PDA

View Full Version : Workshops, Design Studios and Man-Caves?

airdave
11-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Members have posted pics before
and the topic just came up again
so heres a new thread for you to post pics (or videos)
of your Card Model Work areas.

Lets see your worktables, your design studios and your Display areas!

I really don't havce any sort of elaborate setup,
so theres not really that much to show (that I haven't already photographed).
So I thought I would have a little fun with the video camera
and just take a quick walk around my work and recreation space.

Sorry, its really not as dark as it appears in this video!

WFbGKV5JsMY

Ron0909
11-24-2011, 03:00 PM
WOW! That's some space Dave. I'd give body parts to have that available :) At any rate it must be great fun for a visitor whenever they come around. So many interesting things to look at (and hopefully keep their mitts off!)
Thanks for that! Now I have to clean mine...
Ron

spgifford
11-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Very nice, I may have to do some cleaning so I can show mine (kinda scared what I may find if I did).

peter taft
11-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Great idea to show stuff like that. I just use a coffee table when i can, and that's been seen a few times here on the forum. Your place looks pretty cool :)

NStarkel
11-24-2011, 08:09 PM
I use the kitchen table.. not much, and i have to clean it up every time we use it ;) :)

Ron0909
11-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Here's mine....I *had* to clean up a bit before the pic so this thread has a two fold purpose :)

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7549/img0191fr.jpg

NStarkel
11-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Nice work space Ron! :)

airdave
11-24-2011, 08:41 PM
I guess the correct response would be "whatever floats your boat!"

LOL
I love the way the printer is right at hand!
Grab - cut - assemble - turn - grab - cut - assemble - turn...

Don Boose
11-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Image 1 is my desk at home when I'm building a model.

Image 2 is my desk at home when I'm writing.

Im age 3 is my desk at home when Tora-chan (Little Tiger Girl) comes visiting.

Image 4 is my U.S. Army War College "workbench."

airdave
11-24-2011, 09:59 PM
whats the big furry thing for?
wiping the glue off your fingers?

Inky
11-24-2011, 11:51 PM
whats the big furry thing for?
wiping the glue off your fingers?

Remind me never to take a drink again before reading one of Dave's post. That almost made me spew all over my laptop. That was too funny.

Once I clean up my work area I will post a pic.

codex34
11-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Ah man, you've all got tables and chairs!!!!!

I'm curious as to whether having an area to work in has any relation to productivity.
Thing is my own productivity has all but stopped, sitting on the edge of an inflatable bed (on the floor) with a book as a work surface, really doesn't work as the ideal working environment, neck pains, and I keep falling asleep.....
Anyone else not have a work area?

maurice
11-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Well mine's not quite all there right now.

But perhaps this should be under "other things we do and make". In this case a full quarter acre of mess.
Still in a few months, if I've got my design right (done in TurboCAD of course) my comp and bench will be back within a meter of where they were before.

Tapcho
11-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Since I opened my big mouth about showing workspaces at Dave's thread I guess I have to participate too. First pic shows my old space. It is in the corner of our family-room and nowadays dedicated for 'real work' only (I'm starting a home based business and needed 'an office' so to say.
The art-noveau stule cabinet still holds a part of my model collection and a selection of unbuilt kits.
The second picture shows the place for modelling (at least for now). It's in our basement and despite all the clutter and the fact it's a bit crowded with lots of stuff it's quite cosy place to be. It's warm, it's dry and it's away from everybody else - I think it qualifies as a man-cave. ;-)

Tappi

Inky
11-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Okay here is my man cave/bedroom.

My desk is a little small and does get cluttered while I work so I did clean it for y'all. I do every thing at my desk from draw, do models, write, read, I am also a licensed HAM radio operator so it is also my radio station for talking to the International Space Station and also all around the world. I do wanna add an extension of 6 foot on the right hand side for more room but hadn't got around to it yet. I am also painting my desk all black but hadn't got around to finishing that yet either.

That is my cutting mat and before any one says any thing.....yes I need to get a new one. Under it is a 1/4 inch piece of glass that I use to cut every thing on but got tired of changing blades every 5 minutes.

My main monitor on top of my base station radio is the main one I use to search the web, the one above it I use for the ISS tracking and also when I am doing a build I have the instructions on it. I also have a laptop that I use when I am designing models and just being lazy and want to play on the web while laying in bed.

Other than that this is my little corner of what I call heaven, I am always at peace when I sit here and do the things I do.

Hope you enjoyed.

legion
11-25-2011, 05:50 AM
I keep a gallery for this purpose: Workplace (http://www.n15.nl/?page_id=220) And it still is that messy. Maybe even moreso...

Don Boose
11-25-2011, 06:37 AM
These are some interesting workspaces. It's fun to see the places from which those excellent models emerge.

