PDA

View Full Version : Dec 7 1941 a day that will live in infamy

mchale
12-07-2011, 10:21 PM
I NOTICED THAT NO ONE MADE A THREAD FOR THIS I WOULD FIRST OFF LIKE TO SALUTE THE THE BRAVE AMERICANS HOW DIED ON THAT FATEFUL SUNDAY MORNING SECOND I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE MY PEARL HARBOR PICS THAT I TOOK WHEN I WAS ON VACATION ON THE ISLAND OF O'ahu IN 2007 THESE PICS ARE ALL I HAVE BECAUSE THE REST WERE TAKEN WITH A NON DIGITAL CAMERA

D-H
12-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Looks like paradise but must have been quite moving too.

I wonder what the equivalent emotional location would be in the UK or France... etc. Perhaps somewhere with close associations with the Battle of Britain?

D

piginapoke
12-08-2011, 02:08 AM
That's a very interesting question, ive not thought about before. I guess the white cliffs of dover serving as a psychological defensive wall against invasion has a real emotional resonance or the WWI cemetries in France would be very moving. Leftfield thought on this made ne think of Falkland Islands symbolising Britain's determination to go to the ends of the earth to protect its national interests and citizens (and a good few penguins :))

Spaceguy5
12-08-2011, 04:23 AM
Crazy to think that it's already been 70 years

mbauer
12-08-2011, 05:36 AM
Hi mchale,

Thanks for the photos!

mike

JR.
12-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Yes thank you for sharing them and thank you men of the second world war and not only them but their families. who sacrificed something in their lives or their life for the freedom we have today. Those of all wars I salute you.

peter taft
12-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Wonderful Mike, truly wonderful !

Vermin_King
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
There was a show on History Channel last night on this that put things in a different perspective for me. One of those 'duh, I should have known that' moments. 70 years ago, information traveled so much slower. Within an hour of the first wave, Roosevelt was notified, but had no idea of the extent. The head of the base was also vague when talking to the Secretary of the Navy because he was on an unsecured line. Most of Roosevelt's actions in the next 24 hours were surprisingly on track considering how little info he was working from.

This disaster was one of the key turning points in the way the political and economic landscape of our planet developed since. A very sad day.

JR.
12-09-2011, 11:52 AM
I found a couple MP3 clips one is FDR's Deceleration Of War and the other is Churchill's battle of Britain speach.

http://www.charleslindbergh.com/mp3/speech/fdr.mp3 http://taphilo.com/history/wwii/Winston-Churrchill-Battle-of-Britain-speech.mp3