PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm Really Annoyed!!!!

Fozzy The Bear
07-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Ok Guys..... Here's a bit of update news for you.

I posted an introduction to my new model over on the old CardModels.net site. It included a link to my Stourbridge Lion Design thread, because I don't really have the time to update more than one design thread.

First thing that happened..... They deleted the thread!
Second thing that happend.... They didn't bother to tell me why.
Third thing that happened... I mailed Russell asking where my thread had gone and got the most unbelievably insulting responses from him and Peter.

THEN!!! As of today!!!!! IT SEEMS THEY'VE BANNED MY ACCOUNT OVER THERE!!!

All because I dared to include a link to this site. I'm really really pigged off with this nonsense. It's no wonder the former Moderators from there walked out to form this site, when they treat people like this.

Thank god Jason took the step of forming Paper Modelers, when Card Models now has a couple of lunatic Dictators in charge.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Gharbad
07-21-2007, 11:06 PM
That's pretty sad... I don't see why there'd be such a big problem over this.
But now I'm confused; are there two Jasons?

Fozzy The Bear
07-21-2007, 11:12 PM
That's pretty sad... I don't see why there'd be such a big problem over this.
But now I'm confused; are there two Jasons? Typo... Sorry... It now reads correctly as Russell.

I'm just so damned annoyed at all of this, my typing has gone to hell as well.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Stev0
07-21-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't think complaining about another forum on this one is...

1) Good for inter-community relations.
2) Looks good for either community.
3) Does anyone any good in any way.
4) Builds great animosity.

Your issue is with the other forum and I suggest you should take it up with them and leave it on their site.

Fozzy The Bear
07-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Your issue is with the other forum and I suggest you should take it up with them and leave it on their site.

You're damned right my issue is with the other forum.... But it's clearly an issue which should be of concern to this one given the cause and effect.

So guys whatever you do!! don't post anything over there that even mentions this site and certainly nothing that provides links to it, or face the same insults and banning as I have.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Stev0
07-21-2007, 11:46 PM
At this time I don't think anyone will be posting there...

*Database Error*

Gotta remember they moved in to what could be considered the apartment building of forums. This from having a whole home from which they had complete control over.

I see it like this because I have witnessed friends in bad times having to sell their big home and move into a small apartment. It's a humbling thing.

Gil
07-21-2007, 11:52 PM
All,

I will probably bring down a hail of misery about this post but I am still wondering what happened to the over $500.00 dollars that was raised for Cardmodels.net....,

I feel that Julian has a valid point and that it does need to be known to the membership as an advisement. This also might be an indicator that things are coming undone there...,

-Gil

P.S. The Cardmodels site server seems to be down:

http://www.zealot.com/image.php?type=dberror Database error The database has encountered a problem. Please try the following:
Load the page again by clicking the Refresh (http://www.zealot.com/index.php?page=cardmodels.net#) button in your web browser.
Open the www.zealot.com (http://www.zealot.com/) home page, then try to open another page.
Click the Back (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:history.back%281%29) button to try another link. The www.zealot.com (http://www.zealot.com) forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them ([email protected]) if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.

Fozzy The Bear
07-22-2007, 12:37 AM
P.S. The Cardmodels site server seems to be down:

That's probably more to do with the hardware upgrade they said they were doing, than anything else.

My main concern is really that members here needed the advisement, not to post links to this site over there. At least until things settle down and they stop being so anti.

The thing is really that although there's room for both sites in the world, Peter isn't a Model Builder and for him it's just another chunk of his internet business. At the end of the day he'll see this site as a commercial threat to him. For him it's not about community.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Ekuth
07-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Sad. Just... sad.

rlwhitt
07-22-2007, 05:07 AM
I feel your pain Julian, but frankly I don't think I'd ever cross post a link from one forum to another simply because it almosts guarantees bad feelings. I've seen it before in other "competing" forums and it always turn out bad. And we can kid ourselves and make statements to the effect that they are not competing forums, but we would be wasting our breath. At least one of the 2 is of course going to see it that way (not saying which! :) )

Just my 2/100ths
Rick

romfolmar
07-22-2007, 05:18 AM
I have a hard time believing Russell would be insulting. I have never seen that in him. He is the one that recommened this site to me, twice.