Quoth Dave: "whats the big furry thing for? wiping the glue off your fingers?"

Not only that, but she is also the one who actually does the writing, transmitting the words to me through my hand, See image 2. She is a sort of mews.

Don

airdave
11-25-2011, 07:27 AM
This is great! Keep 'em coming!
I am so glad many of you have decided to show us your clutter.
Its the best kind of clutter...its creative clutter.
I guaranty DaVinci's workshop was a mess all the time!
Although I am not saying your workspaces are cluttered.
In fact I think you all seem fairly well organized.
And if this thread prompted you to clean up a little, then your Wives can thank me too!

Thanks guys for joining in.

Inky, thats my kind of work station!

Tappi...you seem a little too cramped there.

Don... "mews" [groan]...as always, a pleasure to joke with you!
I will have to admit, if I was forced to own a Cat, I'm sure it would be just like y........no, I wouldn't...give your head a shake! sheesh!

Tapcho
11-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Tappi...you seem a little too cramped there.

I'm working 1/250 so it goes fine with that. Last model was about 4cm long. :D

wag
11-25-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm lucky enough to have a second bedroom that I use as my man cave. The models are mostly plastic (Heretic! Heretic!) because I've been building plastic for 45 years while I only discovered card modeling about six years ago.

airdave
11-25-2011, 09:36 AM
We do have a couple of female members...do they have "women-caves"?
[don't be rude]

billy.leliveld
11-26-2011, 04:00 AM
Here's mine;

glounsbury
11-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi,

Here are pictures of my "work" sites. The paper work station is in the house (the paper glue and acrylic paints don't stink). The wood shop is a separate building (insane people might call it a garage). Build every thing from balsa models to household furniture.

George

airdave
11-26-2011, 10:40 AM
okay, you guys (Billy, George) are just showing off now!

jaffro
11-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Wow, some of you guys, if not everyone that's posted so far, sure do have a way of making a guy feel inadequate, haha. I'm happy with my "space" it serves it's purpose but I sure am jealous of the room some of you have to spread out.

This is my current "man rock" (couldn't afford the cave), it's a piece of wood resting on an ottoman in front of the tv, it needs to be put away on top of the tv cabinet when I'm not using it so a certain 3 year old and his 1 year old sister can't help themselves to all the shiny sharp stuff.

Don't let the coffee cup fool you into thinking this is small, it's actually a giant cup. The truck on the workbench is 1:24.

Inky
11-26-2011, 05:12 PM
WOW George, love the shop. The fun I could have with a place like that. I could have all my wood working stuff on one side, my modeling on another and still room for my other junk.

Miles Linnabery
11-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Dear AirDave:
I can't belive you missed the logo on the front of the desk in the first picture of post #20!!!!!
It's just after Thanksgiving I've been Banished to the basement with card models I use a small folding tray table to build on. I do wish that I could download the camera into this computer.
I am enjoying seeing the work spaces very much,
MILES

airdave
11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
you mean the Hot Wheels logo?
I saw it.

heehee I make those stickers! shhhh
I've got one on my car.

I've also painted a few Hot Wheels shirts.
And of course I had all the original Hot Wheels.

My Father has roughly 5,000 cars today, but mostly 80s, 90, 00s.
Unfortunately all in boxes so nobody can look at them.
LOL thats pretty much how he collects things.

sorry...all off topic...

airdave
11-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Jaffro, I think the workspace is quite respectable.
We all work with what we got.
And its more about what you produce, than it is about where you produce it!

You could have a fancy work area, and still not produce anything thats really very good.
Just look at Billy's work.

glounsbury
11-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Guys,

Don't be too jelous of the wood shop, that represents over 40 years of collecting tools and waiting for the place to put them. As one young smarrty said "wow, look at all those antique tools."

George

goodduck
11-27-2011, 12:03 AM
OMG! I love your wood shop, George.

jaffro
11-27-2011, 03:22 AM
Jaffro, I think the workspace is quite respectable.
We all work with what we got.

I'm not complaining, just jealous :)

I'll be moving house soon and will hopefully be able to set up something more permanent which will also boost my productivity or lack of it... sometimes I want to work on a model but just can't be bothered getting it all down from its perch.

I especially liked the fact that your "Man Cave" actually looks like a cave, thanks to the fact it's in a basement, and the dim lighting in the video

You could have a fancy work area, and still not produce anything thats really very good.
Just look at Billy's work.

I'm not touching that one, lol!

airdave
11-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Honestly! its dark like a Rec room, but its not that dark! really! LOL I'm not living in the dark!

billy.leliveld
11-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Dave is absolutely right, the best two things I produced came from the bedroom:cool:

bagpiper
11-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Last years video but related to the topic so here you go again ;)

Cheers
Jim

ZV-7Xz_WSJA