PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Gas Station Diorama Contest for October 2011

airdave
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
okay, this is my Contest idea...its open for changes, so post your ideas.
lets try to keep things a simple as possible and not scare anyone away.

Mauther's (Papermau) Route 66 Abandoned Gas Station Diorama Model is my inspiration.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm374/mauther/gas/route66banner666.jpg

Its a great little model! Lots of different elements.
A Beginner could build the basics of this model in a very short time!
...and yet its got enough to keep a seasoned modeller interested!

Top marks to mauther for this FREE download!

[Model is available at Mauther's Blog site here] (http://papermau.blogspot.com/2011/08/route-66-abandoned-gas-station-by.html)

take a look at Mauther's thread here (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/found-internet/16241-route-66-abandoned-gas-station.html)

Lets have a Community Contest using this model!
Heres the rules (subject to change):
Contest starts right away...posting of entries begins October 1 and ends October 31.

We all start with the same basic kit and then its all about building the Diorama in the most interesting or unique way.
Basic rule is you must build a Diorama using Mauther's Route 66 Gas Station kit .
You must build and use the required parts (listed below), and you are free to use the "optional" components.
You can add anything else you want to the Diorama as long as its paper*
(*structural elements like wire, toothpicks, plastic acetate, etc are all allowed, just don't use diecast vehicles, vinyl figures, plastic models, etc)
You can also modify or alter the required Model parts.

heres the list of required items you must build and include in the Diorama:
1. Main House/Building
2. Two story extension / garage
3. Slant Roofed Shed
4. 4 Individual Stone Wall sections
5. Gas Pump Island - complete (Base, Pump bases, Pumps with handles, Metal Rack
6. Coca Cola Machine
7. Minimum 4 Oil Drums
8. 4 Tires and Tire rack
9. Base sheet

These items (from Papermau's kit) are optional:
1. All Signs and Billboards
2. Small Oil Cans
3. Tool Chests and Cabinets
4. Rusted out Car

Since its that time of the year I thought it might be fun to have a Scary theme but
I didn't want to make it strictly a Halloween Contest (not everyone celebrates Halloween)
so maybe we can have two categories?
A Horror/Halloween theme and an Open Theme?

You will need to photograph your finished Diorama and post up to 3 photos in the Contest Thread.
Submission end date will be Oct 31
Hopefully someone can help me out with a voting Poll at that time?
And we all vote for our favorite...a People's Choice.

That way, I can enter too!

Prizes?
I'll put up a Diorama CD (thats a disc with all my Diorama Accessories, 3 kits, over 150 models)
or a Hercules C-130 CD (4 planes) to the Peoples Choice.
http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l588/cutandfold/modelCD.jpg

Lets discuss any changes right away...or if it all sounds cool,
I will post the Contest Thread immediately!

Let the Dioramaing begin! (its a word, look it up!)

Darwin
09-14-2011, 09:42 PM
NOW you start the contest.

Vermin_King
09-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I remember similar posts from people who were building Zio models before that contest started ...

I'm just glad this is being done and AirDave is donating the prizes

airdave
09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
NOW you start the contest.

haha...why? you already build one?

if so, I see no reason why you can use what you have already built
and turn it into an acceptable entry?
as long as it fits the rules...

that is, if the rules are acceptable to everyone?

Darwin
09-14-2011, 10:31 PM
haha...why? you already build one?

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/zio-prudenzio-contest/15081-prudensio-alpha-romeo-5.html

All kidding aside....I propose a few refinements to the rules. First, allow substitution of "same function" components from the "old" Mauther service station. And, I assume the comment about being able to modify the kit parts includes rescaling?

airdave
09-15-2011, 06:14 AM
This Abandoned Gas Station kit was my inspiration
and as I said, I think the idea of keeping it as simple as possible is the best thing.
And simple is specifying one basic starting point for everyone.

The desire is to see some scratch build thinking.
I was curious to see what people would do with the same basic parts?
If we offer too many options at the start, it will remove some of the "outside the box" thinking.
I don't just want to say "heres 12 parts...everybody just mix and match them", because we just end up with a dozen versions of the exact same model.
I want to see what people do to those limited number of parts or what they add to those parts.

Thats one of the reasons I came up with "everyone MUST use the required items in their Diorama". To keep some consistency and put one restriction that everyone can deal with.

Since I already stated that you could "add" other things, then you would be free to use parts from other Mauther kits.

Its not about building Mauthers Gas Station specifically, or just building it in miniature, or how well you build it...
its about giving beginners a basic starting point
and restricting seasoned modellers
so everyone's on the same playing field with the basic model.
Does that make sense?

Can you give me a link to Mauthers Old Gas Station? I can't find it.
I'd like to take a look at the kit.
Its not an "abandoned" station...but, if others agree with you then we could introduce a second limited set of parts to choose from.