dansls1
07-22-2007, 05:28 AM
I feel your pain Julian, but frankly I don't think I'd ever cross post a link from one forum to another simply because it almosts guarantees bad feelings. I've seen it before in other "competing" forums and it always turn out bad. And we can kid ourselves and make statements to the effect that they are not competing forums, but we would be wasting our breath. At least one of the 2 is of course going to see it that way (not saying which! :) )

Just my 2/100ths
Rick

I agree - it's just not something that ever seems to go well.
On that note, I've never seen a rule not to - and there are links to various german forums on a regular basis at cm. In addition it'd at least be nice to start by sending a PM as you delete the message saying why you did it.

rickstef
07-22-2007, 06:29 AM
I tried to foster a feeling of family and community, I allowed links to other sites.

And I hope that we can do that here.

Rick

cgutzmer
07-22-2007, 06:44 AM
I cant imagine Russell being rude or mean.
Chris

Phil
07-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Russell is THE most helpful friend I had over there. I cannot imagine anything unkind from him AT ALL! Please remove him as your source of unhappiness.

Fozzy The Bear
07-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Russell is THE most helpful friend I had over there. I cannot imagine anything unkind from him AT ALL! Please remove him as your source of unhappiness.

I'd be happy to do that.... If it were possible Phil.

Out of courtesy to the senders I'm not going to publicly publish their comments, and I have to say that they seem to have been as much offended by my original posting made innocently without any intent or malice as I am by their subsequent behavior.

For that I have to apologize to them and make it very clear that it wasn't there to offend anybody, and I do that now publicly.

Now that I've calmed down a little, it'd be nice to call it water under the bridge and all of us move on. But I can't see it happening can you.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Golden Bear
07-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Please let it slide by. Looking from their side they are under a lot of pressure now. Not only do they continue to have difficulties with just basic features at their site but they have potentially lost a sizeable portion of their active audience... including probably the most veteran segment. They might be prone to making actions that they would regret in calmer moments.

We've found a nice new home and they are still stuck with all their troubles. I will definitely start participating there again when and if it begins to behave functionally like a forum again.

As an aside, somebody posted a link to my Hoche build on Kartonbau over at the old site during the period where my frustration was supreme and before I learned to tie in pictures from ImageShack. Nobody received any rebuke over that.

Let's hold nice thoughts for them.

Carl

GreMir
07-22-2007, 12:27 PM
There is abit of difference between mentioning kartonabu and papermodelers on cardmodels forum.
kartonbau is accross the ocean and visited mostly by Europeans so it not perceived as any threat. Papermodelers on the other hand is right at the front door....

I have no problem belonging and posting on both forums, after all, it's a hobby, not competition.

paulhbell
07-22-2007, 01:41 PM
I had a funny feeling that name calling of the other thread would start, sooner or later. Looks like we have a good forum in the making here, lets not start trouble for the other forum. Looks like they have enough problems with the site without members on here causing more.

But there is one thing that is in the back of my mind, and it was asked above. What happened to the money that was donated to help the other forum.

I think I have found a new home here though. Simular layout and old/new friends.

wunwinglow
07-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I must say I felt a bit of a heel switching my forum time to this place, but for me it was simply one of mounting irritation at the advertising. The transition of data from the old site was clearly going to take some time and effort, and I would hate to appear ungrateful for the effort that was clearly being made; but those blooming ads for baseball cards and bullion!! ARGH!!!!

My forum needs are VERY simple; a place to chat with a bunch of like-minded modellers and designers, admire pics of their work and maybe put up some of my own, and sometimes upload or download the occasional useful demo, tutorial or printable tool or part. That is what the old site did, and it is what this site does. No more, no less.

Which is why I am here now.

Tim

Gil
07-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Michael may have keyed into an important part of the issue that's being vetted.

