View Full Version : Oddball-o-rama! Dodge D-100 Paramedic Truck

ct ertz
02-14-2012, 02:49 PM
"Rampart, this is squad 51, over."
"Squad 51, this is Rampart, over."
"Rampart, we have one victim here of apparent model shock overload, over."
"51, start IV with Ringer's Lactate and prepare for transport, over"
Roger, Rampart. Ringers lactate, readying for transport."

Oh boy. I think I saw all six years of this show on TV Land. I am a big fan. So I was so excited to download the Oddball Dodge D-100 Paramedic truck and see that it was the Squad 51 model! Too cool!

Looking it over I should be able to hand the build OK even with my left arm still giving me issues. The parts are rather large, 33 of them on 3 pages, and they all seam to be the typical tab construction method. Although I will be building this kit as is, I can see many areas that cry out for detailing. Such as darken bluish plastic for the windows and even LED lighting for the lights. You could really do a lot with this model!

The one alteration I am going to do is add foil to the mirrors. The fold over nature of the parts make this real easy and I think will add a bit to the kit.

I am excited about this, and I thank you Aaron for this FREE kit. I will also be building the P38 Lightning, a five page kit that seams really nice in it's own right, but this truck just calls to me! It will be first.:)

jagolden01
02-14-2012, 02:57 PM
You make me feel old, CT. I saw all six seasons in first-run!

murphyaa
02-14-2012, 03:01 PM
This is an old one. I actually did the design back in '04 or '05.

pdmccool
02-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Where can it be had?

ct ertz
02-14-2012, 05:26 PM
You can get it here! Dodge D-100 Paramedic Truck Paper Model - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and crafts for (http://ecardmodels.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=128&products_id=2345)

Now I have to locate the fire truck next!

CT

murphyaa
02-14-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm still working on that one. I can't find good reference material for it. Even the local fire museum doesn't have one.

Hey guys, Don't buy the A-10. It slipped by without a beta build, and has some serious issues. I'm gonna have to build it myself after getting some ink so I can fix it.

pdmccool
02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
For which one, Aaron? The Squad 51 truck?

murphyaa
02-14-2012, 08:09 PM
The Crown Firecoach (The open topped engine used in the first 3 seasons.

I found a 3-view once of the Ward Lafrance, but it got lost in the shuffle somewhere.

ct ertz
02-14-2012, 09:05 PM
OK, got my kit all printed and I am reviewing it before starting. It seams that one front fender well may be backwards but it might be me. No biggie to fix if it is.

I have been comparing the model to the restored original in the museum and I am quite pleased. Aaron cut a good line between detail and ease of build, and the details are spot on. Even the tag number is correct! I haven't found any shots of the air tanks and fire extinguisher yet but they seem logically placed in the model. As stated, I will foil the mirrors. The only other detail I may add is the two eye bolts on the rear bumper, if I can find an exceptionable gauge of wire.

After this build I may try again with photo paper for some gloss. The yellow from my printer seems a bit faded and the chrome parts of coarse come out gray but it still looks great.

Printed and reviewed. Tomorrow I will cut and glue! My wife just got her new camera and if I can figure out how to work the thing I will post som pics along the way!.

CT

murphyaa
02-14-2012, 09:56 PM
I watched many an episode while working on that model.

Loui
02-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Hey guys, Don't buy the A-10. It slipped by without a beta build, and has some serious issues. I'm gonna have to build it myself after getting some ink so I can fix it. .... !!! I did. yesterday but Not download yet... :) i just have to wait, No problem.

airdave
02-15-2012, 08:11 AM
.... !!! I did. yesterday but Not download yet... :) i just have to wait, No problem.

Just noticed this post, so I figured I better say something.

I have already tried to build Aaron's A10.
(In fact, I think I may be able to finish it soon)

Nice looking model...but yes, it has a few issues.
Nothing that Murph can't fix however
...and when he does, this will be a fine little kit!
I already sent him a report on what I found and didn't like with the model,
and hopefully I wasn't too mean about it.

