PDA

View Full Version : Functioning Cockpit Canopies for the Buck Rogers Thunder Fighter

Rhaven Blaack
03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
After finishing the Buck Rogers Thunder Fighter in Stealth paint scheme, I decided to make this tutorial on how to make a cockpit canopy that will open and close.
I will be making three canopies (the first one will be NON-CANON and the other two will be CANON).

I am sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but I do not have access to a good camera right now, so I am using my phones camera.

These are the parts that I used; Parts sheet with the canopy parts, 6 strips that are 5mm X 20mm, 8 strips that are 5mm X 10mm, and two sewing pins cut to 20mm.

Gluing the strips to the pin to form the hinge.

After finishing this one, you need to make one more just like it.

I attached the long strips to the hinge plates.

Attaching the second hinge to the long strip

After you have finished attaching the second hinge, attach the longer strips to the hinge plates. You now have a double hinge.

These are the pieces of the front part of the canopy

Front piece assembled and put into place.

Front hatch assembled and double hinge attached.

Center piece is attached to the center part of the double hinge. This piece will be secured to the plane after the last back piece is in place.

Back hatch is attached to the back end of the double hinge.

Rear part of the canopy is assembled.

I have attached the rear canopy part in place.

The main part of the canopy is now in place.

Here is a side view of the canopy in place.

Hatches are open.

ENJOY!!!

SJPONeill
03-16-2012, 02:55 PM
You're a legend!!

Rhaven Blaack
03-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Here is the "sliding canopy". I had originally planned on having the hatched just sitting in place to give the appearance of "sliding", but decided to go ahead and make an actual sliding system.
I know that this is not one of my better works, but this is only a "proof of concept". Had I built the entire model from the beginning (with this in mind), I would have done things a bit differently.
I am modifying a TF that I made for a test build of the cockpit interior for this project.

Front canopy piece assembled

Front canopy piece in place.

Rear canopy piece.

Rear canopy piece in place.

Front canopy hatch. As you can see, I used pieces of tooth picks for the slide posts. (This was done for both front and rear hatch)

Side view of front canopy hatch.

Rear canopy hatch

Center piece in place. slide rails cut on either side of cockpit interior.

Front and rear canopy hatches in place.

Canopy hatches open.

I realized that after I had finished this build, I should have started with the rear canopy piece and worked my way forward. That way everything would have fit better and tighter.
OH well, you live and you learn.

ENJOY!!!

Rhaven Blaack
03-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Here is the QUAD canopy. In this segment, I made a different hinge system for the hatches. Instead of using a pin for the hinge, I used scotch (clear) tape and sticky labels (as you will see in the photos).
I got the idea from Silveroxide, when he was talking about out to glue clear plastic on to paper to stick together with out clouding the plastic.

This type of hinge can also be used for the two seat canopy as well.

Part sheet (You will want at least three copies for laminating all of the parts)

I took Scotch (clear) tape folded it onto itself. Next to it is a sticky label.

I cut the tape into a strip (40mm X 6mm) and the sticky labels into strips (40mm X 2mm).

I applied the sticky label strips to the tape (on both sides) to make a double hinge.

I cut out and assembled all of the canopy parts (keeping the hatches separate).

I attached the hinge to the underside of the center rail.

Here I have attached the hatches to the hinges.

I double laminated the whole canopy for added strength and rigidity.

I attached the canopy to the plane, with hatches open.

ENJOY!!!

Uyraell
03-16-2012, 07:37 PM
It is an incredible amount of very fine work, for a more than excellent result, Rhaven Blaack. :)
Truly a joy to see such skilled and fine work.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.

Rhaven Blaack
03-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Thank you for the kind words and compliments.

mldixon
03-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Really nice work. This is the kind of detail that makes this such a interesting Hobby, keep thinking outside the box. :)

Rhaven Blaack
03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Thank you for the compliments.
I will continue to do so.

rmks2000
03-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Great tips. Thank you.

