PDA

View Full Version : USS Alexandria Bayou Gunboat

sporticus
04-05-2012, 02:44 AM
Hi. I've got a quick question. I'm just about to make this model. I was wondering about then anchor davit and mast on the bow. Would they have been offset from centre to allow the gun to fire straight forward? Or would they have been easily removable? I note that the build picture has them replaced with bollards. I suppose the gun could have been offset instead? Just wondering what you thought?

I apologise if I've posted this in the wrong forum area!!

Hudsonduster
04-05-2012, 03:36 AM
Hi Sport--blame me for the build picture!

I did this model a while back and discussed that issue in the build thread, found HERE (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ct-ertzs-projects/17708-uss-alexandria-beta-build.html).

'Duster

ct ertz
04-05-2012, 05:18 AM
Hudsonduster did that wonderful build and the thread is worth a read. Almost all of the Civil War era gun boats changed their deck clutter constantly over time. The mast and anchor davit may have been removable (certainly the davit was) however, the cannon was likely on center line. To get a shot off foreward the boat would of had to angle it's coarse slightly. Anyhow, see what you think after reading that thread.
CT

lepercan
04-05-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm preaching to the choir here, I know, but the staff at the point of the bow was the jack staff which helped the helmsman stay on course. They normally weren't moved.

sporticus
04-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Hmm. Thanks for that and the link to the build. I suppose that they probably did just steer off course slightly to get a clear shot. Kinda makes sense.
Thanks again for the reply and keep the models coming! I love the little steamers etc Much as I like the 'ram' type vessels, these little gunboats are great fun to build and very useful for us wargamers,

Hudsonduster
04-05-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm preaching to the choir here, I know, but the staff at the point of the bow was the jack staff which helped the helmsman stay on course. They normally weren't moved.

AH! I'm a Merchant Sail guy, and did not know that! But, still, look around at photographs from The Day and you'll frequently see a dearth of forward clutter: there may be other procedures in place for these vessels, but I don't know how that would be accomplished here with the foreward-posited pilothouse.
("Pilothouse," you say? More like "Pilotkiosk!!")

I'd like to collect some documentation on this and share it--but the irascible knowitall I'd normally get the stuff from had the poor manners of shuffling off his mortal coil a couple months ago. I may just decide to not forgive him.

'Duster