PDA

View Full Version : In Memory of Barry

cgutzmer
11-21-2011, 07:45 PM
We all know and loved Barry - both as a modeler and a person. A nicer human being I have never met. In memory of our dear friend I will be donating 100% of sales of Barry's models for November and December to a museum or charity in Barry's area. I will personally be making a 50% matching donation up to $200.

I am discussing with Barry's family an appropriate charity but given they may not have a suggestion I am open to suggestions from you.
Thanks!
Chris

ct ertz
11-21-2011, 08:02 PM
How wonderful! That's a great thought Chris.

Paperwarrior
11-21-2011, 08:53 PM
That is a great idea, Chris. I'm sure all involved appreciate that.

rickstef
11-21-2011, 09:11 PM
How about something naval, seeing that was Barry's history and love.

Donate to a ship restoration project.
Donate to a Naval Museum
Donate to the British Wounded Warrior project

Just something off the top of the dome

Rick

Darwin
11-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Somehow, a ship restoration project seems the most fitting.

Wyvern
11-21-2011, 09:23 PM
I am saddened to hear of Barry's loss. Fair winds and following seas, brother.

Great memorial, Chris.

Wyvern

nebeltex
11-21-2011, 09:52 PM
that is a fine idea chris. i noticed you have our LCA and LCVP. i'll send the LCM 3 to you soon. for the next YEAR, any of those sold can be put toward the charity chosen. anyone else care to "match" some vessel proceeds (as much as you reasonably can, through e-card models) to honor our compatriot in modeling?

deckape
11-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Ahoy
I am truely sorry for the passing oid Barry like Ron40 I had no idea the gentleman was ill. My blessings and condolences to his family and god bless him.

Boats

jimkrauzlis
11-21-2011, 10:37 PM
that is a fine idea chris. i noticed you have our LCA and LCVP. i'll send the LCM 3 to you soon. for the next YEAR, any of those sold can be put toward the charity chosen. anyone else care to "match" some vessel proceeds (as much as you reasonably can, through e-card models) to honor our compatriot in modeling?

I would like to contribute to the chosen charity in memory of our dear friend, just let me know how to do so.

Jim

Tapcho
11-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Count me in too, just let me know how and when. Another thought: how about organizing a tribute group-build on Barry's models? Let's keep his fleet floating.

Tappi

cgutzmer
11-22-2011, 05:34 AM
To donate you only need to buy one (or more) of his models from my shop. I will take care of the rest.
Thanks all, I will start looking into some ship restoration projects.
Chris

Gixergs
11-22-2011, 05:42 AM
There is a fund collecting money for the restoration of the Cutty Sark,I don't know if this would be considered appropriate but she is not only the last of the Tea Clippers but serves as a memorial to the Merchant Navy and the losses suffered in WW2 getting the convoys through.

jimkrauzlis
11-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Count me in too, just let me know how and when. Another thought: how about organizing a tribute group-build on Barry's models? Let's keep his fleet floating.

Tappi

Super idea...I already have two of his models underway, just haven't had the time to complete them, but I will certainly do so now, in honor and memory of my dear friend.

Jim

jimkrauzlis
11-22-2011, 06:57 AM
To donate you only need to buy one (or more) of his models from my shop. I will take care of the rest.
Thanks all, I will start looking into some ship restoration projects.
Chris

Chris, I pretty much already have all of his designs, so is there a mechanism or cart choice you might be able to set up on your webpage just for donations in memory of Barry?

The idea regarding the Cutty Sark restoration fund sounds grand, just something Barry would most likely support.

Jim

cgutzmer
11-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks barry! I can set something up tonight for a straight donation button in my shop

airdave
11-22-2011, 07:35 AM
I did up a little "In Memoriam" banner which Chris has graciously posted
on the front page at ecardmodels.com

Its the least I could do for Barry.

I met Barry when we were both part of the "designers" group
over at the now defunct ecardmodels Forum.

I remember following along as Barry worked on the LSM156 kit.

He always had nice things to say to me
...most recently he followed my PT Boat design process.

I never met the man, but I can honestly say, if I had the chance to
meet anyone from this group, he would have been a first choice.

jimkrauzlis
11-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Very nice, Dave...that is a very touching and wonderful remembrance of Barry.

Jim

jimkrauzlis
11-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks barry! I can set something up tonight for a straight donation button in my shop

That would be super, Chris...thanks!
Jim

Don Boose
11-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Chris. I, too, believe I have just about all of Barry's models and wouold very much like to be part of the remembrance. I will make use of the donation button.