Keep up the great design work Aaron!

And I apologize for the sidetrack Cory.

Loui
02-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks Airdave for the info, i really appreciate it.....
and apologize for disturbing your thread here Ct... Sorry

pdmccool
02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
My kids have been watching "Emergency" lately on Netflix, so my son was really jazzed when I printed this off for him last night.

ct ertz
02-15-2012, 01:56 PM
It is going to be a cool model and with those larger parts I hope I can handle it!

No worries on the thread guys, I haven't started building yet anyhow, no pictures yet. Today I begin!

CT

ct ertz
02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
With the lid to my CSA Macon Arsenal rifle ball cartridge box sitting on my lap as a work table i was able to make some first cuts. The cutting mat fits nicely between the wood runners on the lid and those same runners keep my edge coloring markers, glue and craft knife from rolling away!

I got the oxygen tank box done. An easy start, to see if my set up would works. it does. Also, the runners are high enough so I can set my lap top over my work so I do not need to keep switching everything out. Pretty cool.

I will get a few more items done and then get some photos of the progress.

CT

murphyaa
02-15-2012, 05:58 PM
This should be cool. I lost my model of it years ago.

I wonder whatever happened to that repaint of the FG Huey into Copter 14...

ct ertz
02-15-2012, 06:34 PM
I got the cargo bay done as well as the tool box, and front bumper. No issues. I am working on the fire extinguisher now. I will add a hose and nozzle I think. I really hate these flower peddle style cone ends. But it's working. I also found some silver eye bolts for the back bumper (ear ring blanks for bead work!) I will get pictures when my wif gets home. The progress is slow but steady!

murphyaa
02-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Sorry, that was back in my flower petal days. I'm much less flowery now.

ct ertz
02-16-2012, 06:07 AM
Disaster! My excited 8 year old came running into the room when he got home from kids Bible study last night and wiped out, falling right on to my work. He managed to avoid the glue and knife, a good thing, but crushed up my cargo bay with tool box, tanks, and fire extinguisher. Oh he felt bad, so I had to deal with a sad 8 year old with out blowing my top. When that had passed, I got to looking at the carnage. It just may be salvageable. I will see how it looks when I get it fixed up and installed into the cargo box of the truck...

CT

cgutzmer
02-16-2012, 06:26 AM
oh man! rescue truck needs a rescue truck ;) glad he missed the knife!

Vermin_King
02-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Was there ever an episode where the truck was in a collision?

murphyaa
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Nope. Roy and Johnny got the old squad though 7 years without a scratch. Then in the final season, somebody dropped an airplane on it (in a made for TV movie called "Survival on Charter 220").

ct ertz
02-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Quick update. Still trying to figure out that camera. I salvaged the cargo bay and parts and finished the back end. All parts fit well, however at this larger scale the over all model is a bit week. I think this would be a great model at about 3/4 of it's current scale. There are no internal formers. The construction is all fold and tabs, straight forward. My only problem is that some of the main parts are big with many folds and tabs. Takes a good eye to keep it all straight.

So far so good!

CT

cgutzmer
02-18-2012, 08:49 AM
figure out the camera??? what you got some kind of 1800's camera? :P cant wait to see some pics!

ct ertz
03-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Wow, I thought I could have been done by now! Any one know a good why to make wheels? They are the only thing left and my wheel making skils suck. I can fake it at 1/72 scale but this larger scale they will actually have to be mostly round!

My wife will take the pictures! She knows how to work the thing. No Chris, its a modern thingy. If it were from the 1800s I might actually know how to work it!

Racing the clock!
CT

Texman
03-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Corey,

If you check this post, http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/14687-1-87-pta-mt-lb.html#post223249
this is how I did the roadwheels on the MT-LB. This might be the shortcut your looking for.
I wish I could remember who originally showed this tip, but it worked great.

You basically coil up a length of stock, put it inside the tread strip,
let it unwind, add a little glue to stick it in postion, then add your round side wheel/tire pieces.