PDA

View Full Version : Rockport motif #1

carlos filipe
02-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Chip Fyn from Fiddlesgreen is offering a model of this red shack.
I like very much Chip's graphic style. A little retro but very charming.
The model is a simplified rendition of the prototype offered in three scales. 1/87, 1/160m and 1/220. I chose the smaller to get that petite look.

carlos filipe
02-05-2012, 06:00 PM
The assembly is straightforward, very little to comment. Just that I cut the tabs and built new ones as I'm using 240gr card.
I'm not following the prototype as a reference. I'll build the model as a generic set in any small fishing village.
Actually although in Maine, it came to mind the Doris Day comedy about a a widow struggling with a railway company that wasn't transporting her lobsters on time. The model comes with a couple of lobster traps. ah! And some very cool seaguls.
Looking for the composition of the diorama I felt the need to double the pier.

carlos filipe
02-05-2012, 06:06 PM
The base is a piece of extruded polistyrene.
I prefer fluid forms for the bases, specially for themes with water. The board was cut with hot wire.

willygoat
02-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Looking great! Can't wait to see that base all finished up.

carlos filipe
02-06-2012, 05:31 AM
Thank you willygoat. I hope i have some developments to post tonight

rockpaperscissor
02-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Very nice. I'm interested to see how you do your water.

ghshinn
02-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Well done. I, too, am a fan of Chip's artistic style. Can't wait to see this finished.

Garland

carlos filipe
02-07-2012, 03:01 AM
The base is defined. Initially I cut the board with sharp curves, but then came to my senses and cut a new contour that would be easy to attach thick cardboard to it.
Gave a thick coat of PVA glue ober the cardboard. It gives texture, protects from moist and some hard handling
Then glued in place the pier (not yet the shack), masked it and made the shore with Das Pronto modeling clay. I even used it as putty to desguise the bad joint of the cardboard band.
With dry weather the clay hardens overnight. So next session will be airbrushing.

I've never heard of Rockport, so I just made a generic idyllic scene with a dirt road leading straight to a stone pier. Doesn't make much sense, but I was looking for a simple composition as I mentioned in the begining.

Don Boose
02-07-2012, 06:57 AM
This is an excellent tutorial and a very pleasing diorama. I really liek the way you have executed and displayed this charming little building.

Don

rockpaperscissor
02-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Rockport MA is a quaint touristy town (horrible parking). Lots of New Englandy flavor about it. There is a flooded rock quarry and lighthouse nearby, right by the ocean - (Halibut Point State Park) - a beautiful spot. Google Rockport Massachussets, Carlos and check out the images of the town and Motif #1

carlos filipe
02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the sugestion rockpaperscisor. Actually I have the habit of checking on Google Earth before starting an architecture model, don´t know I haven't done now. maybe because I just had to build the model. The whole New England range of Fiddlersgreen is very apealling.
Don Boose, to call this a tutorial is very kind. it is just a very simple assembly. maybe different for the medium gel I'll use for water.

After finishing the edge with spray in can, I started airbrushing the terrain and the water. It's a little technicolor, but since I'm using the model (without proper resarch) to represent a generic place I hope it's okay. It is more striking mightbe the colour of the water. It looks like this wahrf is on a very closed bay where salt water mix with fresh water, giving that brownish tone. I'm painting waters as they will look on an open bay to the ocean. At least on this side of the ocean.
The two last photos show the medium gel just applied. It is white as toothpaste. When it starts curing it becomes transparent. It is better applied with a spatula with rounded edges (waves with sharp angles are a little dificult to look realistic...). It can also be smootehd with wet finger tips. The material is acrylic, it can even be smoothed with a soft wet brush.

carlos filipe
02-07-2012, 03:53 PM
I was a little impatient, even tried a new thing: a hairdryer over the gel. It really acelerated the cure and didn't crack.

rockpaperscissor
02-07-2012, 03:56 PM
I thought you might use acryic gel medium. I've used it many times in my military miniature work to simulate water. Really a great product. Your little New England vignette is looking better and better with every photo. Well done!

carlos filipe
02-07-2012, 03:57 PM
When I look at the photos I feel silly with what I have done with the poles. Even if the real pier should b sloped, I think the poles should be straight. Now is too late...

carlos filipe
02-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Motif #1 is integrated in an urban stting so I gather and with parking problems so it seems...
I'm setting th shack at the end of a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. The two trees act as a backdrop.
I just love those cool seaguls. lots of attitude, only missing the shades...

rockpaperscissor
02-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Simply beautiful Carlos. I can almost hear the gulls and smell the salt air. Rockport is a quaint New England village, that has very little in the way of parking lots. The street that runs right along the ocean is the main focus of tourism, and in the summer months, the tourists that flood to the village have to drive up and down street after street, gradually moving away from the ocean, until they find a spot they can squeeze into. If they're really lucky, they'll be only 5 or 6 blocks from the main points of interest.

carlos filipe
02-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi rockpaperscisor:
I got curious and went to Google Earth, it really is a beatiful place. I can understand the dificulty in parking, narrow streets for your standards and a tourist atraction.
Eheheh! Just remembered that once on my way to Italy I asked the driver of the car a detour, so we could go thru Monaco seaside avenue (Promendade des Anglais). We're hoping to find a place to park just for a couple of minutes. No way! And that is the story of my brief staying in Monaco...