Don

Wilfried
11-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Hello gentlemen,

Barry lived in Brighton; there's a little museum ....

Brighton Fishing Museum & Quarter / Welcome (http://www.brightonfishingmuseum.org.uk/index.html)

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

birder
11-22-2011, 12:42 PM
That is cool Wilfried, I can imagine that sort of thing being a delight to Barry with his love of ships and the sea.

cMags
11-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Condolences to Barry's friends and family. I didn't know the man very well, but from what I've read of him and by him on this forum, I can tell he was an upstanding gentleman. He will be missed.

Very nice work Dave on that memorandum banner. Chris, a suggestion: add a note, maybe even just in the Alt-Text (instead of the current alt-text that just says "barry") that all proceeds will be donated to (whatever charity you end up deciding on). This way anyone who visits your store and sees the banner, will see the note as well, if they aren't members here so they also know that the purchases are to a good cause.

cgutzmer
11-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks, Chris. I, too, believe I have just about all of Barry's models and wouold very much like to be part of the remembrance. I will make use of the donation button.

Don

You guys can still just purchase models under his name to equal the amount you want to donate and just not download them ;)

good suggestion cmags - thanks!

BrianTJohnston
11-22-2011, 03:18 PM
As a complete newbie, who was Barry and where do I find his models? As someone with an interest in model ships, I would probably be very happy to buy some of his models.

If you'll excuse my ignorance,

Brian

billy.leliveld
11-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Barry's models available here; ECardmodels.com Shop (http://ecardmodels.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=35&osCsid=b8ac4e6efab14ba3c3cb92f57b786bcd)
And if you want to read back and find out go to Barry's public profile,( by clicking on his avatar in any thread it appears) and check his posts

rickstef
11-22-2011, 10:03 PM
If enough monies are raised, how about splitting it and donating to the Cutty Sark and the Fishery Museum

That way we can cover both bases.

Rick

cgutzmer
11-23-2011, 06:37 AM
no problemo :) I will give an earnings update at the end of the month so people have an idea of how things are going!
Chris

RdK
11-23-2011, 08:14 AM
My deep condolesences to Barry's family! In the short time I spent here watching his build and enjoying even his comment on my one, I wish fare well to a great person I had unfortunately not more time to get to know.

Is it possible to order some of his models to Finland? Of course I would pay the extra costs! Please PM me and let me know.

Sincere regards,
Radek

jimkrauzlis
11-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi, Radek:

Kindly see Billy's post #25, above, and use the link to order from Ecardmodels...these are digital downloads via internet, so I would imagine that would not involve any difficulties due to your location, would it?

Cheers!
Jim

Don Boose
11-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Chris sez: "You guys can still just purchase models [at ECardmodels] under his name to equal the amount you want to donate and just not download them."

I have done so. Thanks for setting this up, Chris.

Don

Scott K
11-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Just a thought I had. Perhaps someone can contact Barry's family and ask for the files for his final design? I propose that one of the designers here finish it up, and all proceeds from it at eCardmodels be donated in perpetuity, as a lasting tribute to Barry. I think it may be a bit soon to ask them now, but maybe later on?

Scott K.

Wilfried
11-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Chris sez: "You guys can still just purchase models [at ECardmodels] under his name to equal the amount you want to donate and just not download them."

I have done so. Thanks for setting this up, Chris.

Don

I've done so, too.

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

milenio3
11-23-2011, 04:38 PM
My condolences to Barry´s family. I'm on to ECardModels to check on Barry's models... I've been procrastinating buying one of his models for a couple of years now, I think it's time for me to get one at least.

Thank you Airdave and Chris for the effort on his behalf.

Lex
11-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I'll be looking to buy Barry's models... so at least he'll still be with us in this way

airdave
11-23-2011, 05:24 PM
I think the idea of donating on Barry's behalf to a charity or group that Barry himself would approve of
is a FANTASTIC idea!
I support it completely.

But I have to ask...is his Family okay?
Do they need any financial help?
Would the donations help them out in this tough time?
or is it still okay to go the charity route.

and, if there is any member here that would like one of Barry's models
but can't afford it...please let me know.
And I will buy it for you.
[consideration please...I am talking about active members that I know, who have been here awhile, okay?]

cgutzmer
11-23-2011, 05:55 PM
I attempted an initial contact with his family through the only email I have.... I have not heard back yet but where the money goes may change based on their needs....

doctormax
11-23-2011, 05:59 PM
I think the idea of donating on Barry's behalf to a charity or group that Barry himself would approve of
is a FANTASTIC idea!
I support it completely.

