PDA

View Full Version : Prudenzio Contest Graf Spree

doctormax
07-03-2011, 03:35 AM
i figured do another ship this one says 1.400 scale and i do recall years ago when i started out on card modeling trying this and it was a total and complete disaster. So maybe now after building for years I will manage to finish it. 6 pages and no instructions so I think be a good idea to do lots and lots of photos. just printing now

Darwin
07-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Doctormax, looking forward to this build. I'm toying with doing a build of the Scharnhorst, since you have the Graf Spee on the ways.

doctormax
07-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Doctormax, looking forward to this build. I'm toying with doing a build of the Scharnhorst, since you have the Graf Spee on the ways. I done my choice of which one to build by a race if i could do such and such steps on the step meter in a minute it was the Graf Spree and seems I am fitter than I thought ;)

doctormax
07-04-2011, 01:19 PM
update now there is some parts that are easy to spot where they go as the method seems to be to have them on the same sheet seems aslo so far to be in order of sheets to print as build order

doctormax
07-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Hull finished now. these kits do have very good texture and colour i find. I think the decking colour looks better on this than on the Zara in fact. kind of darker brown than on it than the Zara

doctormax
07-05-2011, 04:02 AM
this art and craft white glue i bought in a art shop is rubbish really no good for this. thank goodness the hardware shop has my Durabond glue in stock now so back the usual one I like. Fun PVA glue. more like no fun pva glue it seems to just give a layer rather than stick more like one of them glue sticks than pva glue really

cjwalas
07-05-2011, 07:47 AM
This one seems to be coming along even better than the Zara. And your speed is something to behold!
Chris

doctormax
07-05-2011, 10:29 AM
This one seems to be coming along even better than the Zara. And your speed is something to behold!
Chris

thanks chris, I did love building the Zara a lot this do smaller is turning out fairly well and the no instructions is the pain really trying to figure out what parts are and where they go is the hard part. it seems to have a lot of small parts to go on the deck and i am guessing that the placing near where they are on the paper shows where they go on the kit. Well I am hoping thats what it means.

I just noticed I got it named wrong don't I it should be Graf Spee. ;)

doctormax
07-05-2011, 03:43 PM
not been one to complain out loud well I tell a lie I am a right moan, there is an error i show it here with a circle and a mark the problem is there should be a slit there for putting in place on the deck. not a huge problem but thought i let you all know of this in case anyone is thinking of building the kit

doctormax
07-05-2011, 03:49 PM
alas i figure do an update now then to show whats been done so far. the error mentioned has not slowed me down a bit in fact as was about to stop for the night when i noticed it anyway. As good a time as any to come across an error really to know how to solve the problem is good.

Is it me are have i put an R in the name where there should not be one ;) Can we get the name of the thread changed to keep the bear from looking more silly than he already is ;)

doctormax
07-06-2011, 04:51 AM
update, its going fairly well despite the lack of instructions i am using the photos from the site to get an idea where some parts go sadly one of it finished is not up there to just some most of the parts in place and thats the major problem really if there was a few photos of it finished then it be a bit easier to figure out.

doctormax
07-06-2011, 01:12 PM
going a bit slower now trying to figure what parts are what where they go and so on without having a clue of what it looks like when finished. so far it seems to be right

doctormax
07-07-2011, 08:21 AM
hi for todays update i have done what i figure is the airplane launcher most of the plane and a few other parts. I have no idea how the floats connect to the plane and got the problem of no good photo of what this section looks like in fact so its going to be a case of think then do and hope as with most of this. ;)

Uyraell
07-07-2011, 12:40 PM
hi for todays update i have done what i figure is the airplane launcher most of the plane and a few other parts. I have no idea how the floats connect to the plane and got the problem of no good photo of what this section looks like in fact so its going to be a case of think then do and hope as with most of this. ;)

I like your build.
Here are the images I found for the Arado Ar.196 floatplane the Graf Spee carried. The struts for the floats are reasonably clear to see in each image.
I think of the 5, the picture on the catapault and the 3-view are the most useful.
I hope the pictures help.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.

doctormax
07-07-2011, 01:59 PM
I like your build.
Here are the images I found for the Arado Ar.196 floatplane the Graf Spee carried. The struts for the floats are reasonably clear to see in each image.
I think of the 5, the picture on the catapault and the 3-view are the most useful.
I hope the pictures help.

thanks I think they will help. its not a bad looking kit really. no idea of there is any other kits of the Graf Spee for sale are what quality to compare it with. What i do like about card model kits do much more parts than on a plastic kit i had of this a long long time ago that took about half an hour to put together.

Uyraell
07-07-2011, 03:29 PM
There were some many years ago, purporting to be Graf Spee, Bismrack, etc.
Some were in 1:400, some in 1:600, and I think either Bandai or IMAI went completely insane and produced some in 1:800 and 1:2000.
In each case though, the hulls associated with each vessel name were suspiciously alike.
So much so that I concluded the hull to be a "generic" to which alternative decking and details were added. Hence, I never purchased such a kit.

