PDA

View Full Version : production question

rvisani
06-14-2011, 03:56 AM
Hi,
I have a life size model of a human figure constructed in cardboard that I have designed using Pepakura. I am in the process of converting it into a kit and have been discussing its production with packaging manufacturers and laser cutters. I was recently asked by a packaging manufacturer if I could convert the file to ArtoisCAD format because that is the software they use for cutting their packaging designs. I can convert Pepakura files to DXF, BMP, EPS, but have no experience with Artois. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be open to them. This is new for me so I am trying to weigh all my options at this point. I plan on producing an addition of 100 kits once I work out the specifics.
thanks!

goodduck
06-14-2011, 08:25 AM
I wish I can help you, but. Sorry.

But about the Artoiscad. I just watched the Artioscad videos. OMG! Folding the model in selected paper thickness to check fitting in 3d before printing it out! Are you kidding me! That just open a whole new dimension of paper model design for me and maybe as well for every designers too. I'm going to download the free trial and play with it. The layout looks like Rhino, hope it is user friendly. I sure hope the price is not up there like Auto Cad.

doctormax
06-14-2011, 08:34 AM
please tell me the lifesize is Beyonce make my year. ;) sorry don't know of that software. I wonder if you wrote to the guys in modelik are the new memberr from shipyard who joined the site a few weeks ago about it would they know of that software http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/kit-announcements/14929-news-shipyard-www-model-shipyard-com.html and what you need since they print kits. I think that be a good way to find out.

looker
06-14-2011, 10:51 AM
From an ArtiosCad brochure - quote -
"Users can import a wide variety of industry standard 3D formats, including
Collada, IGES, STEP, SolidWorks, CATIA, Pro Engineer, Inventor, SAT and
VRML. "
Can you produce any of those formats (and there may be others, check with the packaging manufacturer). I wonder if the program knows about curves?

Zathros
06-14-2011, 12:03 PM
I wish I can help you, but. Sorry.

But about the Artoiscad. I just watched the Artioscad videos. OMG! Folding the model in selected paper thickness to check fitting in 3d before printing it out! Are you kidding me! That just open a whole new dimension of paper model design for me and maybe as well for every designers too. I'm going to download the free trial and play with it. The layout looks like Rhino, hope it is user friendly. I sure hope the price is not up there like Auto Cad.

Allen, this is easily done in Rhino. I just make the part profile ( as in a Bulkhead former), and add the thickness of the paper to it. This can be done by putting the staring point away from the profile, or enlarging it using "3d Scaling", and that will give you the same enlargement on all axis. When I "Run 2 Rails", it gives me the part at with the thickness already compensated for. This program is for boxes. Some really nice boxes, but from what i have researched on it, it seems like it doesn't offer anything that Rhino doesn't already do. I always have a model with the original formers and then copy and enlarge the copied formers to compensate for paper. Spending 5 minutes learing how to do this will save you a lot of time

goodduck
06-14-2011, 12:21 PM
I know, but when I expose parts for whatever reason, which I do a lot. I have to go back and pick all the other layers that sitting around it to hide them, delete them or lock them, then rejoin the exposed parts again. And in Rhino, you can't just click on the fold lines and watch it fold. I like Rhino, but I always open for better programs that could do thing faster/easier. Artioscad looks like worth looking into.

codex34
06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
You forgot to include the 2D imports from that ArtiosCad brochure, which are, CFF2, DDES, DDES3, DXF, HPGL, EPS, Elcede
From reading the 3D formats, it looks like a solid modeling program, so it poses a question about whether you will be able to convert a textured 3D model.
The 2D format isn't a problem, but I don't think the pepakura versions of dxf and eps contain any texture information, think your best bet is to ask them if the software can take a 2D image and dxf cutting/folding file(s) (using alignment marks) to produce what you want, which if I remember correctly, is exactly what you need for laser and vinyl cutters anyway. Someone tell me i'm wrong.

John Wagenseil
06-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Send an email to ArtoisCAD, directed at a sales rep. Tell them you are interested in purchasing the program, if it meets your requirements. Ask them about its file format conversion abilities. Ask them if they have a demo version you could try out. They might be able to answer your question or connect you to a product engineer who can help you.

Good luck with your project.