PDA

View Full Version : Paper Modelers Convention was GREAT!

Tomdaviesclay
10-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I just returned from attending my first International Paper Modelers Convention held this week-end in Sterling, Virginia. I must confess that I had never heard of this event until I was asked in July to make a presentation on my travels to visit cathedrals and the models that I have made of these churches. This was done with a power point presentation showing slides with the real church on the left side of the slide and the model or a photo of the model kit yet to make on the right side. I brought models which represented 9 different countries produced by 10 different publishers.

This was the 14 annual International Paper Modelers Convention. It was an outstanding meeting of paper modelers from all over the country. The exhibitors had paper models of every size and shape of planes, ships, tanks, trains, cars, animals, and architectural models. I had never met anyone who made paper models before this weekend. None of my friends are into modeling of any sort. They all think that I am strange!! It was a very congenial group of men and women who enthusiastically shared a common love. It was interesting to listen to the airplane modelers in particular, who sort of have a language of their own. The Annual Banquet led last night was great fun with many award given out. Also enjoyable was an auction of kits that members had donated. Paper modelers are often willing to sell their shirts for just the right model!

The arrangements at the Hampton Inn were excellent as was the food and accomodations. I can't wait to go back to the next year's convention. The date has already been set for the same week-end in October at the same location. I highly recomment that all of those who love paper modeling put this on your calendar as a "papermodeling must".

goodduck
10-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Sound Great, wish I have vacation to go. You got pictures?

Don Boose
10-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Pictures posted here, Allen: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/museums-air-shows-events-get-togethers/15904-2011-ipmc-5.html

Don

goodduck
10-23-2011, 11:32 PM
WOW! Thanks!