[consideration please...I am talking about active members that I know, who have been here awhile, okay?]
yeah i hope his family are fine with things. and that is a nice offer dave.

peter taft
11-23-2011, 06:22 PM
is a FANTASTIC idea!
I support it completely.

This is what our community is all about - selfless deeds ! Very nice Dave.

airdave
11-23-2011, 08:14 PM
oh no...please don't blow my weak effort out of proportion.
I haven't donated any money...in fact money is a little tight right now.
But I realized there are other members who really struggle every now and then
and not everyone can always afford the $models.
So, I just figured if we had a member who wanted to help but couldn't,
it would be a good incentive for me to cough up a donation
and help someone else at the same time.
Those of you are making the real donations in Barry's honor
are doing much more than I ever could...THANK YOU
I'm sure Barry would be pleased with the support!

jimkrauzlis
11-23-2011, 09:17 PM
I attempted an initial contact with his family through the only email I have.... I have not heard back yet but where the money goes may change based on their needs....

Chris, please keep trying; the only other contact I have is Barry's email address but I rather doubt they would be checking that right now...but I'll send an inquiry anyway.

Jim

airdave
11-23-2011, 10:25 PM
isn't it funny how little we know of each other
...until a sad event like this happens, and then we struggle to find information
or get in touch with the right people.

I know a lot of people don't like revealing a lot of personal info,
but I was on another forum site where you could fill out an information card.
The card was not a publicly viewable item, but other members could download it.
And it had contact info and such.
Can't remember what it was called?

NStarkel
11-24-2011, 08:12 AM
.but I was on another forum site where you could fill out an information card.
The card was not a publicly viewable item, but other members could download it.
And it had contact info and such.
Can't remember what it was called?

You can do that here too, it's called a vCard, i found it while looking through stuff.

airdave
11-24-2011, 09:00 AM
thats it!!!
Vcard
yeah...cool...I'm going to go fill mine out right now.

uh oh...seems the Vcard just allows another member to get access to your email.
There is no option for other info.

Obviously we all want to protect our privacy.
But I think its a good idea to make sure at least one fellow member
has your personal contact info in the event of an emergency or situation such as this.
Chris Gutzmer has my info, since I am a member of ecardmodels.

I'll stop preaching now.

Tapcho
11-24-2011, 09:06 AM
If you go to UserCp and start editing your profile details you'll find at the bottom of the page places to put info about you, occupation, biography, interests etc. I'll fill out mine too.

Tappi

mchale
11-24-2011, 01:56 PM
i am looking for barry's china clipper in the downloads and cant seem to find it i found gary's version but not barry's can someone help me out

billy.leliveld
11-24-2011, 02:01 PM
i am looking for barry's china clipper in the downloads and cant seem to find it i found gary's version but not barry's can someone help me out
PM me Mike , I hosted that for Barry a while when he lost his HD
BTW, Just checked it's there; http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=22

Oldenburger67
11-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Hello ,

though i have already given my condolescence to Barryś Death i just have to express my feelings.
I really miss Barry.
I enjoyed my vistits in this forum when Barry presented his new designs and his new models here. I am stlll a Beginner in CAD to be precise in Blender. Barry was always an idol for me. There a quite a lot designers here, and i don 't want to be respectless to the others, but somebody who dare to design a full hull Modell of a second world war Battleship like the Richelieu is for me something like a modeling god or to put it better an idol and ideal in modeling.
Actually I don 't know what was his Profession before his retirement, but I suppose it must have been something with CAD otherwise I would have to have even more respect for his work.
His Designs encouraged me to start designing ships in Blender.
It was always a pleasure for me to see Barry's new Models here in this forum. Beside the Richelieu I liked his designs of the smaller lesser known ships of the navy, especially the starling of the Black Swan class. A class my father sailed on in the earlier days of the german federal navy.

Now there is no more, who design models like Barry.

I regret that I never told him what I have told you now.
I always thought i, and especially Barry would have enough time left.
That was my mistake. This is one lesson I have to learn now, never to wait too long in the vain hope of having enough time left.

Does anybody of you know whether Barryś last Design of the Agano will be published posthumously.
Will his design of the Gallisonierie class and the respectively design ever be published?

One last question, i am from germany and I actually have no credit card, despite these odds, is there a chance to order one of Barry s unique design's?.