I wish you very success with your build Doctormax. :)
I'm glad the pictures are of use to you.

doctormax
07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
There were some many years ago, purporting to be Graf Spee, Bismrack, etc.
Some were in 1:400, some in 1:600, and I think either Bandai or IMAI went completely insane and produced some in 1:800 and 1:2000.
In each case though, the hulls associated with each vessel name were suspiciously alike.
So much so that I concluded the hull to be a "generic" to which alternative decking and details were added. Hence, I never purchased such a kit.

I wish you very success with your build Doctormax. :)
I'm glad the pictures are of use to you.

I know that Jsc do one I spotted a build of it on here earlier. That looked really good. A 1.2000 card model that would be tiny. I was thinking i may get this finished tommorow but maybe not. its finding where parts go that is taking so long to figure out more than anything really. if there was instructions and numbers i probably be finished tonight http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ships-watercraft/4784-jsc-nr-35-almiral-graf-spee-af-85-scrach.html

doctormax
07-08-2011, 02:58 AM
today is going to be the big day on this up early and working on the model. I hope to have it nearly done today. I would think i got it about 58% completed at this stage the plane is done not put in place yet as there is a two guns i think to go almost under it and the array on a part nearby so i am aiming to do them guns today far easier i would think to put them in place if i do it in that order. I will continue to take photos and show where they go are I think they go mores to the point.

jagolden01
07-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Coming along quite nicely, doctormax! Don't rush it.

doctormax
07-08-2011, 07:12 AM
not rushing just got no job to worry about but i may just have heard something super and have to check it out right now and if its true i have to get saving big time

doctormax
07-08-2011, 02:23 PM
So a little bit done but these small parts take longer to sort out and i hope i got the idea how these guns go together. the stern has what i think is a torpedo tubes which i also assembled today

Uyraell
07-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Your build is coming along nicely, Doctormax.
I saw the Ar196 pic, neatly done.
Your overhead shot of the upper deck and fittings is a very useful one, showing as it does the details of parts placement.
You have done a very neat job of the bevelled curves of the torpedo tube housings, they have turned out well.

doctormax
07-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Your build is coming along nicely, Doctormax.
I saw the Ar196 pic, neatly done.
Your overhead shot of the upper deck and fittings is a very useful one, showing as it does the details of parts placement.
You have done a very neat job of the bevelled curves of the torpedo tube housings, they have turned out well.

thanks, i think the overhead photos is the best way to show where parts go i take more photos like that for more parts when putting in place so people that are looking to build it see where i put them

doctormax
07-08-2011, 05:01 PM
There be no update tommorow going away for the day in the morning so be back to it on Sunday most likely sometime.

doctormax
07-11-2011, 09:37 AM
ok back to the Graf Spee. and i think i found the solution to the shaky martin hands put the camera to sport notice any difference in the last few pictures its not someone else taking the pictures just shaky hand martin has gone for the sport setting on the camera. ;)

doctormax
07-11-2011, 01:04 PM
another bit of an update. its working out fairly nicely must say

doctormax
07-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Even at the slow rate of build of the last few days for reasons that some will know I am sure to get it finished before the end of the week really there are eight of these small one barrel gun mounts that go on the main deck three finished and in place have to put a few parts on to the main deck as well as i go along. working my way up the ship for building and trying to figure it out but it does look good.

cfuruti
07-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Some hints:

put some distance between camera and subject. It looks like several of your pictures are blurry not due to shaking, but because the lens is too close to focus properly. Did you activate macro mode?
never use zoom, either optical or digital. Zoom greatly amplifies shaking effects. Instead, use an image editor and crop unwanted areas. Zoom can also negate macro mode
minimize shaking effects by using higher shutter speeds, at least 1/125 - this requires lots of lighting (so-called "sports" mode does just that, it automatically prioritizes speed, but does not activate if there's not enough light)
as mentioned previously, you could also try a tripod; in-camera image stabilization can't perform miracles

Uyraell
07-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Your build is coming along nicely Doctormax my friend.
I am thoroughly enjoying seeing the details come together.
This is going to be a very fine build in deed.

