PDA

View Full Version : Well, Now It's My Turn To Ask For Prayers...

sgoti
02-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Hey, Ya'll-

I'm one of those types that finds it hard to ask for help, so please bear with me (especially while I vent...)

I'm asking for prayers for my 79-year old mother- This morning, she had sever abdominal cramping, diarrhea, and blood. I called my sister, who came over and in turn called the ambulance (I was outside, shoveling a path to either get the van out or allow the paramedics in).

After getting her to the hospital (and pain meds and IV to rehydrate her), my mom's color and condition were noticeably improved. The doctors have decided that she has colitis, but don't know what is causing it. They are doubting intestinal blockage, so that's a good sign. They are saying she will probably be in the hospital 2-3 days minimum while they run tests, etc.

Now for the vent/rant:

I went to my employer to see what I need to do as far as time off to help my mom (possibly FMLA). I work for a large company that has outsourced almost every dad-blamed thing imaginable. The manager I talked to gave me a toll-free number saying "they are available 24/7" (I finally got home from the hospital and my employer after 11PM tonight).

Called the number given, and went through phone menu you-know-what only to get another number I had to call. Person at that number couldn't help, and "advised" me to call back Monday after 8AM (Sorry, son. We're only here to answer the phones so we can claim to offer 24-hour service). 'Fraid I wasn't too pleasant to them right then...

Thanks a lot, corporate.

I don't want to end this on a sour note, so I'll share this: There are some fantastic people out there. When my sister and I went back to the house to get some of my mom's things, one of the neighbors had completely finished clearing the driveway for us (and all of the sidewalks too). That made me think of all the kindness and support I've witnessed here (and been able to participate in a time or two). I have always felt honored when others have shared their burdens with me and asked for help; I hope you all feel the same way when I return the favor (so to speak).

Please pray that things go well for my mother (and that I can keep from being a jacka**- Obviously my nerves are a bit shot right now).

Thanks for the shoulder, ya'll.

Tim Crowe
02-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Hope your mother gets better soon - You are both in my prayers

Tim

Uyraell
02-05-2012, 02:56 AM
My Family's Prayers for your mother's swift and full recovery, and for yourself and your sister for yourselves as you each support your mom.

Kind and Respectful Regards SGoti, Uyraell.

murphyaa
02-05-2012, 04:03 AM
I'm not very religious, but you're in my thoughts.

jagolden01
02-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Prayers for your mum and family. Hope she is well soon.

rockpaperscissor
02-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Best wishes for her speedy and complete recovery. I'll be thinking of you both.

Scott K
02-05-2012, 03:53 PM
The same thing happened to my Stepmother a few days ago. In her case it's "air pockets and a ruptured diverticula", according to my step-sister. No news since, so I'm assuming all is well...

Anyway, best of Luck to you and your mother as well.

Scott K.

Fishcarver
02-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Sgoti: I have been where you are now!
Sincerely,
Jim

NStarkel
02-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Okay,she's in my prayers.

peter taft
02-05-2012, 06:31 PM
You are in my prayers too !

ct ertz
02-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I will right now. Be well! During times of a loved ones hardship we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves.
CT

Jim Nunn
02-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Glenn,

You and your mom are in our payers and thoughts.

Jim Nunn

spaceagent-9
02-05-2012, 11:46 PM
i pray that all goes well with you,
and please dont feel bad for stressing out in an emergency. it sounds like you are a good son and a consciencious employee.
this world is so much harder than when we were farmers just a hundred years ago.
you have a lot of responsiblilities.
im sure you are on your last nerve. take a hot bath, in hale some good scents, and meditate for 20 minutes.
make a plan, and remember,
that you are being there all you can for your loved ones, and your employers too.
they need to give a little in return.
even though i am in california, i have shoveled snow walks too, and that helped out tremendously and was hard and cold to do.
please dont feel bad about being a good person during this hardship.
and again, my prayers are with you and your family.
i dont pray a lot, im not very good at it, i had to pray today to for help, because i wasnt enough to stop the problems. there wasnt anywhere else to turn to.
so i feel for your pride and frustration too.
but you are doing the right thing,
and im sure that all of us here and there are very proud of you, and even though they are going thru this trial, are appreciative.
jim

John Bowden
02-05-2012, 11:56 PM
AND the dreaded 2012 strikes again............