Conglomeration with other hobby forums in an effort to minimize the amount of labor needed to manage them all is having a deleterious effect on Cardmodels.net (In short a sort of "Lazy Susan" style of hobby condiments isn't going over well). Losing the "keen" interest of it's constituency has to be, at the very least, a concern to the sites management but is no reason to be discourteous over. Competition is good but it doesn't work well when it spills over and spoils the fun (A good lesson for all of us). It will be interesting to see how this all sorts out....,

-Gil

Scott K
07-22-2007, 03:02 PM
All I can say is survival of the fittest. Not that I mean to denigrate the efforts being made there to address the problems. After all, use of these sites is free, and we shouldn't complain too much. That said, when a site doesn't work the way a user wants it to, they're free to move on to what they think is a better one (as is happening here). The site admins being obnoxious to members of CM who post links to this site is not going to help them over there at all. I've been just trying to wait out the problems before I became active there again. After reading this, though, I'm somewhat less inclined, but I'll reserve final judgement for later, after CM is "fixed" and accessible again.

Scott K.

cgutzmer
07-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I know russell and he would not have been obnoxious or rude. The money was given to peter and so far as I know it went towards the hardware upgrades that are taking place now. But thats his choice.

Chris

Leif Ohlsson
07-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Dear all,

Based on some experience of the European scene, all I can say on this subject is that we should try to stay clear of it as much as possible. There is nothing to spoil a casual visitors' (read: potential new member) pleasure like being subjected to internecine strife (there, I had to look that one up!).

On a much happier note, I have spent the last couple of days learning the ways and tricks of this forum, and all I can say is that I like the set-up very much - better than anything I've come across in the three or four forums I have visited on a regular basis so far (and a couple of more far less regularly).

I would say that all of us here now have everything technical served up on a platter. All that remains now is the pleasure of filling it with the best content possible, bit by bit.

I particularly like the articles section. This bodes very well for the future.

Leif

Darwin
07-22-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't think I've personally considered my joining as having switched sides....but if that is indication of what to expect on cardmodels, it could just come to be. I've personally felt more comfortable here lately than the other site. It's too bad some people look at this as competition rather than complementing each other. My own thought is that cardmodelers was victom to its own success and just got too large and cumbersome to still feel friendly....no longer had that "corner pub" feeling to it. I still visit CM (when its up, that is), but find myself lurking more than participating. Oh, well, coffee break's over....back to pounding nails.

Stev0
07-22-2007, 05:39 PM
People are going to find their own outlet, their own source of information, their own community to tie into.

Nothing lasts forever, take a look at Finalpaper. They went down like a ton of bricks and despite being back up ... I seriously doubt they will ever be the same again.

Sadly this has happened to cm.net and will happen to others ... for example Kartonmodell.org. Unless there is someone who eats, drinks, sleeps the forum and has no life outside of it. Things happen that can take out the underlying system.

Just suck it all up and move on.

rickstef
07-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Unless there is someone who eats, drinks, sleeps the forum and has no life outside of it.

Hmmm, i thought i already did that

I knew I was needing more fiber

Rick

B-Manic
07-22-2007, 06:10 PM
There is abit of difference between mentioning kartonabu and papermodelers on cardmodels forum.
kartonbau is accross the ocean and visited mostly by Europeans so it not perceived as any threat. Papermodelers on the other hand is right at the front door....

I have no problem belonging and posting on both forums, after all, it's a hobby, not competition.

I agree with you. I presently belong to four paper model forums. They are all great in thier own way and have thier own personalities and pros & cons.

I do want to give Jason a big 'BRAVO ZULU' for starting this forum up.

http://www.realairsimulations.com/images/bravo_zulu.png

Zathros
07-22-2007, 07:05 PM
I initially thought this was an invitation only forum. I believed that because it seemed that the majority of the people whose post I have read were here. I still visit Cardmodels and go back and forth regularly. I think they both serve a purpose and both, if not all card model forums have a lot to offer. I soon, realized however, that if Maurice could join then I was a shoe in!:D
I do think this forum has a great start and a great foundation.

Ekuth
07-22-2007, 08:10 PM
I knew I was needing more fiber

Rick

Just eat a few of your models... fix that problem right up! ;)

Paperbeam
07-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I say more forums the merrier (especially English language in my case)!

I will continue to read and post to both (and other good quality) paper/card model forums as long as I'm interested in this fascinating profession/hobby.:cool:

Terry

N and Z scale Old West paper models at:http://www.paperbeam.com (http://www.paperbeam.com)

rickstef
07-22-2007, 08:14 PM
i was thinking the scraps, not the actual models

Fozzy The Bear
07-23-2007, 04:46 AM
I know russell and he would not have been obnoxious or rude.

I didn't say he was obnoxious or rude... I said his and Peters responses were insulting....

