PDA

View Full Version : Three years in the making...PaperModelers.com!

Jason
07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
While I have held back and not posted about the recent events over at CardModels.net or why I started the site you see before you, I think it is about time that I chime in. I guess I will start with why I decided to start this site, since a lot of people have mentioned that the timing could not have been better due to the recent problems over at the CardModels.net forum. While the launch of the Paper Modelers site did correspond with the merger of the Card Models forum into the Zealot forum, it was not in response to the problems encountered with the merger. As some of you know, I have been trying to acquire the Card Models forum for the last three years since even before Peter owned the site. I have also tried to acquire other card related sites like the Card Model FAQ and more recently CardModelers.org with the goal of creating a portal for the paper model hobbyist. Each site had something to contribute towards the portal I was envisioning. It was in discussing my ideas with the senior member of CardModelers.org that I was recently able to formalize my ideas for the portal.

It was shortly after learning that Saul was not interested in selling the cardmodelers.org website that CardModels.net went offline. I emailed Peter to see if he would be interested in selling the forum as I had a pretty good idea what was happening with the site. Peter and I have talked a couple of time since he purchased the Card Model forum and I have a great respect for Peter. Peter is a true internet entrepreneur who makes his living on the net. I have followed his many posts on sites like sitepoint.com as well as on his personal bog at www.petertdavis.net (http://www.petertdavis.net/) over the last couple years. I would have preferred to have purchased the Card Models forum as a corner stone to our portal but things do not always turn out as we would like and with the merging of the forum into the Zealot forum, I realized that Peter would not be able to separate the forum out again. It was at that point that I figured I should stop trying to purchase a site and start working on building out my idea for a paper model portal if I was ever going to get it off the ground. Hence the site you see before you.

While I might not agree with the decision to merge the Card Models forum into the Zealot hobby forum that does not mean that I hold any ill will towards Peter or the forum. Peter is working towards building his vision of a hobby related site that is home to many different types of hobbies. He purchased the CardModels.net forum and has been paying the bills, so if he decides to merge it with his Zealot hobby forum it is his right. It is his vision after all.

As we grow, I would like the direction this site takes to be directed, not by the Admin or moderators, but by our members. Since the ultimate goal of a forum is to promote that which the forum is about, we need to focus on our hobby and to expose as many people to it as possible. To that effect, I have built a dedicated site geared towards the paper modeler, while Peter has decided to create a hobby related forum where Card Models is just one hobby the forum covers. The one thing both sites have in common is that they will help to expose new people to a hobby we love and for that we should be excited.

Sincerely,
Jason

John Bowden
07-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Cool! Thanks!

john

Clashster
07-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the history, Jason! I have much respect for Peter, but his vision and mine parted ways.... I look forward to the development of this site, and hope to contribute something to it!

Paper-toys
07-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks, and i hope your vision LIVES LONG AND PROSPERS!

maurice
07-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Jason

I am a competent Googler so I am not in the least suprised by much of what you have explained. Personally I feel that a hobby is best served by it's practitioners so I favour your approach. (But not everything necessarily needs to be assimilated and archived in a single place, that can be a good way to create fossils.:))

In effect you are picking up where Cardmodels.net unfortunately faltered. Now Cardmodels.net was originally founded with, amongst other things, a determination that there would be none of the banning and blocking that was occuring on other forums. I hope that you will choose to pick up on that element and be tolerant. I think experience has shown that the membership can establish standards for behaviour and to some extent enforce those standards for itself.

The timing may have been fortuitous but even so it was excellent.

Thank you
Maurice

Golden Bear
07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Jason. That is a really clear statement and helps make my own goals clearer. The WWW is an interesting place and I respect folks that try to live there!

Carl

Ekuth
07-23-2007, 08:12 PM
As we grow, I would like the direction this site takes to be directed, not by the Admin or moderators, but by our members. Since the ultimate goal of a forum is to promote that which the forum is about, we need to focus on our hobby and to expose as many people to it as possible. To that effect, I have built a dedicated site geared towards the paper modeler, while Peter has decided to create a hobby related forum where Card Models is just one hobby the forum covers. The one thing both sites have in common is that they will help to expose new people to a hobby we love and for that we should be excited.

