PDA

View Full Version : HMS CHIDDINGFOLD by GreMir Models

jrts
07-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi all

Well my first construction report on this site, my first for a long time:(

HMS chiddingfold from www.gremirmodels.com (http://www.gremirmodels.com)

Well as you can expect its another good model, designed by Grzegorz Nowak with text by Mike Kroll and Grzegorz Nowak.
The model is in 1/200 scale and show's her as she appeared 1942.

My Info on the ship is: - As built
Hunt Class Destroyer
Group 2 Blankney Type, Engines Parsons I.R single reduction turbines.
S.H.P 19,000 R.P.M 380
Boilers
2 Admiralty 3-drum 300lb./sq.in.

Built by "Scott's" launched 10th March 1941

After her service in the Royal Navy she was transfered to India

If anyone wants more info shout, I'll add to this as the build goes on if you don't nod off:)

Firts the stand this kit will stand on, second the two pages off formers for the hull and third all the formers cut out ready to be glued together.
I have done a test fit and can't find any problems yet and all seem's to fit great.

Next will be to put this lot together and fit the decks.

More later 4.30am here :D am off to bed for a bit

Regards to all

Rob

GreMir
07-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Rob,
Thank you for offering to get this ship build for me.

Ron,
This is the missing number 024 in case you are wondering ;)

member_3
07-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Excellent! I'm ready to order when it's ready to be ordered!

wunwinglow
07-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Pennies in my pocket starting to jingle........

Tim

Fozzy The Bear
07-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Ooooooohhhh!!!! I always like the look of the Hunt Class.... Really looking forward to the rest of this thread.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Golden Bear
07-22-2007, 11:09 AM
I second that. A nice Hunt class model can make a modeler drool!

Carl

jrts
07-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi all

Well it is a nice kit to make the pennies jingle:D

Built the stand to put the kit on, photo's of this tomorrow when its dry.

Glued all the hull formers together and have the top and bottom sections together as well.
As I need to do this as quick as possible I used super glue ( CA ) to do the lot.
The glue does make it quick at this stage and gives a solid result that can be sanded if required.

On to the next part

jrts
07-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Next bit:D

fixed the decks and the bulkhead up forward, left of the hatches as I might want them open if I have time with this.

At this stage it does not look to good but it will soon come together as a ship

Next

GreMir
07-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Are you sure about those rubber bands?
They tend to deform the deck a bit.....

jrts
07-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Last for tonight

Started to skin the hull, will have this done soon and side plates on with any luck for night ( it's 1am here :) )
So far all is well with the kit, must let it all rest now for glues to dry, oh and I need to get some rest as well.

Have fun with your builds

Regards to all

Rob

jrts
07-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi Mike

No probs, on for less than 5mins.

Left them on for the photo just to show how I did it, used super glue to fit the decks.
All straight and true.
Would not have used them with a water based PVA glue, warp would have been the word there:eek:

Rob

Barry
07-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Good looking hull so far but what's suprising about that. Look forward to the rest.

Fozzy The Bear
07-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Last for tonight

Started to skin the hull, will have this done soon and side plates on with any luck for night ( it's 1am here :) )
So far all is well with the kit

NICE!!! Looks like it's all going together well, with parts all fittng properly and all present and correct. I'm sorely tempted to part with some pennies here.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

jrts
07-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Hi all

Bit late with the update, late night at work last night and tonight.

These are some of the photo's from last nights build. Will post tonights as soon as I download the photo's from the camera.

Finished skinning the hull, again no problems at all. Fitted like a glove.
I did paint the hull as I used super glue for the plates to speed it all up:)

Also finished adding the sides of the hull as well last night.

Had no problems here either, been easy to get this far as it all fits:D
Always helps

Next

jrts
07-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Forgot to say in the last post, the reason the hull has a shine to it is the paint was still wet.
It was just the first coat off three.

Made the rudder and props tonight, also started on some of the larger deck work.
Also want to spend a bit of time sortting out the metal work to go on the decks and housing's as I build her.

Total time spent on her to date is four and a half hours, but will have loads off time this weekend:D:D Also take some photo's in day light then

More as soon as I can

Regards

Rob

Clashster
07-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Nice hull, Rob! Yeah, the shiny threw me off at first!

jimkrauzlis
07-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Wotcher, Rob!

The Magic is Back!!

Excellent work on the hull, Rob, as usual. You are one of the best on making the big red bottoms look so smooth and pristine, really quite a talent.

I am convinced you do not sleep at all once you start working on a model, the construction goes so quickly and seemingly effortlessly. Your builds are always so neat and precise, a real treat to see come together.

I am looking forward to seeing more as you continue with this build, me ol' mate!

Cheers!
Jim

jrts
08-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi all

Sorry for the delay in posting up dates, got alot done over this and last weekend:)

Ill post the photo's from last weekend now and post the others later to show how far the build is now.

Fitted the prop's and rudder, also fitted the sonar and fins to the front of the hull.

Started to fit the bridge structures, also some of the deck fittings.

So far had no problems at all with this kit, wish they where all as easy to understand:D

I now have all the metal work ready to fit as the build goes on. I find it quicker to fit it all as the build goes on rather than leave it to the end.

Next

jrts
08-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Last bit of last weekends build

More later, take care all

Rob

Barry
08-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Shipshape and Bristol fashion mate as ever more pics, more pics, more p.........

bazzer

Clashster
08-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Nice hull you got there! Looks like it is going together quite well! May have to consider it! Thanks for the update!

jrts
08-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi all

Started to sort through the photo's from last week. Got a few shots of the build in day light, diving out in between rain showers:(

Will post more later

Have fun with yours, I'am

Rob

jrts
08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi all

Just a few more photo's, small deck fittings going on from bow to stern.
In these three trying to finish up to the bridge section.
Having a shot at doing the rails as well.

When I build these I tend to build lots of sections at the same time, can't stand waitting for glue to dry:mad: hate that bit of building:D
This makes it look as if the build has no direction, but dosen't half speed it up:D

Still having fun with this and best of all everything fits.

Will do somthing about the quality of the photo's soon, not very good I know

More later if you can stand it:)

Rob

Clashster
08-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Stand it we will! Nice job! How are you making the railings? and how is it going with them?

maurice
08-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Yeah we're tough, we can take it.
Glad to see you back Rob.

jrts
08-07-2007, 02:33 AM
Thanks Maurice, its good to be back I can tell you:D

Chris tried using pre made rails but found the spacings wrong for the deck so they went out the window:)
Used some old rails I made a long time ago from a single strand of wire from a telephone cable.
When I was building all the time before the mass destruction by my EX, I use to spend one or two days a month just making metal parts for the models I was building. Always had a few builds on the go at the same time :rolleyes: and will do again soon:D
I like doing that bit, making them from scratch

More photo's later, got to get some work done for a change:D

Take care all

Rob