Although that does depend on whether you consider insults and ranting about a whole range of people to be rude or not.

The whole point of my posting it was NOT to debate their insults but to make sure that NO other member that wants to be there, ended up being kicked out of there for innocently and simply providing a link to something over here.

As I said... The best thing is to call it water under the bridge. I have no desire to have anything to do with them.

Lets just make this forum THE forum of choice, for card and paper modelers worldwide!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Chthulhu
07-23-2007, 10:28 AM
I tried to foster a feeling of family and community, I allowed links to other sites.

And I hope that we can do that here.

Rick

In support of this, Papermodels at Google Groups encourages exchange of links between all the various legitimate groups and forums. There is no reason why these entities should not coexist peacefully.

maurice
07-23-2007, 10:52 AM
roflmao

Chthulhu
07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Okay, maybe one. Sheesh.

maurice
07-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Yep, the twin practices of blocking and banning.
Isn't this thread well titled.

maurice
07-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I have no intention of giving any explanation for it but please just follow this suggestion. It is not made without good reason.

If you used a PM to notify someone of the url of our new forum and they have not turned up here then you should now contact them again, either by a PM that does not include the url or, preferrably, by using another channel.

(It may also be that they have joined here but are not yet active, so you should ask them if they have.)

wunwinglow
07-27-2007, 02:19 AM
It is a bit close to poaching though, isn't it. I can understand why a site owner would get a bit cheesed off with old customers who had already 'defected' trying to tempt remaining forum members away to a new rival. Of course the comparison between customers and forum members doesn't stand up to close scrutiny, we are all free to go on which ever site we wish, as often as we wish etc etc (unless we are Chinese !) but I don't think I'd contact anyone through the Old forums own systems to evangelise a new, rival site. Be a bit like the Vatican placing ads in The Watchtower to drum up new trade....

Tim

Loopy
07-27-2007, 03:51 AM
Guys, what is the problem with dual or triple memberships? What happened to freedom of association and all that?

Change is inevitable, actually it is the only constant in life! For me this hobby and belonging to various forums is the need (and I really need it!!) to learn more about the art of paper/card modelling. If there is one thing I have seen in ALL the forums, is that most people are more than willing to share their time and knowledge to the betterment of this fine craft that we partake in.

Maybe I'm missing the point, or just not interested in politics, but is'nt the idea that we are in it for the fun of the hobby? People will always (hopefully) be people, with their strenghts and weaknesses, and with their off-days.

Sorry for the rambling, but I enjoy the company in ALL the forums, and would not like to lose that.

MOS95B
07-27-2007, 05:00 AM
I'm on triple membership myself. The old forum, here, and I'm and admin at Papertoys new forum...

Each one has its own "specialy" as it were....

cgutzmer
07-27-2007, 07:46 AM
I dont even want to count my forum memberships..... :) They expect me to be a little productive at work today... ;)
Chris

paulhbell
07-27-2007, 08:22 AM
I like the idea of more forums, but I like them to be seperate from other subjects. If I want to go RC I would go to a seperate RC forum.
I think certain people are annoyed to be mixed in with other subjects, without a say about it. And sorry but that does mean cardmodels.net and I am still an active member on there.

maurice
07-31-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm impressed with the results.
Thanks go to those who just quietly followed the suggestion.

Come to think of it perhaps that suggestion ought to make it as the outright winner of the second part of Jason's contest.
:)

P.S. We desperately need a : rofl : smilie.

Marc Niceyard
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
i'm very happy to find no animated smileys here. they suck.

Ashrunner
08-01-2007, 09:26 PM
I fully understand what Fozzy felt and went through when he posted at the other site which initially started this thread.

The other day, I decided I would, after watching one take-off from the local airport here, ask about the Piaggio P180 model. So starting at the other site, I attempted to find the the forum listing so I could go to the proper forum category and ask my question. However, I ran into a problem. I could not find the forum list anywhere on the portal page. I went to various pages and still couldn't find the forum list to start a new thread. I even looked on the page of a post I know was in the category I wanted to post my question in and nothing. Getting frustrated, I decided to scan through the new posts and move on to this site. But what did I see in the new posts? A bunch of posts I didn't subscribe to. Well, that pissed me off and decided I would leave CM for good.

