PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a Waybe Thread

RyanShort
09-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Well, I'm thinking that if I can find the time and the persistence, I will try and show some of my progress in designing a plane in Sketchup and hopefully eventually showing how Waybe works. Here's the first shot - for you to guess at the subject matter.
My intention is for this to be as quick and dirty of a design as possible, so I can actually join the ranks of designers rather than just commissioning and redrawing. Maybe if I can get one done, I can start on more.

Ryan

RyanShort
09-19-2008, 09:18 PM
No takers on what this plane might be?

Ryan

RyanShort
09-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Here's a screenshot of a Waybe unfold of the cowling... The hard part is learning how to designing the piece, the easy part - clicking the buttons and having Waybe unfold them.

Ryan

Leif Ohlsson
09-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Hello Ryan,

there is something Piper-ish about it, and knowing your field of interest, a guess would be Piper PA-12.

Otherwise, the unfolding looks really pretty. How did you manage to reduce all those small triangles that Sketchup produces to that simple pattern? That's what got me in the end, trying Sketchup.

Leif

PS (edited afterthought): Perhaps you started out with something that would have simple curves. What really struck me, when I saw the work in progress, was a Wittman "Tailwind". It was something about the angle of the front window. Now that I had a quick look again, via Google, I think this would have to be my real guess. You went the sensible way first, only later progressing to what you'd really like to do, right?

Gil
09-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Wittman Tailwind also came to mind but the vertical stabilizer is not typical for that design. A second guess is the Culver Cadet though Ryan's current drawing does not show the rounded turtleback. It does have the general characteristics of that design...,

+Gil

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/TX/SanBenito_TX_Cadet_46.jpg

RyanShort
09-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Sorry Lief, but your a bit off on the plane. Yes, I'm trying to do something somewhat simple, but probably not as simple as you think.
Reducing the little triangles in SU is more a matter of how you design, what kind of plugins you are using, and being able to think simplify things. Especially helpful plugins are the Bezier curves, curve stitcher, stitcher, weld, and TOS (tools on surface). Also helpful is learning to use the "map" or terrain features. Here's a view showing the "hidden geometry" (View > Hidden Geometry). The upper and lower cowlings were done with that lifesaver curvestitcher, the middle portion (not being a curve!) was done by hand, but I could've done it at least one other way.

Ryan

RyanShort
09-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Oh, and I selected all of the parts from this and used the Window > Soften Edges as well, then made it into a group. Works pretty well.

Ryan

RyanShort
09-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Wittman Tailwind also came to mind but the vertical stabilizer is not typical for that design. A second guess is the Culver Cadet though Ryan's current drawing does not show the rounded turtleback. It does have the general characteristics of that design...,

+Gil

Culver Cadet is correct. I only wish I could find a drawing of the WW II PQ-8A instead...

Ryan

RyanShort
09-20-2008, 10:42 AM
The drawing I'm using is of a Culver Cadet. What I'd really like to find would be a drawing of the Culver PQ-8A

http://lh5.ggpht.com/doolittleraiders/SNUm3fCOagI/AAAAAAAAGDs/imXp9NS36KM/s800/Culver01-1.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/doolittleraiders/SNUm3pUOyeI/AAAAAAAAGD0/flDF5Y5PJ7M/s800/Culver3-1.jpg

Even a simple 3-view would be helpful. I've got a fairly good lot of photos.

Ryan

shrike
09-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Neat little machine. We had one at the airport I worked at lo' these many years ago, blue and white emblazoned with 'Airpath Instrument Company' on the side.

Shouldn't be too hard to turn the Cadet into a PQ-8 since the original conversion was a cobble anyway. Enlarged rudder and I believe a touch of extra dihedral to improve stability and control under radio direction. Move the mains back and tack a nosewheel on.

Sakrison
09-29-2008, 06:50 PM
The drawing I'm using is of a Culver Cadet. What I'd really like to find would be a drawing of the Culver PQ-8A
Even a simple 3-view would be helpful. I've got a fairly good lot of photos.
Ryan

Contact Susan Lurvey, ([email protected]) at the Boeing Library at the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, WI. She might have what you need.

No worries,
--David

RyanShort
09-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Ryan

RyanShort
10-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Well, here's a tip for starters - anyone wanting to begin with SU REALLY SHOULD start here: Google SketchUp (http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos.html). For sure watch all of the "New to Google Sketchup" videos - although some of the videos towards the end you could probably skip - for instance cameras and animation stuff.
Next, watch the "Familiar with Sketchup" section - especially Mirror, Inferencing, Accuracy, and Autofold.
Another good resources is: www.aidanchopra.com - Google SketchUp For Dummies (http://www.aidanchopra.com/). I think he does pretty decent tutorials.
Oh - for starters you might want to try a technique here: YouTube - How To Make A Simple Car: Google Sketchup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk5I_tNw7TU) (there are some easier ways to do what he's done but it's a start http://ecardmodels.com/forum/Smileys/default/wink.gif) Or, you could do things like I've been doing them, and creating contours and using a combination of the terrain mapping feature and a plugin called "curve stitcher."
Needful plugins include "curve stitcher" and bezier curves...

Ryan

RyanShort
11-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates but I'm deep in Flight Instructor training right now and don't expect to be doodling for a month or so. Haven't forgotten this.

Ryan

GoddessTiger
12-21-2008, 06:08 PM
I am envious. I can only do boxy designs in Sketchup. I watched all the videos, then tried doing a design along with the video to figure it out. I still got lost and needed a dictionary of terms used. I haven't given up learning yet.

Matthew From Florida
12-22-2008, 09:52 AM
I recently downloaded Google Sketchup. It looks great, but its going to take some time to learn.

RyanShort
12-22-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm still working on the project, but very slowly right now... Still working on the CFI stuff. Earned the Ground Instructor certificate last week.

Ryan

redhorse
12-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Earned the Ground Instructor certificate last week.

Ryan

Congratulations!

willygoat
12-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Congrats Ryan. Your almost there :D

RyanShort
12-24-2008, 09:09 AM
The current madness...

I still have the Cadet in the works, but thought of a new way to do some things and started this as well - just for fun, but also because I figure it's an under-represented aircraft of significance. Am testing how to achieve the best skin results, and also using more components and groups. I've found that I can achieve much more consistent results with the skins if I do not attempt to do the whole half cross-section at a time, but divide it into smaller segments, explode them, group them, and use the smooth tool. Not as hard as it sounds... Another useful tool is when you select an item and left click to use the "intersect with model" feature. Discovered that the drawings I was using weren't quite equal to each other, but I used the cross-sections anyway and tweaked them using the scale function to match the frame I'm using. Works pretty well so far.
FYI so far everything "built" there unwraps just fine with Waybe. This is going to be closer to a Fiddler's Green model than a masterpiece, so I'm trying not to get too worried about minor details.

Ryan

willygoat
12-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I guessing a Saab? It looks awesome no matter what it is :D

rickstef
12-24-2008, 09:32 AM
picture caption tells you what it is

willygoat
12-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Hey, it's Christmas. i'm not that observant. Besides, my brain has been erasaed by thge new Wii. Man, those things are fun :D Oh, and the Mirage was my next guess ;)