PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed about Pepakura, SketchUp, 3D stuff

DagobahDave
01-12-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm no stranger to "analog" paper model design. I know how to convert basic polygonal shapes in my imagination directly into 2D flat shapes on paper, and I can usually figure out where to place the glue tabs.

But I know that I could be doing better work if I started with a digital 3D design. I'd really appreciate some advice about that.

I have a little experience with 3D Studio Max from like 10 years ago, and I've fooled around with SketchUp once or twice. I know where to look for advice about how to create 3D objects, so that's not what I'm looking for.

Where I'm lost is about things like Pepakura, or any sort of programs or add-ons to SketchUp that make it real super dang easy to unfold a 3D model so that I can open it up as a 300dpi (bitmap/raster) image file in Photoshop. When I did some skinning for video games back in the 17th century, they were called UV maps. Probably still are.

Since this is a question about software: I'm running Windows XP, and my budget is limited to freeware or verycheapware.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

goodduck
01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
I running Rhino, but if I am not, I would run Pepakura. Sketchup is not bad but I just like Pepakura a lot more and it unfold better too.

looker
01-12-2012, 10:52 PM
I know how to convert basic polygonal shapes in my imagination directly into 2D flat shapes on paper So what possible need can you have for software.:confused:;):) Metasequoia -cheap, Pepakura - cheap, the combination - effective.

grimpirate
01-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Try Blender 3d and read this article
Creating paper models (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?101194-Creating-paper-models)
Also, I believe this is the script he's referring to for unfolding
http://celeriac.net/unfolder/
It is loaded by default into Blender now as I understand it. It can export the unfolded nets into SVG format which means you can then import it into Inkscape for editing as a vector file.

DagobahDave
01-13-2012, 12:34 AM
So what possible need can you have for software.
I can handle basic polygons, and most of my model designs are just collections of simple shapes. What I struggle with in 2D are things like curved objects intersecting planes at an angle.

DagobahDave
01-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Trying Blender now. This will probably work once I figure it out. Thanks for the suggestions, everybody.

DagobahDave
01-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Good results using the freeware versions of SketchUp and Pepakura to get the cut-and-fold lines. Photoshop for the finish.

Here are a couple of projects I'm working on with my new tools:

http://www.davesgames.net/papercraft/png/test-floating-kitchen-01.png

http://www.davesgames.net/papercraft/png/test-floating-kitchen-02.png

http://www.davesgames.net/papercraft/png/test-berebeli-02.png

grimpirate
01-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Stunning work, and a very clean test build. I like that you provided different variants of the sail. Also, is that a hawk in the back of the ship?

Give a man a model and he enjoys it for a day, teach a man to model and he does so for a lifetime, or some such paraphrase of the quote.

Zathros
01-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Nice boat! I really like the lines. I don't think you will have any trouble unfolding it. Very nice!!

DagobahDave
01-27-2012, 11:52 PM
I like that you provided different variants of the sail. Also, is that a hawk in the back of the ship?
Tiller/rudder. The final version is a little larger than the one in my test.

The sails have little sleeves that attach to the yard instead of being glued in place, so they so they can be swapped out on the fly.

zubie
03-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Try Blender 3d and read this article
Creating paper models (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?101194-Creating-paper-models)
Also, I believe this is the script he's referring to for unfolding
Unfolder for Blender (http://celeriac.net/unfolder/)
It is loaded by default into Blender now as I understand it. It can export the unfolded nets into SVG format which means you can then import it into Inkscape for editing as a vector file.

