PDA

View Full Version : Falco's Project

Falco
08-25-2011, 09:01 AM
I finally decided to try to design a model, knowing that I lack the computer skills necessary to create 3D models to work with, I decided to do it the "Old School" way by hand being that I am a pretty good with math, specially Geometry. For my first design ever, I picked the F-8A Crusader as my subject and I have posted pictures to show the current state of the project.... Enjoy!

Falco
08-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Ok... I managed to work on my Crusader design a bit more and I am posting pics of the current status of the model. First I started with a 3-Vues drawing that I found on the net. I then drew another three view with outlining the basic 3d shapes of the airplane, then I "manually unfolded" my 2d/3d drawing (a lot of trial and error!!!). I am very impressed wkth the results that I am getting...

PS. No computers were harmed in the making of this model...:) This is as real as it gets, down right "Old School"

Falco
10-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Whenever I found enough time, I worked a bit more on my crusader design... I decided to make it a flyable paper plane built out of light cardstock (IT FLIES BEAUTIFULLY!!!), and maybe even make it a paper rc.

Zathros
10-15-2011, 09:25 AM
These are GREAT!!! I love 'em!! I used to make very similar models back in the 1980's when I worked at Sikorsky and go into all kinds of trouble throwing them at people and bouncing them off their heads. The trouble I had was trying to get them back!! So many people wanted them. Just like yours. I want yours and wished one would bounce off of my head so I could keep it! :)

Falco
10-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Im still making small changes here and there, specially around the canopy area ( a want a more realistic look). As soon as I finalize the plane, I will make it avsilable to every one...

Falco
02-21-2012, 10:19 AM
During the design period of my F-8 Crusader, I got distracted by the little Mig-15 UTI and I dumped the Crusader for now and focused on the Mig... See the results for yourself! Remember that my plan is to design simple flying paper planes based on the real birds, so they are not intended to be 100% or even 50% to scale...

Zathros
02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Excellent, there are a lot of people here making flying models, you're in good company! :)

Falco
04-02-2014, 03:43 PM
I resumed work on my Flying Paper F-8 Crusader Project and here are the results... Great flying airplane (once the proper CG is obtained). Next is the A-7 Corsair II.

Vermin_King
04-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Interesting design. Did you have to play with the weight distribution much?

Falco
04-02-2014, 04:34 PM
A small paper clip in the air intake is all this particular build needed! If you build it out of lighter material (premium copy paper) then it almost a non-issue! This plane is very easy to build and fly which was my goal.

abbycat
04-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Wow, these are really good and they fly too!

Falco
04-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Yep... Will upload soon for everybody to enjoy!

Falco
05-26-2014, 09:49 PM
If anybody was looking forward to flying the Crusader I apologize but the USB drive I was using to store ny models got damaged and I lost everything... on the flip side I back at it again with the MiG-25This time. Included are few pics of the work in progress:

Falco
06-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Update on the MiG-25 flying paper airplane...