But as went back to the portal page, I scrolled down to see why I was getting posts from other forums I didn't want and there was the forum list link, down on the portal page below the fold, so to speak. So I went to the news section, and posted a goodbye to my friends and enemies at CM. I never mentioned this site, only said I hoped to see my friends elsewhere around the papermodeling world on the net (or something like that).

Several hours later, my post was removed, along with the entire thread. If there was ever a reason I might want to go back to CM before hearing that, it all evaporated at that moment.

There was no reason for my post to be removed...but it was...and because of that, I will never visit that site again. As some people here know, I absolutely despise censorship. All it takes is once and you're history in my book.

It's a big world and so few places a cardstock model maker can go to "BS with the guys." Thanks for this place Jason and Rick.

John Bowden
08-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Dang! Wow! Rats!!! .................... I'm sorry.

Yes I am full of many different emotions.............. I quess I'm just naive but I did not know that forums were so competitive, mean spirited and paranoid.

I lucked up and found Card Models quite by accident and that was really the ONLY forum I frequented.

Now that it is not the same, and yes I know things change, it has been "different" since the last server/host change and frankly I was not going/posting to it as often as I did.

I made some really great friends on the site, (one enemy) but I missed the way it was. I did not know of this site until Rick said he was taking over as Admin and fortunately he answered my PM and I signed up very soon after.

This site has the feel of the old card models, with allot of familiar faces/handles and I too would like to thank Jason for it.

Now the meat of my thread................it will take all of us to make this site work. Please remember that when something is typed, just like spoken, it can not be taken back.............removed yes, but once read it doesn't matter.

I challenge all of you who read this post to...................

1. Contact by email, persons you would like to see here................. if they come great....... if not...........hey that's good too.

2. Do not complain too much about the past............. what is done is done. The future is all that matters.

3. Paper Modelers is about paper models............... lets start showing off some of the work going on.

4. Make suggestions.............. about what the site needs, doesn't need, whatever, but remember to not be too critical if suggestions are not taken, or if it seems to be ignored. People are busy and as we have all seen........... nothing in this world is free or guaranteed.............just be patient.

That's it.............

Hey to everybody, sorry for the past, the future sure looks promising for this site, I am very happy to have it and all the friendly faces.

SO somebody please start some airplane build threads................ I'm having withdrawls...........:)

john

Darwin
08-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Too bad that's the way they want to play. Looks like most of the core membership migrated over here, so not a great loss. Anyone know if Ted migrated over?

Clashster
08-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Nicely stated, John. But sorry, I'm an armor/ship guy. Don't see any air thingys in the near future for me (despite the many cluttering my stack), so I won't be helping with your withdrawals (cold turkey, eh?)!

Golden Bear
08-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Heh, D., Ted's a little out of the circuit right now. We'll be OK with him when he's ready.

rickstef
08-01-2007, 10:32 PM
i emailed ted, when i got a chance to, and no answer from him as of yet.

John, thank you for those words.

i could probably be the biggest voice of discontent, but I have bigger fish to fry right now.

If you know people who are paper or card modelers and you talk to them from time to time, drop a hint to them, nothing special, invite them to check out the boards, but don't go spamming around the net, that is one thing I hate to happen.

Rick

wunwinglow
08-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Hm. I don't feel anywhere as bad as I did a couple of weeks ago!! Looks like I'm here to stay....

Tim

Stev0
08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Someone posted pdf's of models on their site to sabotage downloaders. It cost me time and 2 new drives to backup my system. I'm somewhat pissed about it because I almost lost 6 years of my life in digital work. I have nothing good to say about the person who set the trap for both me and anyone who goes on their site. I was pissed and responded in an extremely restrained manner.

My posts have been censored and deleted so like they say...

"if you cant say anything nice then dont say anything at all"

Barry
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Any chance of knowing the file name to avoid please

barry

cgutzmer
08-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Yes steve, I too would like to know what files were posted and what I need to avoid. Also what did it do so I know what to be on the lookout for?
Thanks
Chris

rickstef
08-02-2007, 05:33 PM
When you are on CM, check a thread with the word Devastator in the title, it is one of the Cartoon/Anime threads

Rick

Golden Bear
08-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Hmph. No danger of that. Maybe we need to hammer out some polite "rules of engagement" that nice papermodelers can agree on. Jeez, what did I say? That is an unending thread. Still, I admire people that will poison AHs like PaperDollhouse.