There is an actual paper model plug-in for Blender. It works very differently if you are in a Blender version before 2.5 or post 2.5 because of the huge change over on the interfaces. I don't think unfolder is built into v2.5+ because I have looked for it under "mesh" and can't find it, although you should still be able to install it as an add on. On the other hand someone has already written a "paper model" export feature that is built on top of unfolder. It will cut parts out as per designated seams (mostly..sometimes it has a mind of its own) and add tabs. It's a bit tricky.
I posted some of my experience working with it on my blog (http://constantvariation.blogspot.com/2011/02/mod-mon-eventuallyhow-i-worked-with.html) as I used it to create my R-2 missile model. Details for the script itself are at Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Paper Model - BlenderWiki (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Paper_Model)

I have used it quite a bit because I tend to find myself often working on the Mac, and because I'm cheap (blender is free and so is the script). The script can be frustrating at times (unexplained failures to export, part distortions, superimposed parts, occasional part mirroring, and failure to always cut along the designated seams). It is was still easier to use than the freebie script for Sketch-up.

Wyvern
03-31-2012, 03:33 PM
I like that boat, Dave!

Wyvern

Oldenburger67
04-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Hello Zubie,

i really appreciate your concern tio use Blender. Though the problem is, what you already mentioned, that the extensions for Blender 2.6 are quite problematical.
I would really recommend you touse the older version of Blender 2.49b. Though it had not that advanced interface, as the newer Versions have, but there were quite a lot of working scripts for paper modelers.
If you consider this, here is the link to get Version 2.49 B:
Index of /release/Blender2.49b/ (http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/)

In our german cardboardmodel Forum, there were quite some busy modelers, using Blender (2.49B)

Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Blender | LASH-Carrier "MS München" (http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=14360&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=7)

Our Member Matthias built a model of the lost Lash carrier München (Munich) for example.
Okay, it is in german LAnguage, but the picture are quite impressive.
There was even a whole Blender Forum within the Cardboard Forum using Blender and writing scripts for Blender (for Example a script for projecting Meshes on meshes):Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Blender (http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/board.php?boardid=205)

especially:

Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Blender | Kurzes Tutorial zu den Mesh-Tools for Papermodellers (http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?postid=341870#post341870)

If you have questions to that matter, don't hesitate to post a question within our forum, most of us can read and write english.

Since the massive changes in Blender, stepping up to Version 2.5 and 2.6, it has become a little bit quieter in our blender Threads. Actually the problem isn Blender itself, but python. The new version of Python has significant changes in it's syntax. It's almost a new language, and it takes quite a while to learn it. After all, the existing scripts had to be modified to run with the newer Version of python.
So there is quite a lot to do, to get Blender back on the paper track ;-))))

Good Luck to you

Zathros
04-01-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm no stranger to "analog" paper model design. I know how to convert basic polygonal shapes in my imagination directly into 2D flat shapes on paper, and I can usually figure out where to place the glue tabs.

But I know that I could be doing better work if I started with a digital 3D design. I'd really appreciate some advice about that.

I have a little experience with 3D Studio Max from like 10 years ago, and I've fooled around with SketchUp once or twice. I know where to look for advice about how to create 3D objects, so that's not what I'm looking for.

Where I'm lost is about things like Pepakura, or any sort of programs or add-ons to SketchUp that make it real super dang easy to unfold a 3D model so that I can open it up as a 300dpi (bitmap/raster) image file in Photoshop. When I did some skinning for video games back in the 17th century, they were called UV maps. Probably still are.

Since this is a question about software: I'm running Windows XP, and my budget is limited to freeware or verycheapware.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

If you have any children, and they are in school, you can get a student version of Rhino 4.0 (which is the same as Regular Rhino) for around $100 dollars. Al you need is a certificate stating they are a student. It never expires, and the level of models you can make will go from paper, to the real thing. This is one of the most powerful programs available, it is a REAL CAD program and the few who know it's capabilities, as amazed that it sells for the price it does. Anyone who is a student, can get the model. You then have Rhino, legitimately with all the updates and available plugs ins (some cost money) but some don't. I built my Barn with Rhino, 3 bicycles, and many parts for many cars. Get Rhino, find a relative who is a student, and you will be all set. Rhino can then be downloaded, and they will send you a working activation code. This is what McNeel, the creators of Rhino, told me to do last week, when I inquired about Rhino 5.0, which has not been released. This is a legitimate alternative.

