PDA

View Full Version : Laffly land fort in French camo

ct ertz
02-10-2012, 03:23 PM
OK, i gave up on my Macchi M.5 build for a while because it hurt to do and I am a wimp. I am quite allergic to pain.

I will get back to it (under orders from my wife) but for some reason I decided to pick up on this old project for a while. It is the Laffly Land fort that is in the downloads section but I am attempting to do it in ww1 french trench camo. It may be beyond my skills in Gimp but so far so good. I will post a pic or two when I have something, and if anyone wants to build it let me know.:)
CT

Vermin_King
02-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I can't post pics at moment, but I would love to have a second version in French colors

ct ertz
02-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I have considered a German version as well, as if this thing was ever put in production, the Germans had a tendency to capture and copy stuff. But a camo version is, however, in the works.

CT

cjwalas
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
I'd be thrilled at the chance to build another version. Are you thinking of adding rivets, maybe??????
Chris

ct ertz
02-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Yes. rivets. However, they will be slightly over sized and spaced a bit further then in scale. I have found that scale rivets and scale spacing hardly shows up except as a second dotted line running next to the plate line, and doesn't look good. Also, I am attempting to make the rivets in color, as they would have been painted as well. So green plate will have darker green rivets. We will see how that works.
CT

ct ertz
02-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Here is a little work. I will add another layer with the colored rivets. I hope the color is right.:)

ct ertz
02-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Here is some rivets.:)

cjwalas
02-13-2012, 10:39 AM
I very much like your approach to the rivets! Much better than black dots. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.
Chris

ct ertz
02-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks. I am just trying to keep them looking like rivets, not chicken pox! I also am trying to find the right visual spacing as well.

ct ertz
02-23-2012, 12:10 PM
OK, just about done with page 1. Overall, the colors and rivets look good I think. This was actually harder then making the original model! I am not used to all this layering business. The upshot is that I can save the rivet layer and add it to the Gray or OD model. Anyhow, this was the one that required the most work. If I can stay awake during these last two days of my chemo session 2 then I hope to have a buildable model soon. I just hope all of the camo lines up ok from part to part.

3Turner
02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Yep....layers take some getting used to, but as you mention, it does help with certain layers being moved over to another model.

Good work thus far. I never thought about blending the rivet layer into the color myself.

Wyvern
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Looks like this will a be a beauty with the camo, Corey! Got you in my prayers for your treatments.

Wyvern

ct ertz
02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks Wyvern,
And Robert, i am going on the assumption that this is a "New" built tank and the seams between the plates and the rivets would be well coated with paint. On a weathered model I suspect that on some rivets the paint would get scraped off if the rivet head was raised at all. Anyhow, this seamed a good way to tone down the rivets at this scale.
CT

ct ertz
02-27-2012, 06:29 AM
I got the first parts page done and now need to do the second page. All comments are welcomed! If you see something that is not quite right let me know.
CT

cjwalas
02-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Looks great! I think the rivet work is fantastic.
Chris

ct ertz
02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks! With luck I ill be able to shoot this over to you today if you still want to build it. I fixed the reversed door on this on too. I am going to do a German war prize as well.
CT

jmr248
02-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Morning CT. Hope you are feeling well. Take care.
Joe