PDA

View Full Version : Free Matt board and cardboard

Zathros
07-26-2008, 03:53 PM
I took my model of Lilla Weneda to "Micheals" craft store. The manager was so impressed he gave me about 15 lbs of cardboard scrap. He said stop around every month or so and he'll give me more. I am going to build him a model plane as thanks. I thought I would toss this experience out. Apparently they throw out a lot of this stuff, can you believe that! It is the best quality paper, a lot of it is a millimeter think and is of the highest acid free quality.

Leif Ohlsson
07-27-2008, 02:00 AM
And here's another tip - at craft stores, and artists stores, they receive shipments of large-size papers. To protect those sheets from chafing, they are packed with large sheets of foamy stuff, slightly less than 2mm thick.

This is just thrown away, which I discovered when asking for "Finnpappe", or "Koelner pappe" and they couldn't come up with anything, but gave me this for free as a substitute when I explained what I wanted it for.

The stuff is absolutely fabulous for laminating formers in large scales (1/16). It takes white glue quite well. If you laminate one side with ordinary white paper, and the other side with the printed pattern for formers & ribs, cutting is as if through butter.

Whereas, if I use the very hard 2mm cardboard I've been buying for good money hitherto, many is the time I've had to resort to a powered jig-saw.

I think this is the best tip I've accidentally stumbled upon ever. Do keep an eye open for it!

Leif

stone
08-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Did you ever use the sandwich boards used by architects for making models. It consists of thin layers of Bristol with foam in between. Not very expensive and very stiff but extremely easy to cut. Or would that be cheating ?
Serge
p.s. It is also used for making passepartouts/mats backing and that is even cheaper.
S.

nebeltex
08-02-2008, 07:08 AM
it is actually against company policy to do what that manager did. i do not always agree with those policies, especially this one, but it could get someone in trouble and not all managers are willing to take this chance...

whulsey
08-03-2008, 12:23 AM
I've scored matboard, foamcore, drawing paper, all kinds of neat stuff from doing a bit of dumpster diving at the local Aaron's Frame store. World Markets and Pier One's also throw out some good (from a warped modeler's view) stuff The standalone or strip mall stores work best since they usually have a public accessible alley behind where everything is. When it comes to saving money or maintaining dignity, cheap overrides.

Leif Ohlsson
08-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Serge, the trouble with architects' sandwich board is that they are too thick. I haven't been able to find any thinner than 4-5 mm. Is there any? - L.

stone
08-04-2008, 09:25 AM
You've got me there Leif. But I vaguely remember having seen a thinner variant a couple of years ago. Will look into it.
Serge

stone
08-05-2008, 05:02 AM
Hello Leif,
The old braincells stil seem to be working. A dutch retailer at V a n D e r L i n d e (http://www.vanderlinde.com) has a 3.5 mm variant of the stuff.
Serge

Leif Ohlsson
08-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks, Serge! It's still a bit too thick for me, though. But fine for architectural models, I'm sure! - L.

murphyaa
08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I actually found a great source for a thin (about .5 mm) backing card. This stuff has no grain, and is the same stuff thay make notebook backing from, except thinner. I've laminated it to two layers on some FG Helo rotor blades, and they still aren't drooping.

What is it? I work at a fast food joint, and it's used as a protective layer between layers of condiments. We just throw it away. I usually bring 7 or 8 sheets home everyday, and only use 1 or 2 sheets a week, so I've pretty much got a lifetime supply. I used it in the build of the FG Huey gunship I posted here.

ALICIA21
01-19-2009, 10:12 PM
I took my model of Lilla Weneda to "Micheals" craft store. The manager was so impressed he gave me about 15 lbs of cardboard scrap. He said stop around every month or so and he'll give me more. I am going to build him a model plane as thanks. I thought I would toss this experience out. Apparently they throw out a lot of this stuff, can you believe that! It is the best quality paper, a lot of it is a millimeter think and is of the highest acid free quality.
I really enjoyed this. where can I find more info about this. email me..