PDA

View Full Version : Help for a failing memory?

malachite
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Not to sure where to start this one but in the mid sixties, probably 1964 when I was 10 years old I was bought my first card model. Now this may only be relevant to the UK and possibly Europe but I would like to know if anyone out there in card land will remember these models.
Here goes: It was in printed book form (what else, given the period) and contained four scale models of jet aircraft of the day that would fly as gliders when weighted in the nose. I think that there was a Hawker Hunter and a Mig plus two others that I have forgotten. There was a sister book called Sailplanes and Gliders that also had four models. I seem to recall that the card was quite thick and I was only allowed to use scissors to cut them out resulting in some rough looking models but the flew extremely well and were quite robust, lasting the whole of the summer holidays.
I would be grateful if someone other than me remembers these models as my father is no longer here and my brother was to young at the time to have taken notice.

Diderick A. den Bakker
11-23-2011, 12:49 PM
That sounds like the Wallis Rigby books. Google will take you there.

sgoti
11-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Hmm...

I remember a book purchased at the Wright-Patterson Museum gift shop in the mid/late 70's.

I think it had four models, in color, but I seem to recall they were die-cut/punch outs.

I distinctly remember the Concorde (I think in BOAC colors), and I think I remember a Constellation. Don't recall what the others were.

malachite
11-24-2011, 04:10 AM
A bit more info for the sleuths. These models were three dimensional with a formed fuselage not flat. Scale was around 1/50 or 1/60. Book was stapled not bound.
I have looked at the Wallis Rigby models and I think the style was different.

sgoti
11-24-2011, 05:36 AM
Ah- Not what I remember, then.

MrMidwayMan
11-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Well, the wallis Rigby books aren't to far off...To bad you guys got there first! They do fly quite well ad are very robust, mind you.

malachite
11-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Because our hobby has been based on short print productions in the past maybe a database should be started to preserve what may be lost forever.
A short description and a photo of the cover would suffice!
What do you think?

malachite
11-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Just had another thought. Were Dover around in the sixties and could they have been the publishers?

Diderick A. den Bakker
11-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Because our hobby has been based on short print productions in the past maybe a database should be started to preserve what may be lost forever.
A short description and a photo of the cover would suffice!
What do you think?
Starting a database is of course a good idea - but it takes at least a group of very motivated people to make a succes of this, as the German group AGK (Arbeidskreis Geschichte des Kartonmodellbaus, study group for the history of paper modelling), shows. They concentrate mainly on German and European publications, and are very thorough. Have a look at their site to see the result of their first 10 years: Arbeitskreis Geschichte des Kartonmodellbaus (AGK) e.V. (http://www.kartonmodellbau.org/cgi-bin/bogen.pl?action=Verlage%20Deutschland_10)

Diderick A. den Bakker
11-30-2011, 02:47 AM
Found this via Google Illustrations - does it ring a bell? Part of the 'Giant model series', published by Bancroft London 1950.

malachite
12-01-2011, 04:27 AM
Diderick,
I think you may have hit the proverbial nail on the head as the name of Bancroft strikes a chord.
Do they still exist or has someone taken over their copyrights? It would be fantastic to see these models again.