PDA

View Full Version : going to try designing with no experiance..Please Help

spencermitchellmusic
08-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I am going to try to design a model on my own for the first time (out of necessity. I have never had any instruction on any of this and honestly would prefer someone who knows what there doing to design the model, but maybe this will be the excuss that I need to finally learn how to do this my self and start giving back to the community that has given me so much.

I have no idea where to start with choseing a program and using that program. There are probably already many great posts on here regarding learning how to go about doing this so maybe some links to those posts would be nice. Otherwise anyone who can suggest some easy to use (preferably free) program and any advice on how to use it I would greatly appreciate it.

As some of you know, I am a member of an orginazation that flies one of only three remaining PV-2 Harpoons. We have a merchandise table that we set up everywhere we go and I would love to design a model of our plane to be able to sell to help raise money to keep it flying. There was a recent post in the "found it on the internet" forum that has drawings of just about every plane you could ever think of and there are drawings there of the Harpoon. I hope that those would be good enough to at least get me started if I can get some idea of what to do.

Thanks to everyone who would be willing to help with this and FYI... be prepared to get many, many many questions from me once I get started.

ARMORMAN
08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Many would probably recommend metasequoia as it works well with Pepakura.

I personally am trying to learn Google Sketchup to try and streamline my own design process (it is long and convoluted - not for the feint of heart; just cheap of wallet).

goodduck
08-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Google SketchUp 8 is free download. Also Pepakura :Pepakura Designer (http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/) But better to buy password for $30(?) for unlimited use, like saving your files. Always good to save your files after you built the models. :) There are more free programs I just can't recall the name. Anyway, I tried both and I like Pepakura over Goodle SketchUP. Good Luck!

doctormax
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Good luck i have no help there myself having not a clue how to get the software to do points to make them less for when unfolding and end up with something unfolded that looks impossible

goodduck
08-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Well, doc. If you use Rhino, you will get a ton of help. :)

The Orange
08-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't think Meta was too hard to "learn" (learn in the sense of getting the basics). In fact, I recommend checking out Jaybat's tutorial on designing in Meta. I found it extremely helpful and easy to process.

Otherwise, like Armorman, I'm trying to learn Sketchup as I don't think Meta is cutting it for me.

Recommending software is a good idea, but truth be told it'll come down to personal preference (like many things). Play around in the suggested software and decide what fits your cut.

Zathros
08-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Once you decided on software, stick with it. Jumping around can be very frustrating. I really like Rhino, and Photoshop. I think with those 2 programs, you could probably make anything you want. With Rhino, you could make spares for your PV-2 Harpoon. I think if you have any excellent 3 way drawings you wish to share, that would allow people to help you with their project. I have helped many on this forum and do not charge. If you would like some assistance, drop me a P.M..

If you can provide the proper documentation, i.e., if you are a student, or someone in your organization is, they can get Rhino at a Student discount price his is unbelievably inexpensive, and will be considered legal for use in any commercial venture. $200 dollars vs. $1000 dollars.

Rhinoceros - Educational Products (http://www.rhino3d.com/eduproducts.htm)

Sales – North America and Pacific (http://www.rhino3d.com/sales/?Region=NA)

cgutzmer
08-01-2011, 04:36 PM
What Zathros said... VERY important to not jump around. All software has its strengths and weakness's the trick is really understanding how it works and if you jump around you wont get to learn it in depth. And dont expect an instant turn around :)
Chris

The Orange
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Once you decided on software, stick with it. Jumping around can be very frustrating. I really like Rhino, and Photoshop. I think with those 2 programs, you could probably make anything you want. With Rhino, you could make spares for your PV-2 Harpoon. I think if you have any excellent 3 way drawings you wish to share, that would allow people to help you with their project. I have helped many on this forum and do not charge. If you would like some assistance, drop me a P.M..

If you can provide the proper documentation, i.e., if you are a student, or someone in your organization is, they can get Rhino at a Student discount price his is unbelievably inexpensive, and will be considered legal for use in any commercial venture. $200 dollars vs. $1000 dollars.

Rhinoceros - Educational Products (http://www.rhino3d.com/eduproducts.htm)

Sales – North America and Pacific (http://www.rhino3d.com/sales/?Region=NA)

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but, for the Student discount price, is that just for College students? If I'm in High school can I apply for the student discount of Rhino? I've tried the trial evaluation of Rhino and it's simply amazing.

spaceagent-9
08-01-2011, 04:40 PM
my opinion for a fresh starter is to make a construction paper model first from your own drawings or cut out the drawings of others. once you get the feel for the model, then use google sketch up and attatchments for unfolding, the tutorial section here has what you need to learn from and also asking specific one shot questions will help you here.
good luck.
jim

thorst
08-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Probably I'm a bit antiquated, but I recommend to draw at least your first models yourself instead of using an unfolding tool. You can do this with paper and pencil, or, like I do, with a 2D-CAD. This way, you will learn a lot more about designing and constructing parts than with all the 3D-unfolding tools (which can not do more than you can do from hand-with a bit of time and practice).

