PDA

View Full Version : So, I've been playing around with Metasequoia....

TheWebdude
07-21-2007, 07:50 PM
And after about a week I'm actually pretty pleased with it. I won't be ditching my beloved Milkshape but I can certainly see advantages (and disadvantages) to using it.
What do you think?
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q174/TheWebdude/models%20and%20inprogs/china.jpg

rickstef
07-21-2007, 07:54 PM
I really like the colors

But it will be a while before I do another humanoid figure

Rick

Stev0
07-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Webdude has gone Anime on us... =X

rickstef
07-21-2007, 09:09 PM
He's always been animated.... I mean Anime

Rick

Phil
07-22-2007, 09:49 AM
I like it...certainly more shapely than my latest!

Would you care to share the advantages ( disadvantages)? I am interested in breaking into 3D design myself.

Fozzy The Bear
07-22-2007, 10:35 AM
What do you think?

Looks great! have you found any limits on the complexity of model or numbers parts that it can handle?? and how does it cope with scale?? does it output at the scale of the model or at a fixed specified scale, if for example, you were to put a model in there that was built at full size would it handle being able to scale it to 1/25??

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

TheWebdude
07-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Phil:
Most of the advantages for me are graphic oriented, primarily the ability to call up a color pallette and 'paint' the 3D model. Working in the 3D rotational view does take a bit of getting used to as opposed to the standard front/back side or top/bottom views but I'm getting the hang of it.

If you're going to get into 3D both Metasequoia and Milkshape are great programs to try. (And don't let the Rhino and 3DStudio Max crowds bully you either!! Milkshape and Metasequoia are both under $50 U.S. to register and MetasequoiaLE (what I'm using) is FREE and now is also authorized to use for commercial work!

The main thing is to pick a program and stick with it! There is no easy path to learning 3D design. Practice x3 is the key.

Julian:
I've not pushed it that hard just yet:rolleyes:. I will say when I first got my upgrade to Pepakura Designer 2 that I did test IT'S limits. I got tired after dragging a part out until I had 500 pages of pattern and it showed no signs of stopping there.

Willja67
07-27-2007, 12:17 PM
And don't let the Rhino and 3DStudio Max crowds bully you either!! .

We don't bully we're just passionate!

Stev0
07-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Yeah we love our 3Dmax but compare the costs vs use/results and you will agree that other packages are overkill.

I'm |<----->| this close to convincing one of my offices to buy Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CS3. I wish I could find a way to wrangle him into a new copy of Max but I dont think it's going to happen. When I showed him what I could do with aerial maps, pdf's and autocad he was immediately on the phone after I installed the 30day trials of both packages and began to push pixels around.

Just gotta think of a way to get him into buying Max9 ... =)

He already bought Autocad2008 and I find it to be perhaps the best cad package yet to date. Have'nt tried to do 3D with it yet since we have no time.

TheWebdude
07-27-2007, 06:24 PM
True true, you folks are passionate indeed but you will have to admit that unless you're a student that it's an extremely expensive passion!!:D:p:D

Willja67
07-27-2007, 06:37 PM
True true, you folks are passionate indeed but you will have to admit that unless you're a student that it's an extremely expensive passion!!:D:p:D

Lucky for me my brother was a student and able to order it but isn't the definition of passion that some barriers just won't stop you for very long long? But even if I'd had to get the full priced one I've made that much money almost on what I've designed that it would have paid for itself by now and I'm slow:D

Gil
07-27-2007, 08:40 PM
"We Don't Bully, We Rhino!" Nice anime. Is it available as a white test model for recoloring? Hey that's a great idea for a kids coloring book project. Color your own transformer and build it...,

-Gil

TheWebdude
07-28-2007, 05:34 AM
Working on the instructions now.....

Gearz
07-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Nice work Rick, I like him! you won't regret playing with META.. sure it has a few annoyances but there's a surprising amount of grunt under the hood. Certainly in your hands it'll sing..

:)

TheWebdude
08-09-2007, 01:09 PM
I hope to have the instructions finished in a few days and then she'll be ready to download.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q174/TheWebdude/models%20and%20inprogs/Needs-More-Cowbell.jpg