PDA

View Full Version : Geli A-10

Scott K
07-20-2007, 09:47 AM
So far this is the ONLY purchased model I've ever actually cut up and built (and every time I think about that I cringe!) I actually started this one 8 years ago, and got as far as building most of the fuselage, then stopped. Started up again a couple of years later, and got as far as adding the wings, engines, and one landing gear sponson. A couple of weeks ago, I finally added the other sponson, built the wheels for wheels-up display, and added the canopy (now that I finally have some overhead transparency film.) I may remove the wheels and finish the landing gear someday when patience will allow. Meanwhile I still want to add some ordnance to the model. The coloring is a bit odd on the supplied parts, so I scaled up Kancho's Mavericks and will add them sometime soon. I'm still trying to decide on the exact load I want on the model.
Don't look too close, she's suffered a few bumps and bangs over the years.:rolleyes: That thin metallic paper GELI use is a bit sensitive. Sure wish I'd had my scanner before I cut this one up!

Scott K.

Clashster
07-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Wow! That build speed is on par with me! Looks great! the paper gives it a look you couldn't get on a scan copy!

member_3
07-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Wow! I had forgotten it started out as a Fairchild design. The photos indicate it was worth the wait! Thanks for posting.

cjwalas
07-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Those Geli models certainly have their own look. The jets seem to be of a better quality than many of the others. Your build looks great! Any shots at other angles?
The fact that you kept the partially built model that long is a credit to your sticktoitiveness!
Chris

Gharbad
07-20-2007, 07:14 PM
I've always wanted an A-10.
I missed two Maly kits... both by just a few weeks.

rickstef
07-20-2007, 08:45 PM
That MM A-10 does pop up on ebay from time to time

also might want to check out www.papermodelstore.com (http://www.papermodelstore.com) or ask Jason to see if he can get a copy

Rick

Gharbad
07-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the tip Rick.
Unfortunately it comes a bit late, as I just ordered a bunch of stuff and don't want to spend more for a while :D

Alcides
07-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Very interesting and nice build. I like the metallic look.

This is the first time I see models for the A-10.

John Bowden
07-27-2007, 09:33 PM
OK........ wasn't there a free A-10 around at one time...................anybody else remember it?

john

rickstef
07-27-2007, 09:48 PM
yes Eastern's Toybox at http://www.saturn.dti.ne.jp/~eastern/

Has a nice 1:72 scale A-10

Gharbad
07-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Oooo, thanks Rick!

rickstef
07-27-2007, 10:02 PM
As for A-10s, i know of the following, Pmodel, MM, and Fly Model, and the aforemention Eastern version and Geli.

By no means complete, those who know better please chime in and correct me

Rick

milenio3
07-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Scott, that plane does not show time passing by it!! It is a really beautiful design and paper.

I hope you can finish it by this year, since it already jump the century lap... 10 years in the making!

John Bowden
07-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks Rick!

Boy I need to get better organized............... no wait................ that's what you guys are for!:D

john

Scott K
07-28-2007, 10:18 PM
I didn't have a scanner yet when I started the A-10, but I had made a couple of B&W photocopies before I started cutting (aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!) up the original. I bought all of the Geli models a local hobby shop had over time, and copied them all. As "test" builds, I built 2 of them with the parts sheets reduced to US letter size, using manilla folders for the structural parts, and regular copy paper for the skins. I had planned on painting them eventually, but never did (never finished the HE-111, either.) Here's a few pix I snapped earlier of them. There's a 3rd B&W, the T-6, that I copied onto cardstock for a stronger build. That one I actually did start painting, but wasn't quite satisfied with it.

Anyway, that's why I actually buit the original A-10, I wanted color, and the original size.

Scott K.

abutt2
07-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Picked up two Geli kits on Ebay. They have their problems. presently building their JU52. Nice, large scale, but some of the engineering I would have done differently. Good printing, but ho-hum directions. Right on the money in some cases then, all of sudden they screw up numbers and get vague. But I'll plug along and finish it. Am a returning paper modeler and there seem to be alot of new publishers on the market. Some of the illustrated directions from Halincki I've seen on this forum are very impressive. Any comments as far as rating publishers would be very helpful to me.
Allan

Sakrison
07-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Geli Kits seem to range from the very cartoonish (mainly due to some really weird color schemes) to the very realistic. Their Martinair DC-3 and Austrian DC-9 are both very nice--and BIG. The DC-9 is about 3 feet long, but the only hard part is cutting out all those *&^%$#@! windows! The metallic inks in the kits really makes these two into impressive models that stand up well next to GPM and Halinski models.
--David

Sakrison
07-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Picked up two Geli kits on Ebay. They have their problems. presently building their JU52. Nice, large scale, but some of the engineering I would have done differently. Allan
I added balsa longerons and other internal bracing to the fuselage of the Ju-52, and beefed up the wing spars with balsa. That seemed to help.

You also asked for some general comments on other publishers' kits. Here goes:
GPM has long set the quality standard for mid-range, mid-difficulty kits. Maly Modelarz has been catching up fast in the past few years with number of excellent offerings. MM's Nakajima Kate is one of the nicest kits I've ever done in fit and finish. The best Maly kits are from about 1998 and newer.

Fly Model kits are close to or equal to GPM in quality, especially the newer Fly Model/Gomix kits. (FM is redrawing a some of their older kits and really improving the quality.)

Halinski seems to be the gold standard for beautifully drawn, highly-detailed kits. Not for the beginner but not as intimidating as they look at first glance.

That said, there are some new publishers coming into the market through US importers (Paper Model Store, PMI, and the like) that look to be the equal of GPM, Fly Model, and Halinski. And downloadable kits from Gremir, Digital Navy, Skyline, Dewayne, and others are also excellent. The fact is, this is a great time to get into the hobby because there is so much available.

If you're wondering about a particular kit or kits, ask here. You'll probably find someone who has built it or at least bought it.

That's my two cents worth. What do the rest of you think?

No worries,
--David

dennis
07-30-2007, 12:50 PM
OK........ wasn't there a free A-10 around at one time...................anybody else remember it?

john

Yes there was and is still around. I've forgotten the web site but do have a digital copy. I'll check my files for info.

Scissors rocks paper
Dennis

gypsy
10-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Geli models produce aircraft with an exceptional look! The metal coated paper is difficult to work with but the results are rewarding. My AT6 Texan did not turn out too bad.