Best regards,
Thorsten

Zathros
08-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't want to hi-jack this thread but, for the Student discount price, is that just for College students? If I'm in High school can I apply for the student discount of Rhino? I've tried the trial evaluation of Rhino and it's simply amazing.

Especially!! They do this as you are the future, they want you to use their product. If you a minor, you may need your parents permission. I would recommend you call them, and have one of your parents there so they don't think you are kidding around. Do yourself a favor, buy the CD, not the download version. You will be very happy if yo do this (no matter what they say) as you will always have the hard copy, and it is easy enough to do the updates (S.R.=Service Release ). Also, save the Service Releases as files, then install them. This way you can set up a machine isolated from the net if you wish.

Try and wait, to get Rhino Ver. 5.0. If is out in Beta and will be out really soon, if it isn't already.

Proof of Academic Status (http://www.rhino3d.com/proof.htm)

codex34
08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Try: Simviation: Microsoft Flight Simulator Addons (http://www.simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=harpoon&categoryId=)
There are a few models of that aircraft already, so maybe one of the guys here that do aircraft can help convert it for you, might be better to start with something with the basic shape and modify it, rather than start learning how to model and texture from scratch. Better way of learning CAD in my opinion.
But it is up to you how you approach the problem, 2D or 3D, pencil or mouse.

Zathros
08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Simaviation is a great forum. If you find a model you like, there will be an e-mail address for you to contact the owner of the craft. I am sure if you explain your situation, they may be more than willing to help.

goodduck
08-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Wait, remember he want to sell the end product. Telling people ripping models off some sim is a not a good idea. That will take use to a topic we don't want to go, let not goes there. Telling him to buy model from royalty free sites is better.

codex34
08-01-2011, 10:18 PM
No, I said/meant use it as a place to start.
I seriously doubt you'd make a good paper model from a mesh out of a sim, it's going to need more than 15% change to make it buildable, it's like having a 3D plan instead of a 2D drawing, and he'll be wanting his own texture scheme for it.

He could do what Zathros said and ask, it is for a good cause, the sim modeler will be into aviation to have modeled it.

Apparently i'm the only one with a converter anyway. :)

Zathros
08-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Wait, remember he want to sell the end product. Telling people ripping models off some sim is a not a good idea. That will take use to a topic we don't want to go, let not goes there. Telling him to buy model from royalty free sites is better.

Yes, but he wants to sell it for a non-profit organization that is trying to keep the real plane flying, all proceeds would go to that organization for that purpose. This is why I told him to e-mail the designer and state his case. If I had designed a plane like that, I would make a very strict contract and as long as that was agreed to, why not? To be honest, this is the kind of person I would be compelled to help. I think these historic craft should be kept in working order. Flying them, well, maybe, but with extreme vigilant upkeep. Lots of reference drawings on this. I have some nice ones.

The bottom rear of that fuselage would be a "guess" without proper drawings.

http://www.cafutahwing.org/images/Aircraft/PV2lg.jpg

ssmeier
08-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Impressive 3-view of the Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon:
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/Lockheed-PV-2.gif

-Steve

spencermitchellmusic
08-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all of the help on this. I think I will go the route of seeing if someone on the sim sight might be willing to help as I really don't think I am going to learn how to do this on my own very quickly or with very good results. B.T.W Zathros, that picture looks a lot like the one I work on. Here are a few pics of my organizations. She is called "Hot Stuff".

spencermitchellmusic
08-04-2011, 09:21 PM
codex, how do I get an email address from the designers on the forum? Do I have to down load the zip file? I tried doing that, but my computer just sits there. I may need to go somewhere with a faster internet connection.

Zathros
08-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all of the help on this. I think I will go the route of seeing if someone on the sim sight might be willing to help as I really don't think I am going to learn how to do this on my own very quickly or with very good results. B.T.W Zathros, that picture looks a lot like the one I work on. Here are a few pics of my organizations. She is called "Hot Stuff".

She is a beauty for sure!!:)

codex34
08-05-2011, 05:08 AM
You need to download the files, they almost always have a readme.txt with contact details. The D.Roush one says "Legal: No copy write what so ever. If you like it, send me a 12pack of beer."
You could also look for some ventura models you could modify, not sure of the differences except for wings and engines.

spencermitchellmusic
08-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks codex, I will definately owe you one if this works out!