PDA

View Full Version : Animal cruelty at its worst...don't look if you are squeamish

airdave
12-05-2011, 02:50 PM
I cried...for ten minutes I sat and cried.

I hope I never have to watch something this cruel ever again.

and you guys are worried about file sharing?

This...is what really hurts.

adU8IAMqHbM

wag
12-05-2011, 03:05 PM
That is ugly indeed. Something to think about next time you're gulping down a soda from an aluminum can. I noticed they didn't even try to cut up the cockpit tub-is that titanium?
Wayne

Tapcho
12-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I your going for a kill, don't nibble.

Tappi

pdmccool
12-05-2011, 03:14 PM
I can't get as morose over a Warthog as I would if it were a WWII era plane. I always hated the end of "The Best Years of Our Lives" where Dana Andrews is walking through the B-17 graveyard (which is now Ontario International Airport, here in SoCal).

Texman
12-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Well, the humane part of this, it was an ABDR (Aircraft Battle Damage Repair) aircraft, so it hadn't been alive in years.

Spaceguy5
12-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Why did you let me watch that? </3 I agree, had it been a WWII bird, I would have cried. Although in a few decades, when A-10s are as scarce as WWII planes....

spaceagent-9
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
they put a stripped jet in our park when i was a kid. we loved it!
too bad that didnt happen with this.

cMags
12-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Its amazing how light and rigid those airframes are. It sounds like the crusher is munching through fiberglass or something brittle, and the plane bounces around like a model, but each time the crusher grabs a chunk, it lifts itself off the ground, with no visible effort from the plane in holding up the beast. :eek:

Loui
12-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Sad sad... the same feelings when i watched F-14 being -dismantled- like that. F-14a-d and A-10 my all time favorite jets...

peter taft
12-05-2011, 06:23 PM
O.M.G - She's your baby !! what a devastating thing to behold - My sympathy goes out to you Dave, and all the families suffering from this awful sight :eek:

Gixergs
12-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Horrid end,I remember as a younger man hanging out of a speeding Sherpa van on the way to Manchester in order to watch an A10 that was flying next to us,amazing sight.
As for nightmare scenes this one really gets me

NjN3PE4ICj0

Hudsonduster
12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Awwwww Yah.

But it's "Welcome To The Food Chain," like it is for everything including us (we just conveniently sidestep that little detail in our musings). We don't mourn the odd & frequent Peterbilt taken out of service, but then for most of us that's just an obstacle on our commute! This is different...

No, it's not. As a longtime researcher into 19th-cent.commercial sail (the Peterbilts of their time), I mourn the loss as well. At least, here we have a whole wealth of photo and other data we can model from.

The armored tub is what makes me want to stand up and wave the flag! We build airplanes to protect our boys--but ground-attack craft have typically been armored like that. There's a story of a Sturmovik they set out at Aberdeen as a target, and after several days of pounding, the tub was all that was left--and it was intact.

The other thing to celebrate here is the Warthog's wonderful Gatling gun. An early demo of the weapon had 'em setting a Lincoln Mk IV out on the firing line, and sawing through it in twenty seconds flat. Just the kind of thing that makes it really hard for me to stay a decent left-wing pacifist, but there it is.

Hail True and Faithful Warrior, and Godspeed.

'Duster

peter taft
12-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Horrid end,I remember as a younger man hanging out of a speeding Sherpa van on the way to Manchester in order to watch an A10 that was flying next to us,amazing sight.
As for nightmare scenes this one really gets me

NjN3PE4ICj0

And what a waste - Your baby had all things going for her, shame the Government didn't see it that way. Diabolical waste of designers / builders / testers time, and tax payers money. Well, that's Gov Business for you, here anyways :mad:

Blue Angel
12-05-2011, 07:04 PM
R.I.P. Requiem in pacem... Rest in Peace.
Nothing in our life is for ever.
I remember the demolish of the last KLM Constelations on Schiphol airport.
I was a little boy in that time and i also has waterlanders in my eyes.
To see this video (Airdave)... This hero of the sky deserve a better end than this and i hope that they keep enough of this planes for to show in the museum every where in the world.
So please USA don't destroy your history in this way.

peter taft
12-05-2011, 07:13 PM
The sadness never ceases !

avro202
12-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Change TSR2 to Arrow, and they could be talking, almost word for word, about the Canadian Avro Arrow.

Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_arrow)

Concevied in the 50's to be a state-of-the art aircraft, it fell afoul of short sited penny-pinching politicians who had no real understanding of what the potential threats were and how to counter them. And the end was exactly the same- the project abruptly terminated, all prototypes, jigs and drawings destroyed by the government, and a collapse of the company.

mbauer
12-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Can't watch it!

Too bad they can't let the US tax payers get more money for them than scrap.

Battle damage, this bird is a hero! Evidently got someone home, before the scrap pile!

Sure would make a nice crop duster! Forest Fire Fighter too!
Mike

Loui
12-05-2011, 10:20 PM
crop duster!? :) .... A silent dusterrr. if you hear it coming!, its too late.

Retired_for_now
12-05-2011, 11:07 PM
So, eventually all the aircraft you flew either end up on a stick at the front gate or get a second life as beer cans ... not such a bad way to go.
Yogi (still a few old friends logging flying hours)

Texman
12-06-2011, 06:04 AM
An ABDR airframe was an airframe who's service life had been reached, or
had some catastrophic incident that rendered it unfeasable to repair. It was
then turned into a repair training asset to teach the mechanic how to do battle
damage repair and get the aircraft flying again, in the wartime scenario.

Nemesis7485
12-06-2011, 06:17 AM
I had to look away just as they were about to make the first cut. I hate the sight of hydraulic fluid!

luke strawwalker
12-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Can't watch it!

