PDA

View Full Version : not my usual ironclad...

ct ertz
09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
While taking a brake from laying out the parts for the two Confederate turret ships, one from the Tifts and the other from Warren, I had an itch to scratch. So I started on an armored car from the 1930s. Here is my start, with out the turret. it has a 13.5mm gun and a smaller machine gun in the turret, and also has two drivers stations, one rear facing as well as the normal front facing seat. It had four gears forward and four gears in reverse. Any clues as to what it might be?
CT

Zathros
09-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Oh yeah!!! Some folks over at Zealot were just asking about such a vehicle, hint, hint!

APA-168
09-07-2011, 08:03 PM
What is it about people like us? I've always wanted to have a go at an armored car of some type. Just haven't got around to it yet. I have no idea what yours is, but it's looking way cool. Can't wait to see more progress.

ct ertz
09-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Having done little in wheeled vehicles before, I am finding this a bit of a challenge. Because of this, the scale will be small for a car/truck model, 1/72 scale. This way I can fudge a bit on the detailed undercarriage without detracting from the model to much.
CT

ct ertz
09-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks Avery. You should have a go at one. i was actually quite amazed at the amount of info/blueprints/3-way drawings available on armored cars, compared to, say, ACW ships!
CT

Hudsonduster
09-07-2011, 08:21 PM
No rudder? No pilothouse to shoot away? I am soooo confused.

'Duster

ct ertz
09-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Well, it will have view ports and it does have iron armor riveted or bolted in place. But no rudder, no stack.

cjwalas
09-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Hmmm. Looks Russian. Maybe a BA 10 or 20? Glad to see you trying this one!
Chris

ct ertz
09-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Well, the turret is kicking my butt. It has a bunch of odd panels.

Anyhow, it is a Laffly 80AM from 1935 and a couple were still in use in Algeria as late as 1955. Only a small number were made, and I think it was the last from Laffly. Several were captured by Germans at the start of the war.

I intend on offering plenty of "deck clutter" for this one as with my ship ironclads. These cars were often loaded up with a pick, shuvel, sand mats, ammo boxes, buckets, gas cans and all kinds of other items the crew may need. Cammo will be a simple green and a some what green and light green serpentine stripe.

Back to it.

CT

cjwalas
09-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Excellent choice! Great looking AC and of course I'll be desperate to build it! Can't wait!
Chris

rockpaperscissor
09-08-2011, 09:40 AM
The rendering looks terrific, CT. I bet if you put some paddles on the wheels and pushed into the water, it would still qualify as an ironclad :).

ct ertz
09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Got an acceptable turret do. Now for the light machine gun facing the rear...

charleswlkr54
09-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Wish there were more armored car models out there, most I've run aqcross on the Itnternet have been Russian, though E-card and Fiddlers Green have Enlish ones, and All From Paper has a 1916 U>S> Army armored car, a White if I remeber correctly.

ct ertz
09-09-2011, 12:41 PM
abit more done. the sandmatts and boxes, spare tire and other odds ad ends. I am not sure what all will be build-able at 1/72 scale.
CT

legion
09-09-2011, 12:43 PM
in 1/72, wouldn't the wheel arches be better as a single or double layer instead of the box shape you are using now? It does look good!

ct ertz
09-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes. when all is done, the wheel fenders will be a total of three layers. A top, and underside, and a overlay to make the raised design not shown in the model yet. In both pictures and on the blue print the fenders are somewhat oversized, rather thicker then I expected.
CT

murphyaa
09-09-2011, 02:20 PM
When I saw the first picture, I thought maybe Doc Brown had got ahold of it and taken it 50 years in the future already ;)

cjwalas
09-09-2011, 02:36 PM
This is looking really great. Can't wait to get my hands on one!
Chris

Vermin_King
09-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Not my typical thing, but all these old armored cars are starting to make me think about making a collection.

ct ertz
09-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I built a couple of free downloads of Russian armored cars as well as a couple from e-cards. I enjoyed them a lot and decided to give one a try on the design end. So far it has been fun. Now to unfold and detail the parts!.
CT.

cjwalas
09-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Will this one be available through ecardmodels? And is there a chance you might do a B&W version for those of us who like to play with colors?
Chris

ct ertz
09-09-2011, 05:53 PM
I can do a B&W one too. I think this one will be destined for the free upload section here. I haven't done a free model in a while, and after the awesome month I had at ecards last month it's probably time. Y'all have been pretty good to me and this last months pay from ecards came just at the right time, enabling me to take the kids out to the Freedom Fest, as part of my youngest 8th birthday! So look for this one in the free downloads...soon I hope. It's going together pretty well so far.
CT

NStarkel
09-09-2011, 06:18 PM
What a nice armored car! :)

ct ertz
09-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks, nstarkel, I only hope it looks like the picture when all is said and done! Working on the unfolding now...
CT

cjwalas
09-11-2011, 07:52 AM
I can do a B&W one too. I think this one will be destined for the free upload section here. I haven't done a free model in a while, and after the awesome month I had at ecards last month it's probably time. Y'all have been pretty good to me and this last months pay from ecards came just at the right time, enabling me to take the kids out to the Freedom Fest, as part of my youngest 8th birthday! So look for this one in the free downloads...soon I hope. It's going together pretty well so far.
CT

You are a talented and generous man. Thank you ahead of time!
Chris

ct ertz
09-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Well Chris, we in' thee yet, but gaining. I remember on one of the Russian cars I built at 1/72 scale, had the hand holds on the turret and hatches in paper too. I am adding those on mine a an option as well. Also the typical shovel and pick, and boxes. getting closer!
CT

ct ertz
09-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Alright, Back from work and I have actually gotten a lot done. I hope a simple picture diagram will work for instructions. I will soon have a basic olive drab and a B&W model in the same PDF. The scale is 1/72 and it is a one page model. Some parts are going to be small. However, many parts can be left off as they are printed on the model as well as made in separate add on pieces. If it goes well, look for this tonight in the downloads section. I look forward to seeing some one build it!

cjwalas
09-19-2011, 01:18 PM
...just sitting here counting the minutes, Cory.:cool:
Perfect timing as I'm just finishing up my PTA PzKw II's tonight!
Chris

Vermin_King
09-19-2011, 06:40 PM
That was fast. I'm still working on a stupid jet bike project started (and repeatedly shelved) back in June ...

Looking forward to this

ct ertz
09-19-2011, 06:52 PM
I have many half started projects!

Still working on the layout of the Laffly. Will be up soon.

ct ertz
09-20-2011, 09:54 AM
It's up. Enjoy! I would love to see pictures of a built one.
CT

rockpaperscissor
09-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Looks terrific, CT. I will most definitely be building it as part of my armored car collection. Thank you for spending your valuable time to make us "builders only" happy!

cjwalas
09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
It does indeed look terrific, Cory. Thank you so much for this one! I've already done a quick recolor, printed it out and hope to get a start on it tonight!
Chris

ct ertz
09-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Yippy. I think I have a winner here. Over 100 downloads in the week! I am glad it liked. I will have to do more now.
CT

cjwalas
09-23-2011, 07:51 AM
I will have to do more now.
CT
...yes, please....please....please.