Here, Here!
Eloquently stated.

cgutzmer
07-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Very well put, thanks Jason :D
Chris

Fozzy The Bear
07-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the clarification Jason.... and it seems (as of today) that over 200 new members agree with your vision. This has got to be something of a record in terms of any forum developing into a fully fledged community. Long may it last.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Paperbeam
07-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Very well stated with tact, grace, and elequence Jason. :cool:

P.s. For the body of the text in the post, are we allowed to have it say at around 3 or 4? My eyesight's never been the best.

Thanks for everything.

Terry

N and Z scale Old West paper models at: http://www.paperbeam.com (http://www.paperbeam.com)

rickstef
07-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Terry, if you are using IE 7, you can increase the zoom of the page, bottom right hand corner, there is a magnifier glass, with a plus sign in it, and 100% next to it, you can click on it, and set your own comfortable viewing size.

Rick

Scott K
07-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Thank you Jason. I appreciate the enlightnening (for me, anyway) information. Many points I'd never considered before.

Scott K.

Paperbeam
07-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Rick - thanks for the tip, but I'm using IE6 (there have been some issues with IE7).

I did find a text size adjuster under "View" and made it the largest size, but it doesn't seem to work with this forum.

Oh well...maybe I'll have to get one of those wearable magnifiers!:D

Terry

ChienChengWei
07-24-2007, 03:11 AM
I thought lot of us finally found the Promised Land. :)

See, people participate in and feel like home,
Jason really made a very correct decision.

I go back to forum to check if there's unread post many times a day,
because I just don't want to miss a thing even a moment.

rlwhitt
07-24-2007, 06:13 AM
Jason,

Thank you so much for your effort and your vision. I think it fits the mindset of most of the card modelers I've "met" over the last year and I think you'll find this site will take off and be a huge success. In just a few days here, it already feels like a comfortable old shoe, if you will, and that's saying a lot. Congratulations!

Rick

Kaz
07-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the headsup on this, I have wondered what was going on, and now its all becoming clear.

dansls1
07-24-2007, 06:48 AM
It's nice to have place that focuses on your specific interests where you can interact with others focused on the same interest. Thanks for sharing your vision and your work to provide that place for the card modelers ;)

Phil
07-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Jason, I just wanted to thank you and congratulate you for a site well built.
I can't even imagine all the work you put into this, I remember when you started the card models directory ( I may need to update my links) and I was grateful you did so. Thousands of models to keep track of!
All my best!

Frank Kelle
07-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Rick - thanks for the tip, but I'm using IE6 (there have been some issues with IE7).

I did find a text size adjuster under "View" and made it the largest size, but it doesn't seem to work with this forum.

Oh well...maybe I'll have to get one of those wearable magnifiers!:D

Terry

Terry - only a small suggestion: try to change your browser to Mozilla Firefox or something else free available! I am using firefox now for app. 1 year with NO problems, the IE made me... not only what the firefox is more secure, it is much more comfortable!
Frank

milenio3
07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
This site is great. Greatest thing is to see many familiar avatars around here, and that we can still propagate Paper Modeling in a friendly manner.

I thought... 2 paper models forums? Who cares? Germans have 3 or 4 (if not more), and our polish friends have also 3 or 4 (again, if I', not mistaken).

Now, let's cut some paper!!!

Jason
07-25-2007, 12:24 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their support and words of encouragement. It really means a lot. It has been a lot of work, but seeing the site put to use makes it all worth it.

Jason

siurano
07-25-2007, 07:21 AM
I like this site already and I favor your vision. I think members of a community must be participant of the decisions and contribute (democracy) to the well being of it. Sometimes you perceive other communities run as a dictatorship, like I'm the owner and it is my decision. Of course sometimes the owner has to make the choice, but I'm thinking more of a balance between members and owner.:cool:

Leif Ohlsson
07-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Jason,

Part of enjoying the site is getting to know people a little better. How about a little dirt on your own self...? (Like Rick did; thanks Rick!)