Hopefully thing will go better with both corporate, and at the hospital.

Keep us updated on both counts........ we'll keep hoping for a speedy recovery!

mbauer
02-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Hoping for the best! Will pray for a speedy recovery.

Mike

southwestforests
02-06-2012, 09:11 AM
You got 'em.
And here's for an understanding employer.

rmks2000
02-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Our prayers are with you as well.

sgoti
02-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I will right now. Be well! During times of a loved ones hardship we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves.
CT

Thanks, all (and CT, thanks for the reminder).

The good news is that the surgeon came by yesterday and said he didn't feel surgery would be necessary, restating what he said Saturday night (he was notified "just in case").

The bad news is that something is still causing severe nausea and cramping. Last night she asked for some pain meds, rating it about a 5/10. This is someone who almost NEVER complains about pain (good hard-working, mid-Western farming stock. Need I say more?).

I know that all of you who have seen a loved one suffer can relate to the helpless feelings in these situations. You want the bad stuff to end immediately, but this ain't TV- It ain't gonna happen after the next commercial break.

Also, you begin to wonder about end of life. I don't think this is the case here, but I am still reminded that death is something we all must face eventually. My grandmother (mom's mom) passed away at 98. The day before she died, she was still sharp enough to repeat one of her pie recipes to one of my cousins and work on some embroidery. She could also get around herself (with a little help). THOSE are the genes I hope my mom (and the rest of my family) has!

On a lighter note, after the surgeon's visit yesterday, my mom wondered if he wasn't checking in so he would know whether or not he could watch the Super Bowl... Obviously her sense of humor is intact, that's always a good thing.

(Geez- Am I really rambling this much?)

From the bottom of our hearts, my family's thanks to all of you.

spaceagent-9
02-07-2012, 10:00 AM
is it possible that an inner ear infection could be causing the nausia and pain ?

StanGolob
02-07-2012, 10:09 AM
The doctors have decided that she has colitis, but don't know what is causing it.

Glenn, wishing all the best and a speedy recovery for your mom. Have the doc's checked for celiac? I suffered for years from severe cramping, nausea and other intestinal issues until I was diagnosed - and all it required was a change in diet.

outersketcher
02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
I wish her a speedy recovery. And don't forget to keep yourself rested as well.

sgoti
02-07-2012, 05:41 PM
MNN* Update:

Things is well!

Last night she was able to rest the most since she went into the hospital. Her pain is mostly gone, and the nausea seems to be gone completely.

She was able to eat (and keep down) a little bit of tapioca pudding last night, and this morning actually had breakfast- some toast and tea (her usual breakfast when at home).

One thing that popped up was some pain and swelling in her left knee, possibly due to an injury from over 25 years ago. Not moving at all caused/allowed fluid to build (we think), which they were going to try and drain this afternoon. they were also going to do some steroid injections. I've heard nothing from my sister yet, so everything must be going ok. (We agreed on morning/evening updates only unless an emergency, just to allow us time to rest/take care of other concerns.)

Ya'll, thank you for the concern and support you've shown, not only to me but to all the others who have asked for it! (directly or indirectly.) It's been humbling and overwhelming. I won't be so naive to suggest we can bring about world peace, but you all have certainly helped to bring some peace to my world.

Thanks again!

(*Mnn= Mom News Network)

sgoti
02-09-2012, 12:10 PM
YEAH!

Well, mom was able to come home yesterday! Right now, she is resting comfortably in her recliner, and her cat is resting comfortably on her.

(Kind of sad- Each morning, while she was still in the hospital, he still went back to her room to get her up. They have a little morning routine that was obviously disrupted by all this.)

Her goal now is to be well enough to go to my nephew's Air Force flight graduation next week in Texas...

Thanks again, all!

Vermin_King
02-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Excellent news. I'm so glad she is home and comfortable, though probably not as glad as the cat...

spgifford
02-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Glad to hear the good news. Keep us posted.

John Bowden
02-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Yea.........:)

Jim Nunn
02-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Very Good News, lets hope she can go to your nephew's flight graduation.

Jim Nunn

sgoti
02-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Very Good News, lets hope she can go to your nephew's flight graduation.

Jim Nunn

As a matter of fact, I just dropped my mom, sister, and bro-in-law at the airport.

My sister was thorough enough to arrange for wheelchair assistance at both ends, so things should go well.

Thanks again, ya'll!