PDA

View Full Version : New X-Plane announced! X-56A

piginapoke
02-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I wonder how long it will take for a model to appear. Not much details yet, so let's see.

USAF Reveals Latest X-Plane: X-56A | AVIATION WEEK (http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/asd/2012/02/01/02.xml)

New X-Plane Will Test Light Structures | AVIATION WEEK (http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/awst/2012/02/06/AW_02_06_2012_p28-419827.xml)

Cheers

Robin

mchale
02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
There will be more UFO sighting in and around area 51 now

Texman
02-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Just because it was just announced, does not mean its new. Coming from the skunkworks, I would bet it has been around for awhile now.

billy.leliveld
02-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Nice Robin, thanks for the heads up

Texman
02-07-2012, 11:58 AM
My apologies for neglecting the thank you!!

murphyaa
02-07-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't want to sound negative, but another unmanned flying wing? Wake me up when they develop a new fighter. Preferably with 3 engines in a triangular formation at the rear, and wings in an inverted Y;) :-P

John Bowden
02-07-2012, 02:35 PM
I agree with Murph............ sheez, no one can come up with a new idea these days..............blah, blah, blah, flying wing....... blah, blah, blah, no pilot.............. kinda reminds me of when those guys said that a plane did not need a gun, and missile would kill everything "beyond visiual range"

Yeah right.............

You know if they are letting NASA use it, its been around for awhile........ those guys can not keep anything secret........... way, way too many contract workers and too many press cameras.

Oh........ these are my opinions, please save negative comments until we can meet face to face..........ok? And thanks for the post and link....... I had not seen it yet or just over-looked it.

john

murphyaa
02-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Another negative thought. I have a book on aviation history that was written in 1977. Reading it, I've come to realize that there haven't been any new breakthroughs in flight since then.

Vectored thrust? The Harrier (mentioned in the book)
Fly by wire? F-16 (Also mentioned in the book, though they show the prototype and mention "future orders"

They even mention unmanned flying drones. (Though they call them automated flying vehicles).

Is it just me, or has aviation gotten kinda...boring?

billy.leliveld
02-07-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm with you Aaron, if you count back from 2012 the same number of years from 1977, you end up in 1942, so in that period we had jet-planes, rocket planes, the soundbarier,the space program, flight to the moon, Sr 71's U2's,
And in the last decade we abandoned commercial super-sonic flight and the space-shuttle, ok there was a thingie that went Mach 7, but it got lost...and we are still waiting for mr Branson to get into space...That JSF doesn't seem to be doing what it should, I wouldn't say boring, but different.....:cool:
We need more of these kinda guys;
http://www.nfb.ca/film/defender

HMCS
02-07-2012, 04:04 PM
I dont like to brag,.. but I can sustain over 20g's while playing flight sim!

murphyaa
02-07-2012, 04:57 PM
I've already landed on Mars, twice, in a flight sim. Can't say the same for real life.

I was just thinking back to the movie "Back to the Future 2", Set in 1985 and travelled 30 years into the future, i.e. 2015.

It's now 2012, and still looks like 1985. I'm still waiting for a flying Delorean powered by garbage.

eric_son
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
I've already landed on Mars, twice, in a flight sim. Can't say the same for real life.

I was just thinking back to the movie "Back to the Future 2", Set in 1985 and travelled 30 years into the future, i.e. 2015.

It's now 2012, and still looks like 1985. I'm still waiting for a flying Delorean powered by garbage.

It's already past 1999 and I still don't see anything that remotely resembles moon base alpha. :-)

billy.leliveld
02-08-2012, 03:18 AM
Yeah , and were is a hoover-board , when you need one..

murphyaa
02-08-2012, 04:10 AM
Or a giant 3D shark

SMWulph
02-08-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm sorry to say this guys but everyone (accountants, lawyers and politicians) wants a sure thing the first time every time. SO that means no flying by the seat of your pants, no trying untried ideas and very very limited creativity.
And heaven forbid something goes wrong. Lost money, Whom to blame and Questioning why it was even tried. :P

John Bowden
02-08-2012, 08:12 AM
And heaven forbid something goes wrong. Lost money, Whom to blame and Questioning why it was even tried. :P

You are so right!

What I can not stand is when something happens and the Talking Heads on the news channels start asking "Why didn't this get stopped?" or "why did you let this happen?"

Like they knew it was going to happen........... geez......... if they can tell the future why are they working and not off on some island after winning the lottery!!:mad:

Hind sight is ALWAYS 20/20............ Fore sight ain't happening!
(unless your Nostradomis...... then someone will always figure out your code AFTER things happen)

AND yes I want my flying Jetson's car!!!!!!

HMCS
02-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Yeah , and were is a hoover-board , when you need one..
crud you beat me to it

goodduck
02-08-2012, 10:48 AM
The only really good part of the video is the rebuilding of the Zero, anything else in the video is comedy. Somebody please tell that guy that it is much cheaper to buy a CG program to build his dream Defender in in a computer, test fly it, work out the issues in the pc before he actually wasted five years of his life and money, + five years of his wife, his friend life and money to build something may or may not make end of his redneck life. Are there redneck in Canada? LOL!

spaceagent-9
02-08-2012, 10:50 AM
solar powered flight?
the inversed wings?
superduper sonic inner orbital flight and return?
the space shuttle return glider?
actual flying triangles?
scramjets?

spaceagent-9
02-08-2012, 09:43 PM
heres my shot at one!

spaceagent-9
02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
i hope it serves some purpose!