PDA

View Full Version : Cathedral of Christ the Redeemer

Mike Stamper
11-17-2011, 07:06 AM
I first came across this Cathedral when I saw film of the followers of Stalin, ripping out the interior and burning it. The building was pulled down and housing would be built. Luckily, there was no money so the crypt was turned into a swimming pool.

In the 1990's it was decided to rebuild the Cathedral using commercial and public "donations". On our first trip to Moscow in 1999 we saw the outside but the tour didn't give us time to go inside. However, this time round we did get inside and I was overwhelmed by the building.

Last night I had dinner with a few members of the "UK card modellers club" and was asked why I hadn't sent any pictures, whn I had given hints in a previous post. So, I made the effort and here are a few pictures.

I mentioned our Russian trip last night and although one of the "members" wasn't interested in Russian Churches, I mentioned the memorials in Volgograd. If anyone is interested, a few pictures of the Cathedral - and Volgograd can be found here.

Mike Stamper's photosets on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikestamper/sets/)

The model comes from Papermodelling.net, where you will find many more churches.... and a lot of other stuff;-)

The model is about 10 inches tall and the main body and small towers are quite straighforward. It's the domes that take the time! There are two sets of parts, one set are made of the same card as the building and are printed in matt in a sort of gold colour. The other set are printed in very glossy gold on much thinner paper. In both cases the parts are printed as separate "petals" with small tabs on each. There are also bases for each dome.

As with the other domes I've made in the past, I removed all the side tabs. The base tabs were glued to the bases with the base inside the dome. I managed to butt join the smaller domes but the big one was more of a challenge, partly by the number of petals and partly by the size.

With all the domes I stick the base onto a bigger piece of card with "Blu Tack" the card is a big help for handling the dome and the Blutack means I can remove the finished article easily. You will see in the pictures that I added taps inside the big dome because the curve of the pieces meant that they pulled apart even when the glue had dried. I glued one petal to the next and left it for a day then glued the next two and left it again.

So, here are a few pictures, as each side of the Cathedral is the same there's only one picture of the whole building ;-)

Vermin_King
11-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Beautiful church, beautiful build.

I tried to link to your Flickr pic of the church, but it didn't work. But thanks for sharing.

Tomdaviesclay
11-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Mike,

Thanks for sharing your "dome experiences". I just counted and discovered that I had made 82 major domes "the old fashioned way". When I finish Hohensalzburg, I am going back to the El Pilar Basilica in Saragossa model which I started in order to take to the Papermodelers Convention as an example of Merino models. I have a long way to go on it. I counted 22 petal domes to construct, plus 14 of them have petal domes on top of petal domes. I am anxious to try your way. By the way, I have lived a very sheltered life because I had never heard of blu-tack. I had to look it up on the internet. Sunday when I pass Staples, I will pick up some for emergencies.

As always I enjoyed your descriptions and photos. A very nice model. I am not into Russian churches yet.

Thomas

Tim Crowe
11-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Some great photos Mike - Thanks for sharing.

A paper model of the Mother Russia statue would be great to see.

Tim

dondecap
11-17-2011, 03:23 PM
hi people,
Mike Stamper, when you print using the goldetc paper do you print on the back? or the front of the paper?.....I think this type of paper would have been good to use for the peafowl we did but would require front printing to get the 'fluorescent' effect...
regards

65Cycl0ne
11-17-2011, 03:45 PM
WOW very nice Mike.

Mike Stamper
11-17-2011, 03:50 PM
El Pilar should be a piece of cake - the card is quite heavy and should conform to the shape reasonably easily.
The domes I made are abouts thin as normal printer paper, but the gold print makes it quite difficult to curve - hence the small tabs. Anyway, good luck with all those domes !

Don, I can't answer your question because the kit comes already printed. The paper is very shiny so I guess would be printed on smooth paper. As the kit comes with two sets of parts for the domes you could use the shiny parts for other things and still havea complete kit.
Cheers
Mike

rjm
11-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Mike, Flickr worked fine for me. I watched the slide show
of the Kremlin Churches. Beautiful, should be of some
help with the Orel Kremlin models.
Thanks,
Bob