job on this one, Chris.

Don

Isaac
05-28-2011, 08:19 AM
When I downloaded these kits, they were very simple, but colorful in 1/72 scale. I wanted them larger so I scaled it up to 1/48 scale. I must say, they did not scale well enough due to their simplicity and the type of design ( essentially a one piece fuselage. Anyhow, they were stil fun builds.

Here are pictures of some that I built about 10+ years ago.

Isaac

cjwalas
05-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Isaac, those look fine and your build of the SM 79 will be a great reference for me, thanks. I can see where Zio's kits wouldn't scale up very well. The same seems true of scaling them down, if my kubelwagon is any indication.
Chris

cjwalas
05-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Just to show that I have actually begun this one, here's a few shots of the fuselage and tail feathers coming together. I decided to go with separate connecting strips and I think I'm glad I did. As with a number of Zio's kits, there's some stressing of the paper to make the fit and the strips held well.
Work is busy this week, so progress will be slow.

Don Boose
05-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Nice work on that fuselage and tail assembly, Chris. Modification noted for future reference. I printed the Ba.65 on bond paper during the weekend and it appears to be close to 1/72 when shrunk to letter size. Once the Carden Loyd is complete, I will give the Breda a go and may try one of the SM.79s eventually. I will be particularly interested in seeing how you construct the undercarriage.

Don

ju52man
05-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Great, clean build so far. Just one thing to let you know is that the stabilizer wings are on backwards. Still an amazing build

cjwalas
05-31-2011, 01:20 PM
:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::roll eyes::rolleyes:
I have to stop building these things when I'm watching TV. I just assumed the folded at the leading edge like every other plane I've built. I think Zio designed them this way just to confuse me. I'm afraid it's all too obvious that I'm not very familiar with this plane! Thanks for pointing that out, I will fix.
Chris

gomidefilho
06-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Very nice SM-79, watching with interest...

cjwalas
06-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Well, I should have taken the hint after I put the tail wings on backward. The main wings have gone slightly worse. After managing to fix the tail, I ran into a plethora of minor misfits and assembling on the main wings. I won't go into all the oddities and irregularities; all I'll say is that I don't like to not finish a model, no matter how bad. I consider them all learning experiences and it's good to see them all the way through regardless. Having said that, if it weren't for the money being donated to Zio for each completed kit of his, I'd toss this one right now.
After much test fitting, I couldn't seem to get all the angles and edges to meet up, so I decided to glue the bottom of the wings on in hopes that I would be able to line up the upper surfaces after. This proved only partially successful;

When I finished gluing the wings, I discovered that the wings torqued noticeably. Haven't done anything this bad in years. Undaunted, I assembled the engines and found there was no way I could possibly get them lined up properly on the plane.

Yes, I know I also forgot to color the inside of the fuselage engine cowl. I'll get it.
Anyway, I'm going to finish this for Zio's sake alone. Still have landing gear, props, and guns to do.

Chris

Don Boose
06-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Too bad about the misfit parts. There is certainly very little of evidence of your trials and tribulations visible in the photos (except perhaps for what looks like a little gap above the downthrust nose engine).

I still want to try to build this one, but will keep all of your lessons learned in mind.

Because this is such a popular aircraft with some of us, and because of the very beautiful Zio colors, I think it would be worth while for you to set out all the mods you found necessary to produce an acceptable finished model. Knowing all that in advance would help enormously for those of us who also try to build this Sparrowhawk.

Don

rockpaperscissor
06-02-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't know Chris, looks pretty darned good to me. If you didn't state that you were having assembly problems, I'd never have guessed it from the photos. It's a very eyecatching model, despite your problems.

Johnflys2
06-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi Chris, I thought I'd give my eyes a rest and see what you were up to. You're a brave soul to tackle a tri-motor. Curves scare me but I'm slowly getting better with them. You have covered your errors very well, not as I. Looks like a clean build so far and I am going to be sure and see how this turns out. I love the color scheme. John

yankeekilo
06-03-2011, 09:36 AM
i think your model looks terrific!!

cjwalas
06-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the positive support, guys. But I carefully chose camera angles that best hid my building errors. I'm certain there is a better way to approach the build on this kit, so I don't want to run down the mods I did on this. The only thing I can say is that the wing/fuselage alignment is both challenging and critical and that my approach was not entirely satisfactory.
At any rate, finished it up as I promised;

I'm glad I finished it, for Zio's sake if nothing else. Now it's on to more Zio challenges!
Chris

Don Boose
06-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Looks just fine, Chris.

How did you attach the landing gear?

Don

rickstef
06-03-2011, 01:27 PM
With glue Don

Don Boose
06-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Ah! All has been made clear. I will have to try that novel approach, Birthday Kid.

Texman
06-03-2011, 01:31 PM
OOoohhhh!!

cjwalas
06-03-2011, 01:43 PM
The landing gear are straightforward and fit into a slot in the engine nacelles. The only concern I had with them was that since the wings were skewed, the engines were as well, so the landing gear had to be severely tweaked to even vaguely line up. They're still off, but no more so than the rest of the build.
Chris

Wyvern
06-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Looks great to me! Wyvern

The Orange
06-07-2011, 10:18 AM
With glue Don

Now that just made my day, true knee slapper! ;)

Besides that, you've built an absolutely wonderful model Chris!