PDA

View Full Version : Converting a PDO file (Pepakura) to PDF Document

airdave
11-09-2011, 03:44 PM
since I am interested in creating some web tutorial videos, this was a good practice start for me
...and so I have created a short tutorial video.
Its not the best quality (I'm learning), but hopefully it will help.

Recently a request was posted for an explanation on how to convert a PDO file
to a PDF Document for the purposes of printing.

I'm pretty new to Pepakura myself, but it seems pretty straightforward.

Why would you want to do this?

Well if you are like me, you do not like Pepakura.
Obviously if I took the time to learn how to use the program properly
I might have a different attitude.
But I've tried to use it in the past and I really don't like it
and I am just not interested in spending the time to learn the program.

Another reason to convert the file to PDF is for Apple users.
I am under the impression that Pepakura is not available in a MAC version?
So, if you can get access to a PC with Pepakura installed, you can create a PDF file which will work in your MAC.

Please...do NOT create PDF files for the purpose of redistribution.

This is intended as a one time personal use option for owners of legitimately acquired PDO files.

ppt0BQw5xxE

cMags
11-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Nicely done Dave. Also a note for others, you don't need to purchase Adobe Acrobat for this - you can use a number of free PDF printers, one of my favorites being CutePDF. Once installed, it acts as a printer which you can choose as the output for *any* program that can print, and you'll end up with a PDF file.

richkat
11-09-2011, 06:30 PM
VERRRRY nice Dave thank you!!...Rich

THE DC
11-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks!

I have figured out how to make a jpg. but not a PDF until your tutorial.

Moat appreciated,

The DC

IndiQa
11-07-2012, 04:45 PM
PDFForge
PDFCreator are a couple more. Free and available on souceforge.

opalmox
11-08-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm not able to see the video on my computer. One of my problems is getting Pepa to work on my computer period. For some reason it just doesn't want to work, and no I'm not on a MAC.

legal01
11-08-2012, 11:03 AM
An easy option is cutePDFwriter. its a PDF programme that acts as a printer so just print the pdo as normal just choose this programme. Its free and works as i have tried it.

cfuruti
11-08-2012, 02:32 PM
PDFForge
PDFCreator are a couple more. Free and available on souceforge.

I myself use PDFCreator, mostly for printing on a machine which doesn't have Pepakura. Despite Dave's reservations, .pdo files have their place, even for nondesigners like me - changing textures is a nice feature.

John Bowden
11-08-2012, 05:31 PM
An easy option is cutePDFwriter. its a PDF programme that acts as a printer so just print the pdo as normal just choose this programme. Its free and works as i have tried it.

I too have used this technique also.

eric_son
11-08-2012, 06:12 PM
I myself use PDFCreator, mostly for printing on a machine which doesn't have Pepakura. Despite Dave's reservations, .pdo files have their place, even for nondesigners like me - changing textures is a nice feature.

Plus the fact that pepakura viewer allows you to fully examine the model and how it's put together. In my opinion, this is the best build instructions one can have.

If only pepakura viewer worked on other platforms...
:-(

Hi-Torque
11-09-2012, 04:35 AM
Not to sound like a (complete) idiot but can someone explain to me:

I have figured out how to make a jpg. but not a PDF until your tutorial.

If you can already export to a format that is universally ready for import and manipulation, why worry about a proprietary format that adds nothing to the final product but file size and restriction?

cfuruti
11-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Plus the fact that pepakura viewer allows you to fully examine the model and how it's put together. In my opinion, this is the best build instructions one can have.

If only pepakura viewer worked on other platforms...
:-(

Sometimes it's the only instructions one can have... And regarding other platforms (Linux in my case), VirtualBox to the rescue!

cfuruti
11-09-2012, 04:54 AM
If you can already export to a format that is universally ready for import and manipulation, why worry about a proprietary format that adds nothing to the final product but file size and restriction?

PDF is an open format, with plenty of documentation and which can be edited and manipulated by free/open tools
PDF can contain vector information, which can be scaled at will, while JPEG puts everything on a single raster layer with limited resolution and degrades in quality every time you save it. For instance, I've edited PDF files created from .pdo in order to remove folding lines or rearrange tabs - that's trivial with vectors, not so much with rasters. (I dont't have Pepakura Designer; I'm aware it's possible to hexedit the .pdo in order to remove all folding lines, but that's not always guaranteed)
PDF has built-in size/resolution information; when printing "pure" raster formats like GIF/JPG/PNG, the final size depends on your system/printer's notion of dpi

Hi-Torque
11-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Ok thanks! Not especially a fan of JPEG...but I completely forgot about raster vs vector...hence the qualifying idiot statement.

whulsey
11-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks Dave. Going to have to give this a try when I get a chance.

Ponytail
12-17-2012, 10:40 AM
This all certainly answered my question !
Appeared nothing new then using PDF995.
Thanks folks!