Too bad they can't let the US tax payers get more money for them than scrap.

Battle damage, this bird is a hero! Evidently got someone home, before the scrap pile!

Sure would make a nice crop duster! Forest Fire Fighter too!
Mike

HA! I've got an A-10 story for ya...

I farm in SE TX about 45 miles west of Houston... run cows now but most of my teenage years and 20's were spent running tractors growing cotton. Now, we've always had our share of military jets flying over... though they've become a LOT more infrequent than they were in the 80's and 90's when I was a teenager/just graduated high school... I was up on top of a cotton picker, about 15 feet off the ground, hunkered down on about a 45 degree sloped smooth sheet steel picker basket roof, holding on with one hand to the cleaning grates behind me while reaching WAY out to spray paint the bottom edge of the basket lid, when an F-4 Phantom went over high subsonic, at tree top level... I never heard the thing coming... it was almost directly over me when I heard it and looked up, and it looked like I could have practically touched the underside of it it was so close... and the noise was unbelievable!!! Of course this nearly caused me to lose my balance, but I managed to remain on the slick steel picker basket roof and not fall off... Otherwise I might not be around to type this...

Anyway, about the A-10's... one fine late winter/early spring day I was in the field pulling a set of bedders, plowing up the field to prepare it for fertilizing and spraying herbicide before spring planting. Now those middlebusters pull HARD, and the old Ford 70 horse 6600 I was running was pulling 4 rows in heavy black clay, so that old girl was workin', lemme tell ya. I got so attuned to the machine that I could slow down for a turn, pull back in the field, drop the plow back in the ground, and pull the throttle back to the correct speed without even looking at the tachometer, just from the engine tone alone... that and the transmissions in those tractors had STRAIGHT CUT gears, which unlike the helical gears in truck transmissions make a VERY loud whining noise, ESPECIALLY under heavy loads... the pitch would change with the speed, so I could set the engine speed almost perfectly by just the pitch of the whine from the transmission without using the tach at all. The timbre and loudness of that whine told me just how hard the tractor was pulling-- it was noticeably louder when you'd hit a hard spot or if the plow sank too deep and you needed to bump it up a little before the draft control caught it... Anyway, so I'm running along, doing 60 acres, tweaking my machine and sailing along on a pretty, warm, clear early spring day and daydreaming a bit... suddenly, I hear this whine, getting louder, and Louder, and LOUDER... I glance down at my instruments-- am I losing a bearing?? Engine problems?? Water pump out?? Alternator bearing locking up?? Dropping a bearing in the transmission or engine?? Nothing appears amiss... temp, charge, everything's fine... she's pulling hard but still pulling, hasn't stalled or started smoking or whatever yet... still this whine is getting IMPOSSIBLY LOUD... I'm thinking "OH $#!t, the transmission is about to blow up... and I'm sitting astraddle of it!" Right as I hit the clutch, and the tractor lurches to a stop, the transmission whine gone, I realize it's coming from in front of and above me... not one but TWO A-10's are flying over the farm... heck, right over the other end of the darn field! They're at treetop level, going VERY slow (compared to the usual F-4's and A-6's or Talon trainers that we'd see streaking over the farm at high subsonic speed... from over one horizon to over the other horizon in about 5 seconds flat...) These look like they're stuck in molasses, twisting and turning, with the other one glued tight on his tail, obviously "dogfighting"... suddenly, the front one, which cannot shake his pursuer, chops the power and does a sharp side-slip, dropping the right wing and kicking the rudders over hard, dropping the plane and bringing it nearly to a standstill... you could hear the big turbofans wind down... the pursuer, hot on his heels, has no choice but to ram the throttles forward, pitch up and climb over him and overshoot him, then settle back down into level flight and start jinking... the prey is now the predator as he deftly shoves the throttles forward, spooling up the big turbofans for more power, and climbs right in behind him-- perfect shooting position... The whole thing lasted maybe five seconds, and I watched them jink and level out as they disappeared over the northern horizon maybe 15-20 seconds later... I popped the clutch and went back to work...

Bout the coolest thing I've ever seen when it comes to planes... :) OL JR :)

pong17003
12-07-2011, 03:23 AM
so sad....

cardmodeler
12-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Save the warthogs!!!

Vermin_King
12-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Save the warthogs!!!

As I was driving back to KC a couple weeks back, when the Chiefs were on Sunday Night Football, the A10s were in a sort of holding pattern to fly over the stadium. With the lights on flying in tight formation at night, it was quite a sight. I wasn't the only one to pull over to gawk.

mbauer
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
An ABDR airframe was an airframe who's service life had been reached, or
had some catastrophic incident that rendered it unfeasable to repair. It was
then turned into a repair training asset to teach the mechanic how to do battle
damage repair and get the aircraft flying again, in the wartime scenario.
Didn't know that, Thanks for the info!

Mike

Loui
12-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Warthog Door 'Art' ....Here it is...i have it on my webrowser bookmark, Door Art (http://www.thewarthogpen.com/door1.html) and a Story about Battle Damaged A-10 Story about Battle Damaged A-10 (http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Stories1/001-100/0016_A-10-battle-damage/story0016.htm)

Kira
12-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Really heart wrenching :(

mldixon
12-09-2011, 09:08 AM
HA! I've got an A-10 story for ya...

I farm in SE TX about 45 miles west of Houston...

Bout the coolest thing I've ever seen when it comes to planes... :) OL JR :)

For a tractor jockey you have a keen grasp of the art of storytelling . I enjoyed that...

luke strawwalker
12-09-2011, 11:59 AM
For a tractor jockey you have a keen grasp of the art of storytelling . I enjoyed that...

Thanks... my wife (English teacher) keeps telling me I aught to be a writer... :)

Later! OL JR :)