Kind and Respectful Regards Doctormax my friend, Uyraell.

doctormax
07-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Some hints:

put some distance between camera and subject. It looks like several of your pictures are blurry not due to shaking, but because the lens is too close to focus properly. Did you activate macro mode?
never use zoom, either optical or digital. Zoom greatly amplifies shaking effects. Instead, use an image editor and crop unwanted areas. Zoom can also negate macro mode
minimize shaking effects by using higher shutter speeds, at least 1/125 - this requires lots of lighting (so-called "sports" mode does just that, it automatically prioritizes speed, but does not activate if there's not enough light)
as mentioned previously, you could also try a tripod; in-camera image stabilization can't perform miracles

ok and you got me to remember i need to print some photos of a party and now i forgot about. Thanks Uyraell I am liking this a lot I am even looking to do the Das boat boat next maybe after i do Canons St Peters are the Notre Dame

doctormax
07-14-2011, 07:15 AM
not much of an update this time more of me just showing where some parts go on the deck. before i get cutting them and gluing in place.

doctormax
07-15-2011, 05:16 AM
In a the next hour I will have everything I can figure goes on the main deck in place. I even found what i think is the fire hose that went flying on monday. Then i will start doing the main forecastle are the boats either way i won't be putting the built forecastle in place till its finished anyway so won't be a problem what ever order i do them in.

doctormax
07-15-2011, 09:08 AM
In a the next hour I will have everything I can figure goes on the main deck in place. I even found what i think is the fire hose that went flying on monday. Then i will start doing the main forecastle are the boats either way i won't be putting the built forecastle in place till its finished anyway so won't be a problem what ever order i do them in.

Didn't I forget to post the photos sorry about that was thinking of way to much really

doctormax
07-15-2011, 10:19 AM
now onto the forecastle.

doctormax
07-15-2011, 12:59 PM
most of the forecastle structure done. I have no idea how many bits there is in this kit but its got a fair amount in just the part been done now already over thirty parts cut and glued and the part I am doing now some fairly small others a bit bigger but they all fit well on the whole there is one problem easy to get around and seems more to have been a problem in the design than the build but easy to see.

doctormax
07-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I do like when I get to the stage where can say a few more build hours and a project is done. when you can see what the model will look like when finished almost with some parts not yet glued in there place even but can see how high the higest point will be and the widest and so on. one thing is for sure it be a lot easier to put the three lifeboats in place before doing this forecastle in place with the overhang for parts that go over on the stack and the forecastle seeming to look like they would make it awkward to put in place otherwise.

doctormax
07-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Forecastle assembled and the three boats. how come i think there is some parts still unknown where they go and got this feeling two of them may well be for near the boats. Just know way of knowing and it is really a Zio Graf Spee puzzle. ;)

doctormax
07-16-2011, 03:07 PM
A bit of an update, small parts and me don't like eachother ;) if I could have got away without doing them believe me i would not bother with them is there something wrong with the attachment for photos Mine won't open now was no problem with them a few hours ago

doctormax
07-16-2011, 03:10 PM
there i write something and it works now. very strange i must have caused someone to kick the server ;) So many little bits to do really to finish off but i still think can have it finished tommorow anyway now if only I could figure out where the mystery parts go on the Zio Graf Spee puzzle. ;)

doctormax
07-17-2011, 10:51 AM
the update with very little left to do make up one more set of guns and what looks like the whinches for the anchors two anchors and oh and the flag poles for the bow and stern.

doctormax
07-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Finished the Graf Spee now. I like the build really there was no real problems other than one slight size problem but that was easy to be spotted and was of no real problem on the forecastle at the top beside that the only other problem is the ack of instructions but most parts tended to be near parts they went together with. So it is possible to build. May look dauting the kit when you see no instructions but if they are all like this and the parts are near eachother to assemble then they should be buildable. A very dark day here really so much for summer I may take more in the morning it better light as well

Uyraell
07-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I think it a fine model, very well built.
Congratulations, Doctormax my friend, on a very neatly done Admiral Graf Spee.

And though the lighting could be better, the pictures show more than sufficiently well the patience and care you put into this model.

doctormax
07-18-2011, 12:55 AM
I think it a fine model, very well built.
Congratulations, Doctormax my friend, on a very neatly done Admiral Graf Spee.

And though the lighting could be better, the pictures show more than sufficiently well the patience and care you put into this model.

Thanks it is nice to have another ship under the belt. No flag in the kit so what i have here is Daves flags for Uboats I got ages ago from ecardmodels.com so I am going to put that on the stern flag pole now.

doctormax
07-18-2011, 03:35 AM
Still pretty bad light here with the rain so i leave taking the pictures till the light improves a little not sure do if using that flag has done anything really for the build or added anything at all

doctormax
07-18-2011, 01:18 PM
more photos of the finished Graf Spee.

cjwalas
07-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Sorry I wasn't able to follow this one more closely along the way. You've done a fine job on a good looking kit! Congratulations on another ship model. I think your skills are developing noticeably from one model to the next. I hope mine comes out as well when I finally get a chance to tackle this one.
Chris

doctormax
07-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Sorry I wasn't able to follow this one more closely along the way. You've done a fine job on a good looking kit! Congratulations on another ship model. I think your skills are developing noticeably from one model to the next. I hope mine comes out as well when I finally get a chance to tackle this one.
Chris
thanks chris.