If not, we stick to the Abandoned gas Station as the basic starter.
okay?

and yes, I think rescaling is perfectly fine.

Vermin_King
09-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Papermau: Vintage Service Station - by Papermau - Posto de Gasolina Vintage (http://papermau.blogspot.com/2011/07/vintage-service-station-posto-de.html)

airdave
09-15-2011, 01:19 PM
I have downloaded the Papermau: Vintage Service Station - by Papermau - Posto de Gasolina Vintage (http://papermau.blogspot.com/2011/07/vintage-service-station-posto-de.html)
and its obvious there are similar structures and elements.
http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm374/mauther/gas/S3010020-2.jpg
Its a great kit too!
Is it the same scale as the Abandoned Gas Station kit?...I think it is.

But if we start getting into substitutions and more base elements
it gets further away from the original Contest idea...
"what can you do with this kit?"

as I said, this isn't just about who can glue the Dioramas together cleanly,
or who can do the best assembly.
Its about the unique or interesting themes and modifications that come from
one set of models...and all the variations and modifications.

Any of the components from the Vintage Gas Station kit can be used
in addition to the required Abandoned gas Station Diorama parts.

There are two more Buildings, more gas Pumps, extra Signs and small accessories.

But my original idea stands...one kit that everyone starts with.

One set of required elements (already posted).
Whatever you use beyond that is your choice.
You can modify any component in any way (as long as its still obvious that you used the required elements)

I'll agree that you can substitute the Gas Pumps from the Vintage Gas Station kit if you want.
Signs and other accessories are all optional, so you can substitute any parts from the Vintage Gas Station.
You can include any Buildings from the Vintage Gas Station kit,
but you must still use the required Structures from the Abandoned Station Kit.

Vermin_King
09-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Mauther has a lot of nice models. When you first mentioned this idea, I asked if we could use elements of other Mauther models in the build. I was thinking of this model in particular. I was also thinking of his Bedford diorama as having some elements I would want to include.

I think you have answered my questions more than adequately. Thanks

Tapcho
09-15-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm in if I'll find the time. I'm already quilty of modifying his models (with his gracious permission of course). ;-)

Tappi

airdave
09-17-2011, 07:06 AM
So, it looks like I may have jumped the gun here...
doesn't look like we have too many people interested in taking part in a Contest right now.

Either that or they just don't like me.
http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l588/cutandfold/Post%20Links/monkey-tongue-1.jpg

I have to assume from the lack of posts that other Members just aren't into
this idea as I am.

4 people don't really make for a very good Contest do they?
But...I do appreciate the feedback Darwin, Vermin King and Tapcho,
and I thank you for your interest in my idea.

I have already started building my Diorama parts...I have a display idea,
not exactly sure where it will go, but I am going to continue with it in my spare time.

So, I invite others to do the same (if you want).
If enough models appear, I will definitely consider turning it into a "contest" and awarding a winner!

sorry for the interruption, you may all return to your regularly scheduled modelling.

Jerry V
09-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Well I must say I have followed this topic, and the idea is nice, but the subject is not my kind of thing, thatīs why I didnīt join, also because I am building another model at the moment. Perhaps Iīll join in another time.

But I was looking forward to see the different models.

Jerry

Darwin
09-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Dave, just a few thoughts on using posted responses to judge relative worthiness of a contest. I've been doing a little browsing through the stats. About 21,000 members, and only about 10% of those have even bothered with making an introductory posting ("only" about 2100 threads in the introductions section of the forum.) Looking at one of my threads in the Zio contest, well over 1000 hits on the thread, but fewer than 20 postings on it by anyone other than myself....and boiling that down, a half-dozen club members evidenced enough interest to post. From the first three months plus of the Zio contest (which is probably the most successful the group has had in terms of participation, some 63 entry threads in the contest. Boiling that down, a grand total of 19 individuals have decided to participate, and 23 of the entry threads have been generated by only two of the partipants. Granted, this is a compilation of "completed" threads and does not include the threads still in progress, but at contest completion, I seriously doubt the statistic distribution will change by much. And this for a contest that is based on an extremely large number of models eligible for entry, cutting across nearly every subject of modeling interest...only sci-fi and space are not somehow included in Zio's mix. The point? Two come to mind...first, the "silent majority" of the group (or lookieloos) amounts to 90% of the membership, and of the actives, fewer than one of ten of them are interested in participating in contests of any kind. When one considers that dioramas and architectural subjects are small minority interest groups for building vs looking, it is not surprising that, so far, only four of the members have expressed an interest in the contest. That is not to say that there wouldn't be a lot of viewing interest in such a contest, but very small actual participation. It seems to me you made prize offers for people actually building and posting a diorama from your kits, without even any contest judging involved...has there been enough response to them that you distributed every freebie you offered? Please don't misinterpret that statement as a swipe against the worth of your kits...so far, I've purchased about half of them, and that only because there is only so much modelling budget in the family. Unfortunately, it is as it is. (And no cracks about it depends on what "is" is.)

airdave
09-17-2011, 04:33 PM
To be honest, thats exactly how I looked at it...its nice to know someone agrees with me.
Thanks!...I don't think I could have explained it as clearly.