BTW, Rick, can you just ban this dude out of hand if he shows up? Although maybe it is useful to see the DEVIL up close now and again.:cool:

Carl

rickstef
08-02-2007, 07:21 PM
i will keep an eye open for anyone like that

Stev0
08-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Paperdollhouse... I would put a block on the name alone. First time the name or url gets registered ... block the IP completely.

That person is a waste of 1's and 0's... perhaps we can point them to the pdf's in question and hope they are not aquainted with counter-virii measures as well as data rescue.

=\

MOS95B
08-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I'e gone to the site in question. No damage done, except for the PITA of downloading an empty PDF file...

If he's no longer offering the models, he should just take them off the site rather than empty/malicious files...

Mark_1984
08-03-2007, 12:16 AM
When you are on CM, check a thread with the word Devastator in the title, it is one of the Cartoon/Anime threads

Rick

Here's a link to the thread in question http://forum.zealot.com/t137306/
It's actually quite a good discussion.

Here is the web site in question. http://masamune.freespaces.com/dpm.htm
The PDF files do NOT contain any models, just a moan about people sharing them illegally. Personally I agree with MOS95B's comment.

Rick, feel free to delete the links if you don't want them here. I won't take offence.

Zathros
08-03-2007, 05:57 AM
@Steve0, I can't believe the person who provided the link did not remove it. I just purchased a Seagate 500G hard drive ( it has a 5 year warranty) from www.tigerdirect.com for $119.00 that stores information vertically to archive some of my favorite stuff just in case of an attack, I think individuals can add and take a lot from a forum. I personally would never add a link until I fully have checked it out.

rickstef
08-03-2007, 06:34 AM
kvetching time is over folks,

I like a good bash as the next guy, but lets try to keep in mind what we are here for, its not to speak ill of one or another.

We have driven some traffic to Masamune's site, he might be happy about that or be pissed, who knows, but we are now all aware of what he has done, to combat piracy in his own way, and we need to respect that.

Now back to your regularly scheduled cutting mat

Rick

maurice
08-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Back nearer the original topic of this thread the following can be ignored by those who don't care where they're seen.

Be aware that if you post "there" your post will now also appear on this newly emergent aberration (which comes complete with a hyphen)
http://www.zealot.com/paper-models.php
Someone who knows nothing about "card" seems keen on lining up his beloved spy-bots to soak up "paper" as well.

This time I think I get to say the Sheesh bit.

Lex
09-01-2007, 11:52 AM
It's the first time I've came across this thread and...
First I'm really sorry about Julian and anyone else with similar experience.
Second I'm really annoyed about the link by Maurice... Zealot is really going haywire this time.

--But lastly even if I'm humiliated or banned over on CM.net I'll continue to stay there because I believe there's nothing wrong with the people in the forum, it's just a few lunatic admins who's got problems.

Cheers

Nezard

Stev0
09-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Maurice.... you have me confused. It's a URL that mirror's cardmodel.net.

Essentially another URL pointing to the same.

Whats the hub-bub about????

Zathros
09-01-2007, 07:48 PM
To be honest, I didn't get it either. I belong to many forums. I haven't detected any hostility from anyone. I think they are really trying to get their problems solved. Live and let live. I certainly didn't join this forum out of any hard feelings to Cardmodels. I just joined because of the group of people here, which is the same reason I joined and still am a member of Cardmodels. Like Rickstef said, "Kvetching time is over". I don't really know what "kvetching" means but I got the jist of it.

maurice
09-01-2007, 09:04 PM
SteveO

I feel unworthy to take any credit for your confusion. I consider that it is a higher state of being that you have achieved solely by your own efforts. :):):)
You might need to ponder for a moment on why "card" feels a need to mirror itself as "paper" and what it's motivation might be for such a masquerade bearing in mind that "paper" is a banned substance on "card".;)

Nezard

You are right, throughout history most problems for society have been caused by a few lunatics in the administration .... never more so than at the present. :D

P.S. I find it singularly alarming that the arbitrary deprivation of the right to free speech is apparently not regarded by some as being a hostile action, or did they just not notice it happening.