I post here some photos of Rockport and Motif #1 I just got from Google Earth

carlos filipe
02-07-2012, 04:38 PM
And an aerial so we have an overall view of the place

Vermin_King
02-07-2012, 07:57 PM
I think your posts are supposed to be at an angle, as you have done them. I think they are to keep boats from rubbing against the stone.

Very nice build. Very interesting how you modeled the water.

Zé Reis
02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi Carlos

Very beautiful model, effective at transmitting the environment that can be seen in real images. Nice water.

Congratulations.

Don Boose
02-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Excellent! I really like this little diorama. It looks like the water is rather choppy today. There must be a strong breeze.

Don

carlos filipe
02-08-2012, 01:30 AM
Hi Vermin King: the purpose of the poles is exactly that, anywhere. But I think I tilted them too much. After checking photo references I noticed they are a littel croocked on Motif #1 pier, but that is the powerful efect of the ocean.
I'm paying hard for not having done my homework beforehand.
And yes, Dan Boose, that's a windy day. The idea came from last saturday trip on a ferry crossing the river Tagus (the river bordering Lisboa).

carlos filipe
02-10-2012, 03:23 PM
The final touches: ladders on the pier side, white foam on the waves and the winches with cables on the masts.

carlos filipe
02-10-2012, 03:28 PM
More photos...
I had the sun on my back and on the model whilst painting the foam. The medium gel shining like the sea on a late afternoon. That gave the idea of trying these shots as if flying low, maybe on a tiny Piper Cub...

carlos filipe
02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Then back to the studio...
I'm shooting under LED lights. I had recently installed some to replace fluorescent lights. Instead of 56W I spend only 16W. The temperature of the light is okay live, but I have the impression that the photos now are slightly cooler. I mean blueish.

Vermin_King
02-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I didn't realize just how small you were building this. Very nice

carlos filipe
02-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Hi Vermin King:
Never used the trick of holding a model in my hand, but there's no doubt it is very eficient. Your comment is proof of that.
Thank you.

Paper Kosmonaut
02-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Hi Carlos, very nice little idyll you made there. Nice and small. I can almost hear the sea lapping against that pier. The colour of the water is bang on.

That acrylic gel stuff indeed is great to use for dioramas. I used it on a Mercury capsule / helicopter pickup diorama (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachments/pasa-paper-aeronautical-space-administration/107053d1320617897-liberty-bell-7-gus-hunt-club-atlantic-1-96-cimg3613.jpg) a while ago. I also like what you used for a base. I seem to be a bit stuck with my habit of using old picture frames as a platform.

carlos filipe
02-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Hi Paper Kosmonaut: I also used picture frames before, but started feeling stuck to the same dimensions. On the other hand I like to accent the verticallity of the frame, as I just sliced a piece of the world and behold to it with no decoration to distract.
Medium gel is a great... medium.
I liked very much your work with the Mercury capsule, I remmeber when you posted it.
Rgds
Carlos

Zathros
02-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Beautiful work, as usual! I also liked seeing your hand in there, it really gives scale. As far as the poles in the water, I live in New England and those poles are all over the place, they are only vertical when they are first put it! A nice slice of life you have there. :)

carlos filipe
02-12-2012, 03:21 AM
Hi Zathros:
So you think that the angle they took is acceptable?
Only when Rockpaperscisors described the place I made the research to find out that some minor changes could have been done. I don't understand how could I start a model without proper research...
Best regards
Carlos

fishshack
03-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Great job I just smell the salt air !!!!

Zathros
03-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Great job I just smell the salt air !!!!

A Tuna fish sandwich, (to eat and smell), a big Conch shell to listen into, and you're there!!:)

OhioMike
03-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Incredible work!! Incredible!! Now its just missing a couple lobster boats!!!

Vermin_King
03-15-2012, 06:09 PM
About the lobster boats, last week there was a blue link on the FG lobster boat that said Free Download Coming Soon. Not any more ...

Got a nice email from Chip saying that the giveaways are allowing him to bring on a programmer due to the increased business. I hope it continues and we can see Carlos bring more of them to life. FG has been around so long, and I wish them all the success in the world.

carlos filipe
03-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Lobster boats...
Actually I also noticed that fiddlersgreen made that offering - and I downloaded! - but too late for this diorama.
Since it also launched for free download the cannery and other items related to a fishing harbor, I guess I'll have to build a new diorama. But where in the hell am I going to find a model of a guy eating a sandwich and listening form a seashell?