PDA

View Full Version : Prudenzio Fokker DR-1

Darwin
07-26-2011, 11:31 PM
This finishes the last piece of my grandson's mobile. Although no rigging to contend with, the engine on this one made it the most challenging of the WWI airplanes I've done so far.

Uyraell
07-26-2011, 11:43 PM
I've watched these come together, and am simply amazed, Darwin my friend.
You've produced not only fine models, but each is a work of skill and art.
They are a very attractive set, and your grandson is a fortunate lad to have such a fine gift lavished upon him.
Congratulations on a series of very fine builds.

Kind and Respectful Regards Dawrin my friend, Uyraell.

Darwin
07-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Uyraell, thank you for the kind words. But what can you say when the little voice on the telephone says "my best friend has an airplane hanging in his bedroom, but mine is empty...." I think I will be taking a bit of a break in cranking out Zio models, as my daughter and my number 2 grandson are coming up to visit for a while. I suspect, though, the real reason they are coming up is to show off her vintage VW bus at the VW flash mob in Idaho Falls this weekend. I do have a feeling that I'm going to be talked into doing a V Dub model for her to have at the show. Fortunately, there are several V Dub downloads I've collected.

B-Manic
07-27-2011, 06:49 AM
He is a very lucky boy to have you as a grandfather Darwin.

gomidefilho
07-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Awesome Dr I I intent build one from Zio, I print the red and green version...

Uyraell
07-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Darwin my friend, I just had a thought.
AirDave's VW Kombi Dragster plus a standard Kombi.
In other words, see the contrast between each.
Number 2 grandson would have a big smile, I'd think.

Kind and Respectful Regards Darwin my friend, Uyraell.

(http://modelik.pl/sklep/images/Rolls-Royce%20Ark.3.jpg)

pjabraham
12-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Darwin,
Could you explain (preferably in words of one syllable!) how you made the propeller? I am stuck at this stage and would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Phil

Texman
12-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Darwin,
Could you explain (preferably in words of one syllable!) how you made the propeller? I am stuck at this stage and would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Phil

Cut, score, fold, glue ;)

OhioMike
12-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Cut, score, fold, glue ;)

Basic paper modeling 101!!!!!!!:cool:

Look for threads by Leif Ohlsson, hes the master of propellers and airplane models. Theres also one of his in downloads i think??

pjabraham
12-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Ray and OhioMike, appreciate the advice, but the propeller that comes with this particular DR1 has an odd shape when cut out and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get it into the smooth tapering shape that Darwin and Reubenandres achieve so effortlessly. I was looking for specific directions with this one model.
Phil

OhioMike
12-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Look in the downloads section, Military aviation, WWI last page, page 2 i believe. Theres 4 downloads for various props for vintage aircraft...by Leif.

Texman
12-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Well you did ask for one syllable words!

Texman
12-17-2013, 11:35 AM
I took a look at the file. The wood texture rectangle on the right is the back of the prop.
Cut out the entire area, including the prop face and the back. Score the part down the
long side of the rectangle that touches the prop hub. Fold this part over and glue it down.
I would weight it down with a book to keep it flat. Once dry, cut out the prop using the front side as a guide.

Then cut out part P2 and roll into a circle. Glue that to the back of P3, then glue P1 to P3. Finally, glue P4 to the front of that assembly.

The propeller in the photos above is actually installed backwards. The round prop hub should be attached to the engine, providing
a standoff distance from the cowl. The actual hub, part P4, would still be on the forward side.

pjabraham
12-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Ray,
That's the ticket! I looked at some of the downloads OhioMike suggested but none of them had this particular shaped propeller. I should be able to move past this step now.

Also, Reubenandres does mention in his review of this particular model that there are a couple of pieces missing on the download sheet that would have made the propeller movable.

As a newbie, I appreciate any and all help (especially monosyllabic help!)

Phil

Rubenandres77
12-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Ray,
That's the ticket! I looked at some of the downloads OhioMike suggested but none of them had this particular shaped propeller. I should be able to move past this step now.

Also, Reubenandres does mention in his review of this particular model that there are a couple of pieces missing on the download sheet that would have made the propeller movable.

As a newbie, I appreciate any and all help (especially monosyllabic help!)

Phil

Well, yes. The graphic instructions show what looked to me like an axle to make a movable propeller. Circled in red below:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=190531&d=1387315808

But those parts are not in the parts sheet.
A bit of modification and scratch would be needed. A pin would be handy if you wish to have a movable propeller.

I discarded the idea because the Dr.1 had a rotary engine. That means the entire engine (with all 9 cylinders) moved along at the same time with the propeller. And Zio's design only has parts for 3 visible cylinders. I prefered to leave it all static instead of going into the trouble of making an all movable rotary engine+propeller.

Also remember to correct the struts, as shown in the image below:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=190532&d=1387315808

Kind regards!