P.P.S. Someone needs to brush up on their Yiddish.:)

Zathros
09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
I find it alarming that you insult people then put a happy face next to it. You complain about free speech as long as no one else expresses their "free speech". Forget about yiddish, try this, stop being so "pendejoso".
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_profanity.) Not that your are, it is a mere description of your "Kvetching". Go have a croissant, they are tasty and will make you feel better.:D

rickstef
09-01-2007, 10:42 PM
come on guys.

lets stay civil.

I agree that Peter is playing some dirty pool by putting that version of paper model up as a pointer to CM.net.

maybe we need to do something similar

Rick

Stev0
09-01-2007, 10:44 PM
maurice ... your cerebral pokes at the so-called establishment are wasting our time. Either explain how this is a heinous act to have a second URL as a valid argument or ask the admin to lock this thread.

Your just being a troll and negative points without reason are like flatulence in an enclosed room. Clear the air.

As for free speech. It's a term that is used a lot online. Mostly by people who seem to just like to hear themselves talk.

maurice
09-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Hopefully Rick has now explained the point in a form that the pair of you can accept without you needing to be both humourless and rude.

dansls1
09-02-2007, 06:29 AM
All it does is prove that he is really interested in bumping his visitor count to the forum. Whether he is doing it in spite of the users or not is up to debate, hence it's 'heinous' to those who don't like what's happened at the site. The fact that it's kind of hidden, and kind of resembles this site name, are going to further that opinion to some.
Personally - live and let live. As stated somewhere else, it seems that the English-speaking world can have 2 paper / card modeling forums and both flourish and survive. There are 2 Polish ones and 3 German ones - why not 2 English? I think most people here are familiar with what's going on at zealot - so we have an educated opinion on participating or not and trying to convince us otherwise isn't necessary - and insulting people is never the way to win an argument.
Anyway - less worrying about this and more building / designing / posting pics!

Zathros
09-02-2007, 11:01 AM
"Your just being a troll and negative points without reason are like flatulence in a closed room".............Now that's cerebral (and funny too).

Stev0
09-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Well ... I think Maurice is reaching on this one. Who cares?

Paper-models vs Papermodels vs Paper Models vs.... well I can go on.

As for me being rude? I'm just handing back the attitude I am taking in. Like begets like.

Lex
09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I completely agree with Dan on this one, may I just remind that we are all here sharing the remote hobby of cardmodeling and the last thing we want to see is us fighting over each other. --We're not here to start an argument. Make models, not war.

Fozzy The Bear
09-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Guys! Please.... I want you all to chill out here. The purpose of my starting this thread was to ensure that nobody got themselves kicked out of CM for posting any links to this site. Not to see you insulting each other like this.

Please calm down and, play nice like good children.

I actually found it quite a dirty trick, for Peter to create a link like that. It's also posted as a link on the front page of CM. What we can infer from that however, is that this site has him worried... to be honest, so it should after their appauling behavior.

The fact that he's trying to confuse people with a link designed to look to the casual browser like the other site that is being talked about (this one), is not only quite pathetic, but downright mean spirited. I thought you guys might have realised that.

Rick... I really can't agree that we should do the same thing. That would just bring us down to their gutter level.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Gil
09-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Problems accessing Cardmodels.net when using Privoxy and Tor..., This software gives you anonymous access to the web and prevents all sorts of things from occurring. It also is a fair indicator of sites that are doing more than just being a hobby site. Logged on access queries are dropped to the lowest access priority making forum access difficult. I tend to embargo such sites for all the usual reasons...,

+Gil

Barry
09-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Zealot is a commercial for profit site and is making all the moves that such a site would do, Cardmodels.net is really a memory. Thanks for solving the timing problem Gil I was wondering why it did that.

I shall remember that I was glad of a forum to keep in touch with fellow modelers but I have never had the same feeling about Zealot as about the old site, but there are a lot of people there that I like keeping in touch with.

I go with Fozzy for no other reason than we don't have to fight for hits the same way (yet another assumption)

As always I would not have the money or the necessary skills to run any site.

