PDA

View Full Version : Paper Model Pirates...I got one here...

airdave
09-29-2011, 09:39 PM
anyone know this guy?

PAPERSLOTCAR

Astrological Sign: Cancer

This is his Blog page:
Blogger: User Profile: PAPERSLOTCAR (http://www.blogger.com/profile/12030024034326743328)

he is a contributing member at paperslotcar.blogspot.com

I found at least one post of one of my models by this guy (http://paperslotcar.blogspot.com/2010/12/vrrrrrruuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.html#comments) .
He has removed my name, logo and all references to me from the model itself.
He does not credit me...which doesn't matter since my policy is do not post my models anywhere else.Odd thing is, he was too lazy to remove the watermark from the photos he also stole from my website!

Anyway, I have notfied Google of a copyright infringement and hopefully the model will be removed.
I wonder what other models this guy has posted at paperslotcar?I just wondered if anyone knew him or maybe he was a member here?
Now that would be fun.

I would love to see a Thread for posting full info on thieves like this.
Lets spread the word on these guys!

airdave
09-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Just a follow up to this (for those interested)...

I filed a DMCA complaint with Google, who are responsible for the paperslotcars Blogger site.
reported that my copyrighted material was on this site, and I gave them all the references to the original files and their location.

Google responded within 24 hours and looked into the matter (good to hear)
They reported that the file appears to have been removed.

After reporting it to Google yesterday, I found the guy's Blog profile page and got his email address.
Then I sent him two emails threatening further action if he did not removed the posted material.
This must have worked because the page definitely is not there anymore.

I'm not sure if the page was moved, and I don't know if this guy has any other models of mine,
but he has not responded or contacted me about the matter
so I will be searching through his site again.

Bottom line is, I have stopped the unfair reposting of one of my models
(including the removal of my name and information from the model)
so thats a good thing I think.

rbeach84
09-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Perhaps you also provided some "education" for the dude. Here's hoping it 'sticks'.

After looking at his site a bit, it is just too bad he didn't simply link to your pages - he seems to be a real auto buff, as well as looking pretty young (assuming that is him in his Profile image...) Guess he had to learn it the hard way.

airdave
09-30-2011, 11:45 AM
no, the paperslotcars blogsite is pretty cool, to be honest.
the idea of using papermodel bodies on slot cars is a great idea!

he has hundreds and hundreds of models posted that you can save.
(he converts them to medium quality images that you can click and save)

problem is, he obviously removes all the designers info from the model
and then shares it with no acknowledgment of where he got it or who it belongs to...and doesn't ask any permissions.

I had another guy who posted my models...about 12 of them.
A Thai site that shares a lot of found Automotive models.
He used pics from my site, he credited me and hid nothing about where to find the models.
My only beef was that he posted direct links to my downloads (bypassing my site)
I asked him to change all the links so that the downloader was directed to my site first.
He apologized and immediately obliged and I am satisfied.

rickstef
09-30-2011, 12:10 PM
i agree, i like the blog and the links, but if they got rid of the pirated stuff, they would be a very legit site with a diverse selection of models

Blue Angel
09-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Sad sad and sad again.
I have has the same experience in the past.
In 2006 i was bussy with a website for paper models.
On february 21 of that year sombody crack my computer and steel all my stuff. 23 models of airliners and jets where gone. Empty computer and pity me....no back-up. (i know thats my stupid fould):mad: I draw every thing in cad and other drawing programs. so i have only some paper drawings( sketch) to start again
Last year i found two of my models back on the internet and i can not proof they are my.:mad: Till today i check as much as i can every modellers website. Now i'm bussy to make a new website, better protected and a back-up on the extern HD.
I hope to come on-line before Christmas, but i don't prommis any thing.
I'm a little afraid it will happend again.
Life goes on

Zathros
09-30-2011, 02:22 PM
i agree, i like the blog and the links, but if they got rid of the pirated stuff, they would be a very legit site with a diverse selection of models

I speak a couple of languages, that site expressed in one of them,(of course, there is Google Translate), and I would be happy to help ANYONE who needed to know if their work was there. The piracy thing is killing this hobby and taking all the fun out of it.:)

Vermin_King
09-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Well, I don't want to step into the role of Paper Police, but I can be part of the Paper Posse ...

I'll be keeping my eyes open

airdave
09-30-2011, 03:37 PM
I hate to say it, or single out a specific culture, but the Spanish language sites are getting to be as bad as the Russian sites! lol

I will acknowledge that the language barrier can play a big part in misunderstanding
and the unintentional "theft" of others works.
And I don't mind giving the other guy a chance to make amends.

But the language barrier is definitely not an issue when someone downloads my model,
removes all banners, logos and references to me from the model page and then posts it as a shared model.
he knows exactly what he is doing and that kind of tool is an easy target for me.

