PDA

View Full Version : To build or not...

rickstef
06-30-2007, 08:12 PM
I am known as a vehicle modeler, but I have two collections, Helicopters and the F-14 Tomcat.

And I have been having fun with the two soldier builds(see my album in my sig)
I have been thinking about a Tomcat or a helo build, I am leaning toward the MM helicopters I have, the Cobra or Mi-2.

So which one?

Rick:confused:

Clashster
06-30-2007, 09:52 PM
I haven't seen the Cobra, but the Mi-2 looks very cool.... Although I have never built one, helicopters fascinate me... I would be pleased to see either!

Amazyah
06-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Build them both at the same time!:D

Just kidding. I would like to see the Mi-2 myself.

Russell

rickstef
06-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah I have been leaning towards the Mi-2 myself, small, and not complicated, and this will be a good start into my stash of polish kits

Johnny
07-01-2007, 03:25 AM
Go for the Mi-2 Rick!!

cgutzmer
07-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I agree - Mi-2 :)
Chris

rickstef
07-02-2007, 08:36 AM
I might just have to overrule myself, and popular vote.

I was going through some of the models I have in my room, at my brother's house, and came across the two Dolphin helicopters which i printed out, the HEMS and the USCG versions.

I think I will build one of those instead, leaning towards the Coastie bird myself

what does the collective think?

Rick

cjwalas
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Coast Guard works for me!
Chris

cgutzmer
07-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Coastie is my preference!
Chris

Amazyah
07-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Definitely Coast Guard version!

Russell

rickstef
07-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Ok, the next question is, should I build the helo using the thin inkjet paper I already printed it on, or should I reprint the helo on thin Epson photo paper.

I have used the paper for NASCAR builds which I have done a couple of, and I had a copy of the Aston Martin DBR9 printed on it, but i can't find the print back.

It should only take 3 sheets of the photopaper to get the body work done.

cgutzmer
07-03-2007, 03:29 PM
thin paper? ewwwwww if its not heavier than 20lb go photo paper.
Chris

dansls1
07-13-2007, 01:42 PM
The nice thing about a coast guard bird is it'll be white - and paper edges are white ;)

rickstef
07-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Actually the HH-65 Dolphin will not be white, it is orange,

the Jayhawk is white with the orange stripe

Rick

dansls1
07-13-2007, 01:55 PM
orange, eh? Well, I'd vote for the white version - but ultimately build what you want ;)

rickstef
07-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Well, I will be building Roger's(rowiac) repaint of the HEMS Dolphin helicopter

but i do have the Jayhawk from the ABC magazine also, so both will be built(someday...........)

Rick

cgutzmer
07-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Well get on it! :P
Chris

Mark_1984
07-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Photo paper ? euckkkkkk - tried that didn't like it. You gotta scrap the gloss off all the tabs. On second thoughts, a helo should be a gloss finish, so it might work well. Needs careful handling tho..... dead easy to scratch the finish.

rickstef
07-13-2007, 07:57 PM
with thick photo paper, yes I agree, but Epson has this 38lbs 141g/m2 thin photo paper, and it works great, I have been working on some car models and the paper holds great with my Aleene's tacky glue.

Rick

cgutzmer
07-14-2007, 10:05 PM
and it gets those nasty little folds when you try to roll it too tightly :(
Chris

ShaunGamer
07-15-2007, 10:18 PM
I would go photo paper.
Done properly, it totally fools the unwary!
It also increases the "I can't believe its paper" factor tenfold!!
(Plus I would also like to see what the finished model will look like in photo paper). :)

rowiac
07-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Rick,

I'm happy to hear you're planning to build the Dolphin! I used the cheap Epson glossy photo paper for mine. It was about $20 for a 100 sheet pack at Costco a few years ago. I still have a bunch of it left, so I just mic'd it out at .009" [0.23mm] thick. This thickness worked well for me. I had to scrape off the gloss of a few tabs, but that was no big deal. How thick is the 38lb [141g/m2] photo paper you have?

As I recall, for the prop blades and other parts on the sheet with the blades I used regular old 110lb cardstock.

Glad I found this site!

Roger

rickstef
07-16-2007, 06:26 PM
ya know,

this is the second time since I have printed the sheets for the helicopter, that I have mentioned that I wanted to build the model.

Builder's ADD?

Hmmmm....... will need to research it

Rick

Golden Bear
07-16-2007, 06:59 PM
OK, the Mi-2. Then the Coast Guard version.

About photo paper... there are actually now two basic sorts available. The traditional is paper with a plastic coating. When the ink hits the surface it beads up thereby allowing a lot ink to be put down precisely and giving nicer, richer colors. However, it really is not designed for shaping and the coating could possibly break. Personally, I am wary of the thought, but we never move forward without experimentation. I'm happy if you are the guinea pig!

A big problem with that older sort of photo paper is that it generally is not water proof... even less than plain paper which isn't at all - except for some versions of Epson ink. Also it takes a while to dry since the ink isn't soaking into the paper and thus cannot be handled for a while after printing. There is a move now to more immediately handlable (?) photos which is achieved with a newer "paper" that is absorbant to the ink. This photo material is actually all synthetic and is porous. The inks soak right into the paper and it is almost waterproof. The difficulty is that you need to get an ink system that works with it and there are not many around just yet. There will be several within the next twelve months however. Somebody will need to scout the workability of this stuff for our community. It feels strange to the touch and doesn't seem to want to fold easily. OK, I'll shut up about ink and paper now and wait for you to show us some goodies!

Carl

FredZ KSAC
07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
can't comment on photo paper - never tried it - but I did build the CG version using 65# stock and makes a nice model. If you like helicopters, give Fiddeler'sGreen a try. They have a nice line of early birds. Not overly detailed, but make a nice looking collection.
Later,

DrBill
07-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Try matte photo paper. The colors are intense, no problem with the finish or any of the other issues with glossy stock. It takes glue very well. I use Canon paper, but have had success with Epson and Adorama matte as well. It is about the same thickness as normal card stock, and that might be a problem with models below 1:33 scale. Thanks to Roman Detyna (Digital Navy) for the tip; it's how he does all his builds.

Bill

milenio3
08-01-2007, 01:17 PM
This is what I use: Xerox Digital Plus (http://www.defterkalem.com/urun_detay.php?uid=174&KatNo=19).
Print the model on a color laser.
Superb colors. Superb brightness.
Compare the P-51 vs Bf 109 (Xerox on laser vs normal bright paper on laser).
Disclosure: Xerox is not paying me for this recommendation (they should though :D)