Rhaven Blaack
03-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Great tips. Thank you.

You are more then welcome.

I look forward to seeing some of your work.

John Marshall
10-03-2013, 06:49 PM
the cockpit on the thunder fighter does not open like that up and down it opens by sliding to the front to back

Rhaven Blaack
10-03-2013, 11:01 PM
the cockpit on the thunder fighter does not open like that up and down it opens by sliding to the front to back

I know that the cockpit of the Thunder Fighter opens by sliding front to back.
This tutorial was more for showing different techniques on how to make a functioning cockpit canopy. I was more using the Thunder Fighter as a base model.
Although, if you had noticed, I did mention that the hinge for the two (single) seat canopy that I mad with a hinge is not canon. Not only that, but I did make a sliding canopy as well.
I also tackled the QUAD canopy as well (and those are hinged).

If you have another technique for making the canopy slide, I would REALLY see it.
I am always looking for new ideas and ways to improve my skills and builds.

eagleclaw4935
10-04-2013, 07:20 AM
The sliding canopy was more in line with the TV show.Thats the way I will go with this.Fantastic work.Thank you so much.

Rhaven Blaack
10-04-2013, 07:30 AM
The sliding canopy was more in line with the TV show.Thats the way I will go with this.Fantastic work.Thank you so much.

GREAT!!! I look forward to seeing your build!!!
I wish you the best of luck with it!!!

ole dog
10-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Hey Rhaven Blaack, great innovative work and the phone camera pictures are amazing. John, surly some renegade space raider got his hands on an old thunder fighter and modified the damaged sliding canopy to a hinged version don't you think. After all variety is the spice of life.

HMCS
10-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Awesome,.. Where are the buck Rogers files located again?

Rubenandres77
10-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Awesome,.. Where are the buck Rogers files located again?

I think it is from here: Buck Rogers Thunderfighter - Modellbaubogen (http://www.paperaviation.de/Thunderfighter/thunderfighter.html)

And Rhaaven's functioning cockpit is a nice addition to it. It's a nice take on the problem of having the cockpit open. In paper modelling we all know making movable parts is not easy, and results can vary from good to disastrous. His contribution is much more constructive to the hobby than just complaining about what system the hatch used to open.

HMCS
10-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Awesome! Thanks! And yes I agree,.. I was trying to figure out a way to say what you said,.. Well put!

sgoti
10-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Really nice work. This is the kind of detail that makes this such a interesting Hobby, keep thinking outside the box. :)

Hmm...

Thinking outside the box, then using the box for parts! :eek:

Nice job, sir! Are you going to try a sliding canopy for the UHU0s Mk II Viper?

Rhaven Blaack
10-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Thank you all for the compliments and the kind words of encouragement!

For those of you who are interested in another sliding canopy technique that I came up with, you can check out this thread: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/20305-detailed-thunder-fighter-project-5.html
Start with post number 43 to see how I made it.

Just to let everyone know, I have also redesigned the cockpit interior (that is a bit more canon). Revell-Fan is going to clean-up and revise the kit. Once it is released (on PaperAviation - Faszination Kartonmodellbau (http://www.paperaviation.de)), Everyone will be able to make a more canon model.

Wad Cutter
10-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Very nice craftsmanship on the build of these canopies. I will keep these ideas in mind on other builds I might come up on. Thank you very much for taking the time for the instructions. This will be very helpful. Thanks again. wc

Rhaven Blaack
10-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Thank you for the kind words.
You (as well as anyone else) are more the welcome to use what ever technique that I have posted for any of your builds.

I look forward to seeing your work!!!

VinceM
10-08-2013, 06:03 PM

John, you are aware the Thunder Fighter is fictional, right? Just like the Millenium Falcon, the Starship Enterprise, and, supposedly, the Battlestar Galactica. Now, if Rhaven had tried to depict, say, the Space Shuttle Atlantis with a pop-open cockpit windshield, I'd take issue with it. But as it is, I say Rhaven, thanks for once again sharing your talent.
BTW, if anyone does have a sliding canopy, I'd also love to see how it works.