To you Barry, I wish you a calm sea of eternity.
I wish you a heaven full of cardboard models, and a heavenly CAD Program to design much more models
To Barryś family i wish much power in the days to come.

We'll see us on the other side one day

Thomas

cgutzmer
11-25-2011, 09:39 AM
I am in contact with Barry's family and they do appreciate this collection.

I apologize to those I have offended with this idea.
Chris

birder
11-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks Chris for doing all this work, and please extend regards to Barry's family from us here who miss him, although his family must so much more

cgutzmer
11-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I have had many requests to reopen this thread so I am doing so but removing everything that isnt about Barry and our memory of him. Please keep it that way. If you have any questions or concerns please direct them towards a mod or an admin.
Thanks
Chris

peter taft
11-26-2011, 10:22 AM
I have had many requests to reopen this thread so I am doing so but removing everything that isnt about Barry and our memory of him. Please keep it that way. If you have any questions or concerns please direct them towards a mod or an admin.
Thanks
Chris

And rightly so Chris. Like the other guys, i am soooo pleased you re-opened this thread. Good on you, and great for our lost friend Barry {and his family}.

airdave
11-26-2011, 10:32 AM
excellent! cool with me too...
feel free to kill any of my off-topic posts.

how are the sales of models doing?
good?

Zathros
11-26-2011, 10:43 AM
I always got a kick out of Barry's pictures. You would see a fleet of ships stuffed all over the place. I always thought how cool it would be to hang out in those rooms and see all those models up close, and how nice it would have been to have a conversation with him about Politics, of which he was very defined of in his opinion. We shared the same view on many things, and on that level, the world lost an upright, caring, and deeply involved individual. Barry hated the economic divide that seems to be taking place everywhere. He was strong in this, and anyone who knew him knew his hatred of it. It bears being mentioned as a testament to someone who cared about the least of mankind. He truly was a thinker and acted on his thoughts, as best as he could.

THE DC
11-26-2011, 02:00 PM
This is a very respectful gesture.

The DC

codex34
11-27-2011, 01:15 AM
Thomas,
I believe Barry was a software engineer before he retired, don't know what he did before that.
As for his CAD experience, that is relatively new.
Surprisingly, Barry didn't start using CAD for his designs until his late 60's, he had always designed and built his ships by hand from plans, and wanted a faster method of producing the hull plates. His original method was to build the hull and then trace the hull plates using pencil and paper, scan them in and then print them out.
I still have 2 of his early unfinished CAD models on my computer, from sept 2005, they aren't very good as 3D models to be honest, but they are fantastic examples of how he used his vast knowledge of ship design in a digital format. It didn't take him long to become a great modeler in CAD. You know the rest.

I'd like to post an image here, in memory of Barry, of his unfinished HMS starling 3D model, so that Thomas and others can see how Barry designed his hulls, if they didn't know already, I'm sure he would have shown anyone that had asked him.
(Sorry, i'm not going to release Barry's 3D models, they aren't mine.)

bagpiper
11-27-2011, 02:28 AM
Oh wow. As stated above Ron40 now Barry. I go away and come back to sad news each time. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.

Cheers
Jim

Oldenburger67
11-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Thank you very much Codex34,

for your answer.
For the fact that Barry started a complete new technology after his retirement, he deserves even more respect.
I didn't know that.
There are quite a few people who would dare to do so, after their retirement.
Also I would like to thank you for the fine picture of Barry's Design. It reveals the way of his way of Design.

Actually, do you know whether his Agano as well as his Gallisonieri will still be published.
(I know, I should better ask Cgutzmer personally)
It would be another lasting memory of Barry.

Just another question (please excuse).
In his profile his Date of birth is stated to be the seventh of February 1938. In the Picture of our forum his date of Birth is stated to be the seventh of March. Which date is correct?

If it would be the first case he would be an Aquarius as i am (something else to share beside cardmodeling).

Thank you very much

Thomas

In Germany we celebrate the fist advent. Since that i wish all of you a nice christmas time

airdave
11-27-2011, 10:12 AM
I put Feb 7 on the ecardmodels.com banner...I apologize if this is incorrect.

cgutzmer
12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Hello all,
With the month done I have calculated the current memorial fund for barry to be $640. Thank you so much to everyone for the great support to the memory of our friend.
Thanks
Chris

jimkrauzlis
12-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Hello all,
With the month done I have calculated the current memorial fund for barry to be $640. Thank you so much to everyone for the great support to the memory of our friend.
Thanks
Chris

Wow, that's quite outstanding...have you been able to contact his family to determine what they feel would be a good application of the funds to best memorize his life and legacy? Damn, I still miss bazzer so very much....