bcook62
06-21-2012, 03:34 AM
I've read all of this and seem to still be at a loss as to one thing that makes my unfolds in Pep difficult and that is...when I unfold my model, exported from Sketchup as a DAE file, it has so many small bits that to use them "as is" would be daunting at best, so my question is this...is there a way to "clean up" the model so that there are less "pieces" as well as so many? Thanks, all of this thus far has been a big help!

zeawolves77
06-21-2012, 07:06 AM
very nice build :D keep up the good work. I'm sure in a short time you'll master paper model design.

jleslie48
06-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Just finished my first project using 3d software. I used AC3D for most of the 3D work and texturing. the best part of the texturing is the ability to easily map a photograph to your shapes:

<<see attached>>

I found a photograph of the crane, (the dcsxxx.jpg), using paint shop pro cut away the background, and enhanced the yellow and red, added other jpg samples I wanted to use (the red from the flames) to make the photo crane01.jpg, and using crane01.jpg as the texture file I was able to wrap my 3d model of a crane as shown in the first picture.

NOTE though, for 3DS files, the texture files filename must be no longer than 8 characters, and the extension must be 3 characters.

AC3D then let me export to 3DS where I was able to open the 3ds file with Pepakura for unfolding.

AC3D is quite good for paper 3d modeling as it lets you keep very low polygon counts. For example I can trace any shape I want, then pull/extract it to make a 6 sided version, and end up with pretty much just 6 flat surfaces. 3DS will "triangulate" the sides resulting in more surfaces, but not too bad.

Gandolf50
03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
I've read all of this and seem to still be at a loss as to one thing that makes my unfolds in Pep difficult and that is...when I unfold my model, exported from Sketchup as a DAE file, it has so many small bits that to use them "as is" would be daunting at best, so my question is this...is there a way to "clean up" the model so that there are less "pieces" as well as so many? Thanks, all of this thus far has been a big help!
In a nutshell "NO", that is to say, yes there are ways , simplify the original mesh etc.. but when it comes down to pressing that button on Pepekura to unfold, expect pieces to be scattered to the four winds! If it is more complicated than simple box shapes ( and even then ) they will be scattered. There was mention on the forums about manually cutting the model apart but even that would be extremely difficult on the simplest of my models..I need to find out more on that aspect..if you are going to use Pepekura you need to get very good at breaking and rejoining and then re-arranging the parts in auto unfold.

zubie
03-24-2013, 11:03 AM

The blender script sometimes creates the same problems for me. Some additional experience described here Constant Variation: Mod Mon: Current WIP and lessons learned so far (http://constantvariation.blogspot.com/2012/12/mod-mon-current-wip-and-lessons-learned.html)

I would suggest exploding your model into subsections once you have decided on the final shape. It has helped me force a particular unfolding pattern and avoid lots of little individual parts. As I said before since I work with a Mac, I have no pepakura exp, but I have noticed that models that appear to have that origin sometimes unfold in "spaghetti monster" shapes, and often don't have any internal skeleton structure which makes the final model weak.

I'm not sure what exactly your subject is, but consider something like the fishing boat. You could create the model, but then separate the hull from the deck, and the deck details, bulkheads from the hull, and so forth, and even leave them in sep. files. You may get the parts to "unfold" the way you want them to then. This will also keep the face count low so the jigsaw puzzle problem, if it happens, isn't that big.

looker
03-24-2013, 01:12 PM
I've read all of this and seem to still be at a loss as to one thing that makes my unfolds in Pep difficult and that is...when I unfold my model, exported from Sketchup as a DAE file, it has so many small bits that to use them "as is" would be daunting at best, so my question is this...is there a way to "clean up" the model so that there are less "pieces" as well as so many? Thanks, all of this thus far has been a big help!Can't be sure about this but I suspect that the clutter of small bits comes from the constructions (lines and curves etc.) used in generating the model in sketchup. See if you can clear those bits in sketchup and export only the surfaces and textures that you want pepakura to unfold.