Rhaven Blaack
10-09-2013, 02:07 AM
John, you are aware the Thunder Fighter is fictional, right? Just like the Millenium Falcon, the Starship Enterprise, and, supposedly, the Battlestar Galactica. Now, if Rhaven had tried to depict, say, the Space Shuttle Atlantis with a pop-open cockpit windshield, I'd take issue with it. But as it is, I say Rhaven, thanks for once again sharing your talent.
BTW, if anyone does have a sliding canopy, I'd also love to see how it works.

Thank you for the kind words Vince.
As for a sliding canopy; There is one style in this tutorial thread as well as one style that I cam up with can be found here as well: Detailed Thunder Fighter Project (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/20305-detailed-thunder-fighter-project-5.html)

I would like to see others come up with their own versions as well.
I am always interested in learning new techniques!!!

The Thunder Fighter is one of my favorite fighters. The basic design lends itself to so many variations and configurations.

So by all means, please build this WONDERFUL plane. I would like to see what other builders come up with.

HMCS
10-09-2013, 06:38 AM
Okay I think you inspired me!! Once I am done my project,.. I think I am going to try this one,.. But make it larger!! So I can have recessed panel lines!! Maybe some thing like 18 inches long

Rhaven Blaack
10-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Okay I think you inspired me!! Once I am done my project,.. I think I am going to try this one,.. But make it larger!! So I can have recessed panel lines!! Maybe some thing like 18 inches long

18 INCHES LONG??? :eek: That would be (about) half again larger then the original model (which is about 11 3/4 inches long).
THAT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE!!!
I hope that you will post a build thread. If you do, I will follow it thoroughly.

I wish you the best of luck with it!!!

HMCS
10-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Awesome! I will most certainly need your help!!

Rhaven Blaack
10-09-2013, 07:04 AM
Awesome! I will most certainly need your help!!

Well, you most certainly have it.
You can use this thread as well as this one: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/20305-detailed-thunder-fighter-project.html to help you with ideas as well as tricky parts. I am willing to answer any questions that you have about anything that I have done or any techniques that I have used.

Once again, good luck with your build!!!

HMCS
10-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Sweet! Thanks!,.. I may do a test this weekend!!!

clif52
10-09-2013, 02:59 PM
COOL idea for the 18" version. I'd love to build one of those to hang in my art studio.
Clif

HMCS
10-09-2013, 04:38 PM
COOL idea for the 18" version. I'd love to build one of those to hang in my art studio.
Clif

My thoughts exactly! Although my youngest son will probably claim it :)

kingjason14
10-10-2013, 12:02 AM
HMCS, I built my second Thunderfighter in 1:18. The original Martin Sänger model is 1:32. I just estimated the finished build at about 21 inches. And no, the canopies do not open, that is for the next TF build.

HMCS
10-10-2013, 04:42 AM
Excellent!! My Achilles heel will be the cone shapes,... If anyone had the action figures from the 80's they would most likely fit in there

Rhaven Blaack
10-10-2013, 04:54 AM
Excellent!! My Achilles heel will be the cone shapes,... If anyone had the action figures from the 80's they would most likely fit in there
The best way that I have found to "ROLL" the cones, is to take a foam "old school" mouse pad (the kind that you can get at Wal-Mart for really cheep), put the part face down on the pad and either use a thin knitting needle or a chop stick to carefully roll the cone. Another thing that you can use, is the rounded side of a wooden ruler and (carefully) slide the rounded edge over the part to form the cone.

Either way you go, I wish you the best of luck with it.

HMCS
10-10-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm going to have to try that,.. I always get a peak where the joint meets up,.. This may be an opportunity for me to try my tube technique only this time have it tapered

southwestforests
11-01-2013, 04:30 PM
There is definitely some talent and skill in this outfit.
Cool.