Zathros, if you speak a second language and can help in a situation like this,
I think it would be much appreciated by any member here.
Thats one thing we could use, is language mediation for a better understanding in some discussions.

I refer to recent discussions about someone sharing the Zorn Ford Airplane model on another site without permission.
The argument from a certain member was that since the model is free here
it should free and freely available elsewhere.
I agree this member raised some serious concerns, but the language barrier
definitely played a part in getting our points across to him.

we don't need individual Paper Police.
What need to do is watch out for our fellow modellers and designers as a group.

If you see a model that you know is pirated or shared without proper permissions
then feel free to notify the designer and/or members here.

And don't be afraid to alert the site where the model is shared.
Tell them you know the designer, you know the model should not be available there.
Tell them you will be informing the original owner of the Model.

I have contacted ebay and specific sellers informing them that models are not theirs to sell.
And I had no personal or business connection to these models.

If a guy contacted me and said "hey thats mine...don't do that"
I could very easily just ignore him.
But if the people visiting and using my site, started saying "hey that belongs to my friend not you!",
I might start to get worried.

gomidefilho
09-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Good Catch Dave!!!

For me it'a shame this brazilians blogs of pirate papermodel (and other piracys material) unfortunately no is unique. For years the real brazilian papermodel comunity fight with Stampa 400 and Fonte Papercraft...

But you action is very good example. Thank my friend!

Chats
09-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Dave, I'm so sorry that I posted about this site.
I am glad you were able to reslove some of the
issues. Next time I will have someone here check
out anything I find. Chats

airdave
09-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Dave, I'm so sorry that I posted about this site.
I am glad you were able to reslove some of the
issues. Next time I will have someone here check
out anything I find. Chats

why would you be sorry about this?
I already knew about this site...it looks like a good site.
In fact, I still say its a good site.
Unless i found out everything is pirated! lol
I'm glad I was alerted to my model being there and I am glad I found it.

kudos to you and vermin king!

Vermin_King
09-30-2011, 05:44 PM
That is one 'pirate' site that I kept the link to. There is an awful lot of stuff there. I think Dave's model was about a year or two into the blog. I don't think you have to go that deep into a site to recommend others checking it out.

It's unfortunate that they swiped the van. Double unfortunate that they weren't smart enough to remove it earlier.

charleswlkr54
09-30-2011, 07:23 PM
That's why I was wondering about that conversion of a Rolls Royce Armored Car pattern 1920 to a Fordson A/C, didn't wanna be like this guy cu and Fold is talking about

Rubenandres77
10-01-2011, 08:39 AM
anyone know this guy?

I hate to say it, or single out a specific culture, but the Spanish language sites are getting to be as bad as the Russian sites! lol

Dave, they speak Portuguese in Brazil, not Spanish ;)

airdave
10-01-2011, 08:50 AM
I wasn't trying to single out a culture or language...maybe Latin American would have been a better choice of words?
My reference was to a global region rather than a country or people.

My comments had nothing to do with Spanish or Portuguese speaking peoples,
so I hope no-one took offense.

Same goes for so-called "Russian" sites
...I am generally referring to a region, not a people
and usually websites that end in .ru

My point referred to the idea of highly visible pirate sites...being mostly from certain regions.
Thats not to say these are the areas with the most pirates, I'm sure there are just as many
North American pirates, but they sure don't seem to have as many pirate websites and file sharing locations!

Rubenandres77
10-01-2011, 09:08 AM
I wasn't trying to single out a culture or language...maybe Latin American would have been a better choice of words?
My reference was to a global region rather than a country or people.

My comments had nothing to do with Spanish or Portuguese speaking peoples,
so I hope no-one took offense.

Same goes for so-called "Russian" sites
...I am generally referring to a region, not a people
and usually websites that end in .ru

My point referred to the idea of highly visible pirate sites...being mostly from certain regions.
Thats not to say these are the areas with the most pirates, I'm sure there are just as many
North American pirates, but they sure don't seem to have as many website and file sharing locations!

Dave, I understood. That's why the ";)" icon. (If I were angry at your remark I would have used the ":mad:"icon.)

We Spanish speakers from this side of the Atlantic usually don't regard Brazil as part of "Latin (Spanish-speaking) America". It is probably that difference of language (Spanish/Portuguese) which makes us feel "different" and "belonging to different cultures". Though in the real life we are very close culturally.

airdave
10-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks Ruben...I generally ignore those stupid smiley face thingys
so that wouldn't have mattered.
I already knew from your conversations that you weren't angry with me,
just correcting my mistake...no problems at this end pal!

Spanish/Portuguese/Russian...its all Greek to me anyway! lol