Thats was my point about "jumping the gun"...
assuming that a contest might be of general interest, which was probably just unfair.

You are correct about my Airfield Diorama Challenge.
I would have to check, but I think I only rewarded one person in that case.
Agreed, it was more of a selling ploy, but my participation here at this Forum is just as important to me,
and organizing an event (like a Contest) seems like a good way to get away from bickering about Piracy and PT Boats!

It is as it is...and thats okay.

So, as I said, I leave the idea open...
I am working on a Halloween themed Diorama using Mauther's Abandoned Gas Station kit.
I will keep my build within the guidelines of the suggested Contest
and I will post it when finished.

If anyone else wants to join in and post a similar project, please do!

If it happens that we get (say) at least half a dozen (?) submissions,
I'll call it a contest and award a "prize" to the favorite.

Sound fair?

and thanks again Darwin for your wisdom.
(and thanks Jerry for your honesty too)

Darwin
09-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Sounds perfectly fair to me. I was going to hoard my build until posting the final pics on the contest thread on Oct. 31. Instead, very optimistically assuming that anyone out there gives a ****, I'll do it via a build thread in the diorama section.

clif52
09-19-2011, 08:08 PM
OK, I've got the idea. Now to find the research and the time.

Clif

airdave
09-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Darwin, I will be paying attention...build thread please!

clif52, welcome aboard.

mchale
09-19-2011, 08:44 PM
how many times can a person enter i have so many ideas for different versions of this gas station

airdave
09-19-2011, 09:43 PM
mchale...as per the earlier conversations, it isn't really a "contest" yet.

all are welcome to build and submit a Diorama,
and I have no problem with how many Dioramas you build and post!

If we have enough entries (from enough different people) to call it a "contest,
then we will judge it that way.
Just make sure your Dioramas fit the guidelines I mentioned earlier.
That will be the only restriction for any "contest judging".

Vermin_King
09-27-2011, 01:58 PM
This is a great idea. Bumping to generate interest.

airdave
09-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm working on my Diorama...when I can!

HMCS
09-27-2011, 07:19 PM
crap i just stumbled on this tonight! I think its a great idea!,... on flickr.com in the photogroup that I am in,.. they have monthly contests,.. and when people submit their entry, they simply type in #1,.. the second dude to submit his entry, types the subsequent number #2 etc etc,.. that way, when the contest ends, the judging begins for 1 weeks time, judged by thread readers and/or participants,.. in their post they pick their top three favorites from the entries part,..
an example judging post could look like this:

AIRDAVE
my top 3 picks are:
1.) #34
2.) #12
3.) #5

by the end of the week judging ends, and I suppose after a tally of the postings you can see who is clearly the peoples choice or 1st place winner,..

I think this way could generate thread traffic as well as good advertising for people such as yourself that make and sell great models!,.. thoughts?

HMCS
09-29-2011, 08:15 AM
I downloaded the model,.. keep me up dated!,.. maybe i can put a small boss 302 mustang in the layout

Vermin_King
09-29-2011, 09:53 AM
I'd like to see that

airdave
09-29-2011, 05:44 PM
crap i just stumbled on this tonight! I think its a great idea!,... on flickr.com in the photogroup that I am in,.. they have monthly contests,.. and when people submit their entry, they simply type in #1,.. the second dude to submit his entry, types the subsequent number #2 etc etc,.. that way, when the contest ends, the judging begins for 1 weeks time, judged by thread readers and/or participants,.. in their post they pick their top three favorites from the entries part,..
an example judging post could look like this:

AIRDAVE
my top 3 picks are:
1.) #34
2.) #12
3.) #5

by the end of the week judging ends, and I suppose after a tally of the postings you can see who is clearly the peoples choice or 1st place winner,..

I think this way could generate thread traffic as well as good advertising for people such as yourself that make and sell great models!,.. thoughts?

I thought I replied to this...

this sounds like a good idea.
So whenever someone posts an entry, they will be Entry No.1
And the next entry will be #2, and so on.
correct?

Ok...sounds good...works for me.

Everybody got that?

HMCS
09-29-2011, 06:24 PM
yes exactly,.. the responsibility is for the poster to make sure he posts the correct number it will make your job easier and all the voters too!