PDA

View Full Version : Week 37 2011 Peter Zorn/Ruben Andres Ford Trimotor

billy.leliveld
09-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Ok, This is my first POW, it should have been up here last week, but all good things don't come fast.
I was little reluctant to pick this for my first POW, because I was involved in this project, but my role was not as important as gentleman who made this possible;
At first we have to thank Peter A Zorn for his approval to have his design reborn, and of course Ruben Andres for his epic work of the digitalization and recoloring of this. It now in our download-section, 11 liveries, 308 pages, IMHO one of the best, and probably the biggest free-download there is.
It all started with Ron Hall, and I'm so sorry he passed away before he could see what has happened with his first move; He send a copy of the 30 year old original to me and Deckape, when he was building it it caught the attention of Peter A Zorn, Who gave permission to scan it ( which I did), then Ruben Andres chimed in, and took the task to re-draw and recolor the scans, in the end Peter A Zorn designed a new one him self; the Indiana Jones livery,
So all this would not have been possible without this forum, 30 years, 3 continents, 308 pages...
The original threads , full of trivia and information are here;
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/recolors/12647-re-colouring-ford-trimotor-peter-zorn.html
and here;
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/9391-ford-tri-motor-1-33-scale.html
The model is over here;
PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Ford Tri-motor 5-AT paper model (scale 1:33) (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=1080)

wag
09-17-2011, 02:03 PM
First of all, thank you for taking over the POTW post. You couldn't have picked a better place to start than the Tri-motor recolor project. It was great watching this project come together and an example of great things happening when great people get together with a common goal.
Wayne

thorst
09-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Wow,
you prevented me from missing the finish of this project with this POW, thanks for that!

And all involved in this model together have done a marvelous work. I just downloaded the model, and I think the introduction and the instructions alone are one of the best downloads relating paper modeling on the whole internet. A lot of designers (me included) can learn quite a lot from this example! Thank you all for making this!

Thorsten

jaffro
09-17-2011, 03:49 PM
congrats and welcome to your new position. I have to agree, you've chosen a great subject as your inaugural entry. Projects like this only outline the diversity of card modeling as a hobby and the outstanding community we have.

If I could just throw in a suggestion though... in the past, POTW winners have been posted by date, would it be too much to ask to add a name to the thread title? eg: POTW - Sept 17 - Ford Tri Motor.

I ask this because recently in a moment of boredom I was browsing the POTW forum looking for builds of a certain type and had to go through each individual thread one at a time (hope I'm making sense here).

billy.leliveld
09-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Excelent idea Jaffro, I'll do that from now on, had the same thing

gomidefilho
09-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Excellent choice Billy, is a justice for fantastic work! In the future I intent build two livery in 1/100 one in 1/33 and more one (Indiana Jones) in 1/72. Best regards!

ghshinn
09-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Glad to see Peter and Ruben honored this way. They certainly deserve it. And welcome to your new position, Billy.

Garland

peter taft
09-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Hey Billy, great too see you are up and running. Great choice for POTW, very well deserved. The idea given by jaffro is great - i thought about doing this, but i'd done soooo many in the old format that i didn't want to upset the look of the listing, even i got frustrated when searching for a particular item in there.

Rubenandres77
09-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Peter's design is great. Even though it was designed
30 years ago it still produces a very nice model.

It has been wonderful to see the reaction of the people to it.
The re-color thread is an example of how people were interested
in this model, and how the community was eager to participate
in this kind of projects.

It is also noteworthy that the kit has been downloaded more than 470
times in the first 7 days. I don't know if that's a record, but it certainly
shows how big the expectation was. Even people who don't usually
build airplanes downloaded the kit :)

The project developed in an interesting and sometimes unpredictable way.
In any case, the end result is something to be treasured. I'm glad I was
part of this project. I'll be always grateful to Peter and to all the people
who helped in making it possible.

I don't think I deserve much credit, since I was just a messenger who
dusted off the original lines and added just a little make-up. The True
beauty was already in Peter's model, just waiting to be unveiled.

This POTW award is a proper tribute to Peter's generosity
and to the timeless beauty of his design.

Rubén Andrés Martínez

birder
09-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Great project, great plane, great POTW:) So many trimotor stories out there, but a couple more, the smokejumper firefighters in the Northwest, Idaho, Montana, originally jumped from a trimotor, pre WWII with fairly rapid descending 'chutes.
Probably should also be considered the first mailplane, since the Ford co sent it's mail to various plants with this plane some years prior to official airmail in US.