PDA

View Full Version : the mess we call the download area.

jleslie48
02-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Is the anyway I can get a complete list of every model in the download area, in chronological order of when it was posted?

Is there anyway that when a model is posted in the download area there is a a thread that gets updated with the announcement of the new model?

I mean just one place I can find out everything available in the download area without having to manually search through all the links?

rickstef
02-11-2012, 08:27 PM
On the left hand side of the main download page, there is a box listing the last 10 uploaded files.

An announcement can be made, are you volunteering to help post that?
There are weeks where we get quite a few models uploaded, and then there are weeks with no models.

I will ask Jason and Chris about the list, they know more about the back end stuff than I do.

jleslie48
02-11-2012, 08:39 PM
On the left hand side of the main download page, there is a box listing the last 10 uploaded files.

An announcement can be made, are you volunteering to help post that?
There are weeks where we get quite a few models uploaded, and then there are weeks with no models.

I will ask Jason and Chris about the list, they know more about the back end stuff than I do.

If I get an email everytime a model is posted to the downloads area, I will make a thread that is updated with the announcement.

If I get a list of all the files in the download area I will also post that in the thread. I will even go so far as to maintain a list as a ^F searchable html page maintained on the egiftshop so you can actually search for a file and not be restricted to strings that are more than 3 characters.

bf109
02-12-2012, 03:48 AM
and a thumbnail to every uploaded model would be nice to :)

Vermin_King
02-12-2012, 08:52 AM
thumbnail and who posted it without having to click on the link to find out.

and file type. knowing whether the file is pdo, pdf or jpg up front would be wonderful.

3Turner
02-12-2012, 09:15 AM
The thumbnail and file type is typcally supplied by the uploader. Mention of the file type would be in the description area. As for who posted the file without actually clicking into the download page of the file, Jason, Chris or Rick will have to look at forum settings to see if thats an available option to include in the main listing page. There may even be a setting to list the file type.

jleslie48
02-12-2012, 10:53 AM
The thumbnail and file type is typcally supplied by the uploader. Mention of the file type would be in the description area. As for who posted the file without actually clicking into the download page of the file, Jason, Chris or Rick will have to look at forum settings to see if thats an available option to include in the main listing page. There may even be a setting to list the file type.

I find it hard t believe there isn't an "announcement" setting that when a file is posted, there isn't an automatic post to the forum. It would be great to just use the current forum search facility to search for "file uploaded to papermodelers" (and the search not barf on the word "to" )

Spar
02-12-2012, 11:34 AM
First, I want to say thanks to Rickstef and the others for making the sub-catagories in the aviation and sci-fi downloads. It's a lot easier to find things now.

As for the posting of new downloads, most designers like Dave and CT usually post a thread when they put something there (thanks guys!). I'm sure if you pm the designers they would be happy to do it too.

3Turner
02-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I find it hard t believe there isn't an "announcement" setting that when a file is posted, there isn't an automatic post to the forum. It would be great to just use the current forum search facility to search for "file uploaded to papermodelers" (and the search not barf on the word "to" )
That would be something handy, but again, it would be up to Jason, Chris and/or Rick to take a look at the settings for the forum software and see if there is something to that nature or similar. ;)

jleslie48
02-12-2012, 03:23 PM
First, I want to say thanks to Rickstef and the others for making the sub-catagories in the aviation and sci-fi downloads. It's a lot easier to find things now.

As for the posting of new downloads, most designers like Dave and CT usually post a thread when they put something there (thanks guys!). I'm sure if you pm the designers they would be happy to do it too.

Yes I'm very thankful to rickstef and all the moderators for their work on this website. I do not mean to imply that their work is not totally appreciated. I am just trying to point out some things that I think have been overlooked.

Quite frankly I dislike the sub-categories, its just more things I have to look through. That is what a search engine is for. If the categories and sub categories were simply in the listing, category: download, sci-fi, star trek, space ) All I would have to do is search for "download" "sci-fi" and get that sub-category, but still not have things compartmentalized to the point of frustration.

The posting of the thread is good, but since ALL of the downloads are not posted, its not of much use. Also since the posts are individual threads, there is still no way to search for ALL of the listings in the download area from the individual posts. If there was a single thread that was exclusively for announcing models in the download area, that would work.

Retired_for_now
02-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Jon,
There is a separate search function in the download section. It's on the navigation bar just above the categories. It looks at keywords (if the uploader set them) and seems to look through the text as well.
Is that any help - or just covering something you already looked at.
Yogi

OhioMike
02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
It would be simpler to either make the latest downloads part larger than just the last 10 downloads or make it so if anyone wants to download they have to announce it in some sub forum somewhere???

jleslie48
02-24-2012, 05:10 PM
It would be simpler to either make the latest downloads part larger than just the last 10 downloads or make it so if anyone wants to download they have to announce it in some sub forum somewhere???

Make that list 100 would be perfect.