PDA

View Full Version : Dutch windmill "De Liefde" finish

Blue Angel
10-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Hello modelfriends.
Looking between my kitcollection i found this Dutch windmill an decide to build it.
I'm sorry, i don't have a build report but here are the photo's of the finished model.(use cardboard 160 gr/cm2)
Also i can not find back the link for download.

Maltedfalcon
10-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Love it!
The technology that is showcased in old windmills is amazing. for instance
this one has the large wheel on the back for manual steering.
others have automatic windage. The amount of force sails that large could deliver is amazing and they did it with wooden shafts and gears...
your model is gorgeous, how tall does it stand?

Matt Sparks

rickstef
10-08-2011, 12:54 PM
The windmill De Liefde can be downloaded here ページタイトル (http://www.city.sakura.lg.jp/web_furoku/web_furoku.htm)

Rick

legion
10-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Meh, I wouldn't want to build one (yours does look great though!) as I get to see the real ones just about daily... I live across the river from Kinderdijk, where there are a lot of them, some in working condition!

But there are apperently 2(!) windmills called 'De Liefde) in Holland, according to wikipedia. One near Kinderdijk and one in the north and they both look different from the one you built!

Blue Angel
10-08-2011, 06:47 PM
But there are apperently 2(!) windmills called 'De Liefde) in Holland, according to wikipedia. One near Kinderdijk and one in the north and they both look different from the one you built!
Maybe there are 3 of them...this one don't stay on kinderdijk or in the north of the country.
Here is a photo of the real one
This is the mill wich the designer use for this kit as example.

AlanG
10-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Meh, I wouldn't want to build one (yours does look great though!) as I get to see the real ones just about daily... I live across the river from Kinderdijk, where there are a lot of them, some in working condition!

Not in fact very surprising, as this "De Liefde" is not in Holland at all, but in a Dutch theme park in Japan!

By the way, Blue Angel, a very nice model.

Alan

Blue Angel
10-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Thats what i mean Alan
Thank you.

papertrekker
10-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Very nicely done. I lived in the Netherlands for four years and traveled the Kinderdijk many times, usually by bike. You definitely worked my memory trying to place that windmill. ;)

Jerry V
10-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Being a miller I have to say you did a nice job on building the model!

But I always wonder why designers most of the time design models of windmills with sails at the back of the wings..

Jerry

Blue Angel
10-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Being a miller I have to say you did a nice job on building the model!

But I always wonder why designers most of the time design models of windmills with sails at the back of the wings..

Jerry
I think this is for give the construction more stiffness, But i agree that open wings looks more beautifull.;)

RickTNRebel
10-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Very pretty build. Windmills, watermills and lighthouses are some of my favorite subjects.

calinous
10-10-2011, 07:15 AM
The amount of force sails that large could deliver is amazing

Matt Sparks

Just for your information, I visited a museum windmill in Netherlands, and the windmill there was replaced by a "factory" mill. That factory mill had (I think) about 10,000 times the capacity of a windmill.

If you're comparing the windmill with human power, the windmill is a huge progress - but not compared to modern technology

Maltedfalcon
10-10-2011, 08:04 AM
yes technically I would have been comparing to a mortar and pestle.
not a current industrialized plant.

Jerry V
10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
But you have to see mills in their own concept of time. The first windmills in the Netherlands were build around 1200 A.D. the oldest still working windmill is from around 1600. The rise of the windmills was about 1850. By that time they were modern technology, they were build to replace work formerly done by hand. Most of the wood for the VOC (the East Indian Company) was hand cut, but the invention of the saw mill made building ships etc going a lot faster. But then came the invention of steam powered engines...

legion
10-10-2011, 01:56 PM
But you have to see mills in their own concept of time. The first windmills in the Netherlands were build around 1200 A.D. the oldest still working windmill is from around 1600. The rise of the windmills was about 1850. By that time they were modern technology, they were build to replace work formerly done by hand. Most of the wood for the VOC (the East Indian Company) was hand cut, but the invention of the saw mill made building ships etc going a lot faster. But then came the invention of steam powered engines...

If you can imagine, in the VOC period (not a long period, mind this), they build around 5000(!) big ships. Chris Barry (of Red Dwarf) had a special about it a few years ago where he visits a working saw windmill. But there are a lot different jobs to the designs of windmills. A lot were just mills for various foods, like mustard, hop, grain. And then there were the water raising mills used for creating the land we live on. Iirc, there is a printed windmill kit out there, if not multiple. Diederick has it on his site, if I am correct. Seen it a few times in the modelstore(s) in Rotterdam too.

Jerry V
10-10-2011, 02:29 PM
If you can imagine, in the VOC period (not a long period, mind this), they build around 5000(!) big ships.

I know there were mills for several jobs, once there were about 10.000 mills in the Netherlands, there are only about 1200 of them left.

"My" mill is one of them, which still grinds grain on a professional basis.
But next to being a miller on a windmill I am taking part of a living history group which studies the 17th century. You mentioned the VOC period not being a long period, but I think that is incorrect.

The VOC was founded in 1602 and went bankrubt after a period of almost 200 years, in or around 1796.
The last offices of the VOC were closed in 1803

In total they build 1772 ships of which 629 were lost.

RickTNRebel
10-10-2011, 02:42 PM
I love reading about these from all of you...especially Jerry V who works in a real windmill! So, since ye all know so much about windmills, where are the best paper model sites that have fairly accurate models?

legion
10-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Most accurate one would be the one I described earlier, I guess. Canon has one. Others are either simple or lost.

Jerry V
10-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Here's the canon windmill model which is a fairly simple model as well.
Windmill, Holland - Europe - Architecture - Paper CraftCanon CREATIVE PARK (http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/3154/03361/index.html)

Ofcourse there are better windmill paper models but they are not for free, at least, I do not know of them.

Jerry