Zathros
09-02-2007, 07:30 PM
I actually was going to go back and edit out what I said but then realized that I couldn't. Once you have posted I guess your committed. Oh well. I do like the clarity of this site but do and still have good memories of Cardmodels. As far as Cardmodels.net being a memory there is something about that statement that sadly rings true. Summer is almost over in Connecticut, it's that kind of sadness.

rickstef
09-02-2007, 07:40 PM
wierd, you are the second one who can't edit

could it be because you have the Aria skin selected?

let me know

Rick

cgutzmer
09-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Cardmodels is not a memory. Going under a new name and it doesnt look like it used to but its still there with its info (granted no gallery back yet) still helping new cardmodelers, still answering questions. Its still a good community and I like it. It just takes getting used to. I also like this community. The people are great at both places (in my opinion for what thats worth). I plan on frequenting both sites and continue to frequent the german sites (at least for the pics and whatever is in English) I dont see why its such a problem. Ya pick where you like to spend the most time but still visit elsewhere. I get my news at more than just CNN.... I think I will go work on my plane for a bit now.
Chris

dansls1
09-02-2007, 08:21 PM
wierd, you are the second one who can't edit

could it be because you have the Aria skin selected?

let me know

Rick

Actually there is a time limit on editing posts. The post that I edited this morning now does not allow me to edit it further.

rickstef
09-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Dan,

you are right, Jason just filled me in on that fact

Rick

Mark_1984
09-02-2007, 08:37 PM
I think that the number of people you see posting both here and Cardmodels.net (aka Zealot - a name that makes no sense to me ???) is a testament to what Chris has said.

Gharbad
09-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Actually there is a time limit on editing posts. The post that I edited this morning now does not allow me to edit it further.

What's the time limit?
I edited my posts at least a week after I made it, because I changed the picture URLs.
Is this a new thing?

cgutzmer
09-02-2007, 09:44 PM
I believe its 10 days. I cant say for sure though. I believe thats a built in vbulliten limit but it can be changed.
Chris

Zathros
09-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Gharbad your armored vehicle looks great!!!

I used the standard skin. I still visit Cardmodels and will participate in both till I get booted. I really like Kartonmodels but the models those people make are so incredible I find it depressing sometimes.

Gharbad
09-02-2007, 10:17 PM
10 days seems alright I suppose, but I don't know, I don't really see the reason for it. I suppose it could cause arguments if people start editing posts in a heated discussion, but this doesn't seem like a place where it happens. Even in this iffy thread we're pretty well behaved.
My problem with it is that if I were to switch photo hosts, I wouldn't be able to fix my threads. Seems like a lot of hassle with not much of a benefit.

Thanks Zathros!
And I know exactly what you mean with the depressing-ness.
I think the only reason I started here was because it felt so small and friendly. It still has that feeling somehow, despite having grown so much.

Jason
09-02-2007, 10:57 PM
10 days seems alright I suppose, but I don't know, I don't really see the reason for it. I suppose it could cause arguments if people start editing posts in a heated discussion, but this doesn't seem like a place where it happens. Even in this iffy thread we're pretty well behaved.
My problem with it is that if I were to switch photo hosts, I wouldn't be able to fix my threads. Seems like a lot of hassle with not much of a benefit.

Thanks Zathros!
And I know exactly what you mean with the depressing-ness.
I think the only reason I started here was because it felt so small and friendly. It still has that feeling somehow, despite having grown so much.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have adjusted the time limit to edit your posts. I set it to the max allowed 1440 minutes, but will be looking at maybe increasing it if I can find a way to hack the system. I decided that it would be best to set a limit since I notice that a couple posts were changed, which made the next post make no sense.

Jason

Gharbad
09-02-2007, 11:22 PM
That's true.
I guess the solution is to force people to make sense :p
It seems like a common courtesy sort of thing to me.

Frank Kelle
09-05-2007, 01:21 AM
...(aka Zealot - a name that makes no sense to me ???) ...

@Mark: For a not english-speaking person I understand the name Zealot as See a lot... Sorry, not fitting quite right here but I just saw it, as I read this thread.
Frank

Clashster
09-05-2007, 03:40 PM
zealot means fanatic... tends to have a religious conotation, but it can mean otherwise. Here is a link:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/zealot

Zathros
09-05-2007, 04:41 PM
I like see-a-lot. I sink dat ist funny und ist eine gut Wortspiel!!

Wir wisssen wann der Taifun kommt, seine nachbar bist ohne dacht! , sagt Farmer Brown.