PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but I'm stopping building models

ju52man
02-06-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm sorry to vent, but no more building for me. My mom wasted money on a laser printer, which glus doesn't stick to, etc. So no more building. I'll still be on the forums here, and I'll still be designing, but sadly I've stopped building until I can kill this printer and get another inkjet(which i might actually attempt to do)

outersketcher
02-06-2012, 06:12 PM
I build all of my models from laser printed sheets. Give it a shot, you might like it.

ju52man
02-06-2012, 06:12 PM
The problem is Aleen's tacky glue isnt sticking.

jimkrauzlis
02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Wow, I don't understand why laser printed models can't be glued...what glue are you using? What paper do you use to print with this printer?

There's got to be a solution, and I hope you find it.

Cheers!
Jim

DeadlyTedly
02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Try giving the laser prints a coat of UV clear preservative (Krylon) either matte of gloss. Glue will stick to that, and the colors won't fade over time.

outersketcher
02-06-2012, 06:18 PM
oh yeah, that's right, I also spray my laser printed sheets too. And I use Aleen's tacky glue as well. The nice thing about the clear coat is that if you spill, you can just wipe it up with a wet towel without worrying about damaging the printed surface.

spaceagent-9
02-06-2012, 06:26 PM
try a small nozzeled hot glue stick gun from the dollar tree.

pdmccool
02-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Wierd. I use Aleene's on laser printed models all the time with no issues.

Marco
02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Perhaps a different paper type might help? It's an annoying problem though - I once built a Wilhemshavener laser reprint where the ink kept crumbling off, and I nearly gave up on that build.

Isaac
02-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Why not build pre printed kits ? You can purchase them and your life will be complete!

Rise from the dead and build!!!!!!!

So let it be written! So let it be done

Really, get serious

Isaac

willygoat
02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Putting a fixative or sealer over laser prints will help a lot. Without a sealer, the toner tends to flake off. Especially on tightly curved pieces.

Swampfox
02-06-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm sorry to vent, but no more building for me................................................ .... until I can kill this printer and get another inkjet(which i might actually attempt to do)

Why do you have to kill the printer your mom bought? Ever think that maybe she bought it for her use and you get to use it because she lets you!??

I know it might require you earning some money, but get to work and buy your own printer and quit depending on mom to take care of your needs.

I know the economy sucks, at least from what I hear in the news, but get use to it and get on with your life....... and quit yur' whining..............

SFX

ju52man
02-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Why not build pre printed kits ? You can purchase them and your life will be complete!

Rise from the dead and build!!!!!!!

So let it be written! So let it be done

Really, get serious

Isaac

Because I design the models I build, and until there are pre-printed papertigararmaments and ecardmodels kits, sorry, that can't be donw.

I will try a fixative, didnt know about that solution, but still perfer inkjet.

ju52man
02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
And swamp, I'd love to get a job...but until they let under age kids get jobs, not gunna happen

cMags
02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
How old are you? I have been working since 15 (you can get working papers at school), and did odd jobs for neighbors etc. for years before that. I remember one snow day I went out and made $150 in one day shoveling - it was a solid 6 hrs or so of shoveling, but it was half way to a new bike the following spring.

ju52man
02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
As of now, only 13. Need to be 14 to work. And good idea, but up here in New Joizee, we hardly get any snow(I wish we got more)

cMags
02-06-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm sure you can still get a few bucks here and there doing odd jobs, cleaning, taking out trash, cutting grass etc. and you can often find a base model hp or epson printer for around $50.

However with a fixative, laser prints for white parts may be ideal for beta building your designs.

ashevilleangler
02-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Hey only one year to go! I got my first job at 14. I didn't have nearly the incentive that you'll have. Just think of it how many hours will it take to get that first Halinski model? Ah the sweet smell of professional printing etc. Even without the papers you can do the odd job thing for neighbors and maybe even save enough money to buy your favorite ink jet printer! Good luck with the ink costs,...lol

Curt

Inky
02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Just keep your head up, it isn't the end of the world. What happened to your other printer, can you still use it just for your models? I have multiple printers hooked up to my computer, one I use for just models and the other for every thing else. Don't get to down about this, something will work out. Good luck.

ju52man
02-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Thats why my mom switched. The prob is that although i get $40 a month on allowance, where to put the darned thing is another proble.(the printer i mean)

The Orange
02-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Are you sure about the Aleene's not sticking? That stuff is the glue straight from heaven, I'm pretty sure it works with or without fixative.

Now you're lucky, I'm 16 and I don't get any allowance! I have to earn things through good grades :D

ju52man
02-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Well got the prob fixed, so I'm EXTREMELY HAPPY to be back building.Still perfer inkjet, though.

Inky
02-07-2012, 02:12 PM
SEE, told you things would work out. Glad you got the problem worked out, we would hate to loose you.

ju52man
02-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the nice comment, and I'm very happy too. Although the glue doesnt stick well without tabs(which is what im used to :( ) it works well, and since Im not gunna be ripping my models apart, it should work. And my parents said in a few months when we move my computer to another room, they'll get me an inkjet printer for a cheap price :D

jimkrauzlis
02-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Good for you!

Glad you were able to work it out, and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers!
Jim

mchale
02-07-2012, 07:27 PM
heck I use that tacky glue to build my plastic models with

NOBI
02-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Ju52Man, You should try this Epson L100 Inkjet Printer (http://www.epson.co.id/epson_indonesia/printers_and_all_in_ones/inkjet/product.page?product_name=Epson_L100)