Jim

cgutzmer
12-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Hey Jim, We have shared a couple emails but nothing suggested on that front yet.
Thanks!
Chris

eibwarrior
12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
I've been away much too long. And to my great shock, I found out today that we have lost a great friend and great designer, Barry.

I'll have to say Barry meant a lot to me. I used to keep regular contact with him, but over the last year or so we hadn't emailed much. I've been involved in pursuits outside of card modelling and I'd been remiss in keeping up with Barry.

My heart is heavy tonight with much sadness. I'll will greatly miss my ship enthusiast friend from across the pond.

I had helped him with many project (Big E, Agano, LSM 156, Richelieu). Actually the LSM was a favor Barry did for me. He was very reluctant to take on the project, but I had helped him with so much photo / drawing reference for his projects that he felt he owed it to me to design that old pig. :-) I can only smile at that thought. Barry really enjoyed designing that old pig once he got into it. It just goes to show how truly selfless and generous he was. He brought great joy to the veteran that we designed and built that LSM for.

Any way, I've not kept up with his recent work so I'm not real sure what was closest to completion in his designs. I know Agano was something Barry was really interested in finishing, so I suppose Agano would be the most up to date. I had sent him a long time ago lots of detail drawings and designs.

cgutzmer
01-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Hello!
Thank you to everyone in participating in this collection. I wanted to drop a line ot let everyone know that a total of 807 dollars have been collected for the fund! I am just waiting to hear back from the family before I move further. If not preference I will let you know where the money goes!
Thanks,
Chris

cgutzmer
01-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Hello all,
I have donated the funds to the Cutty Sark Trust in Barry's memory.

Cutty Sark - Visit the world famous Cutty Sark clipper ship (http://www.cuttysark.org.uk/)

Thanks all to everyone that participated.
Chris

Wilfried
01-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Thank you Chris,

it works for me; thank you for your engagement.

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

Darwin
01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
A very fitting memorial. Barry would approve.

billy.leliveld
01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Nice Chris, thanks for doing this

peter taft
01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Excellent choice, Barry will be smiling for sure !

Gixergs
04-24-2012, 09:52 AM
I thought that the people that donated to Barry's remembrance fund would like to know that after a 5 year restoration the Cutty Sark,the chosen recipient of the money, will be opened by Queen Elizabeth II tomorrow with the clipper being officially opened to the public on Thursday BBC News - In pictures: Cutty Sark ship-shape once more (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17818532)

Tapcho
04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the headsup, now I have to start planning a trip to London.

Tappi

Wyvern
04-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Excellent!

Wyvern

billy.leliveld
04-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Super, thanks Gixergs

Fishcarver
04-24-2012, 04:27 PM
CHRIS: I am in!
Jim

peter taft
04-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Excellent indeed ;):)

Gixergs
04-25-2012, 09:38 AM
The Cutty Sark was opened today by Queen Elizabeth II on a rather cold and soggy day. BBC News - Cutty Sark: Queen reopens Greenwich tea clipper (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17835225)

birder
04-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks for this Gixergs, what a cool vessel and one that Barry I'm sure enjoyed, still miss him a bit have to say. Very cool restoration and a living piece of history.:)

Paperwarrior
04-25-2012, 12:14 PM
This is excellent indeed. I'm sure Barry would be happy. RIP

Jeff

cgutzmer
04-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Going to France in August - might try and pop over :)

Gixergs
04-30-2012, 12:41 AM
She is an impressive sight and well worth a visit although there is some debate as to the current method of display Cutty Sark restoration makes clipper appear 'airborne' complain naval historians - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9225863/Cutty-Sark-restoration-makes-clipper-appear-airborne-complain-naval-historians.html)
As well as the Cutty Sark you have the Greenwich Maritime Museum,The Greenwich Royal Observatory and Greenwich Royal Park and a great day can be had there.The Greenwich Foot Tunnel next to the Cutty Sark is an interesting example of Victorian engineering and is also worth a visit.Sadly Sir Francis Chichester's Gypsy Moth IV is no longer on display next to the Cutty Sark and the Naval College is no more however the buildings are still very impressive.
I spent a lot of my youth there as my father was very much a Tall Ships lover.I was also lucky enough to have the TS Arethusa moored nearby at Upnor.She has now be given her original name of Peking and is moored in New York.