Leif

rickstef
07-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Jason,

Part of enjoying the site is getting to know people a little better. How about a little dirt on your own self...? (Like Rick did; thanks Rick!)

Leif

Leif,

I thought it would be better to put the "correct" information out before anyone else tries to get it twisted or spun into something improper

plus I am the one who knows me best(at least i think i do, and that is what the voices in my head tell me)

Rick

paulhbell
07-25-2007, 01:17 PM
I like what you have done here and it came just at the right time. A lot of people were upset at what happened at cardmodels.net. I do wish Peter all the best though and I hope his forum also survives. The internet is a big place and there is plenty of room for other paper/card model forums.

abutt2
07-31-2007, 09:42 AM
Well done, Jason. I started out on "The Gauge" as a model railroader. Then moving forced me to cut apart a large layout in order to get it out of the basement. That was last October, and I haven't put the railroad back together yet. Fell back on an old love, paper modeling. Stayed a while with the Gauge's new look. Tired of it. Found you, and here I am, for good, I think. You've done a wonderful job and I know it will continue to grow. Found some familiar faces also. I'll try my best with over 60 plus years of modeling experience to contribute at a steady clip.

Allan

Johnny
07-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for explaining Jason!!
With so many known friends from different forums gathered here I'm sure we will have a great time here in many years to come.
The site is fast,clean nice layout and already a lot of new members!!
So my best wishes from Norway to this site and our great comunity!

Golden Bear
07-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Whoa! Johnny! I haven't had a vacation since 2000... I'm coming to see you for my next one! Is that your boy? Lucky kid.

Carl

Golden Bear
07-31-2007, 10:13 PM
Leif,

I thought it would be better to put the "correct" information out before anyone else tries to get it twisted or spun into something improper

plus I am the one who knows me best(at least i think i do, and that is what the voices in my head tell me)

Rick

Oh, Rick, you only think you know you better than we do. :) But it is always fun to see behind the curtain.

C.

rickstef
07-31-2007, 10:14 PM
I try my best Carl

paper warrior
08-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Wow, its like conquering other (paper) nations and creating a new world order! I'm really greatful you put the sit here when you did, I didn't like what was happening with card.net.

Thanks,
William

Lex
08-27-2007, 10:06 AM
I know what the work are a site admin is like and I have respect for every one of them. Anyway... Thanks!

Julescrafter
12-26-2007, 01:35 AM
I just joined here... jason, but Long live papermodelers.com !

Chris
01-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Comment from a new member to the site:
I, for one, think this site is the easiest to navigate and the best organized. I've checked out the other sites, and this one provides me the information I need, and usually I can find an answer in quick time.
It also gives me a yardstick to gauge the quality of my own work. (And boy.....do I have a long way to go, compared to others!)

Chris

zhang9889
01-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks, Jason. !!!

ccoyle
07-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Wow...I had noticed the absence of certain members over at cardmodels, folks whose work and contributions to the site I greatly respected. I was wondering where they all went off to, and now I find them here. I'm pleased to see you are all alive and well.

Cheers!

Matthew From Florida
12-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the history, Jason.

Long Live the Paper Cutters!:D

pahorace
12-11-2008, 11:16 AM
This Forum is very important (if not essential) for all modelllers of the card.
Here I found many answers to my questions that I have never done and perhaps do not know!
This, in my opinion, is very important. Is the value of the Forum.
Thank you!

Orazio

ct ertz
06-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Three years? I have done this for three months and I have run out of wall space, ink, paper, hard drive space and I have out run my wife's patients! Holly cow, I have to get better at all of these aspects of the hobby. At least I have this great site to help me out!

jparenti
06-21-2009, 12:04 AM
You really want to know what you're in for? Take a look:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/comedy-stand/3256-you-must-paper-modeler-if.html
As ashamed as I am to admit this, I know what super glue tastes like. After doing this for long enough, inadvertently, so will you. :D

Bionic Modeler
06-25-2009, 10:08 PM
nicely put Jason. I was happy to see that so many felt as I did and made the move. All the real contributers are over here now. So with the exception of the name if feels like if used to. You got the cream of the crop. I have not looke back and am happy with your vision. I wish you great success.