PDA

View Full Version : Pre-WW2 Polish Armored car-what is it?

ct ertz
04-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Looking through my hard drive storage I found a nearly completed kit of this AFV. But I failed to label anything so I have no idea what the thing is! It has four wheels (no tracks) and four machine guns. The sketch up model is about 20 ft. long and 7 ft. high. I painted it gray in color but that doesn't mean much. I can add the info and get this out tomorrow if I only knew what the heck it is. I know it is pre WW2 because I have not ever done anything later then the mid 1930s. Any help, and possibly a test builder? I am getting old...I do not even remember making this one.
CT

Uyraell
04-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Corey, the few below are the closest images I could find, but neither of the first two is very helpful.

The Ursus is at least Polish, but the Brazilian vehicle looks to be somewhat closer to your posted image, in terms of the bodywork.

Is it possible you were thinking of modelling the second improvised Armoured Vehicle that was built at the same time as Kubus?
The second vehicle, if I recall correctly, did not survive it's first combat engagement, and had very few pictures of it taken while intact.

I hope the attached images help a little, even though they are not quite as useful as I had hoped.

EDIT: I went back and looked again on a hunch, and think I may have found it, please see attached link.

Polish armoured car "Józef Pilsudski" (http://derela.republika.pl/en/pilsudski%27s-tank.htm)

This third (Pilsudski) vehicle seems to be much closer to your digital image, Corey.

Kind and Respectful Regards Corey my friend, Uyraell.

sporticus
04-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I think Uyraell has it!
http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/933/thumbs/2m46is8.jpg (http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8282)

cjwalas
04-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Agreed, Uryaell has done us all proud. Not a lot of info on this one and there's no record (that I could find) of any color scheme. It certainly appears to be a solid color. Would this have been the later standard Polish armor green?
I've always been fascinated by the numerous improvised armored cars and tanks, Like this 1920 Polish AC;
Or this WWII Italian tank built on a farm tractor;
Great stuff and I'd love to see this one available, Mr. Ertz!
Chris

ct ertz
04-14-2012, 10:08 PM
YES! That's it. The white Eagle on the red shield I remember. Now I have something for the cover page.

Thanks Uyrael!

I will probably recolor to a olive green and add rivets, and maybe detail the MGs a bit, otherwise it's ready to build! Now that I know whats being built!

I have so much stuff on these two hard drives but most of it is so unorganized! I am slowly getting through it.

CT

Uyraell
04-14-2012, 10:22 PM
My friends, I'm very glad to have been able to help.:)

Corey, I wish you every success with what looks to be a very neat model of the Pilsudski Armoured Car.

Kind and Respectful Regards my friends, Uyraell.

Kazziga
04-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Corey, you beat me to it. I have the body ready for more than a year, but I've never had time to finish the chassis.
Anyway, I am happy that you decided to design such a unique vehicle.

ct ertz
04-15-2012, 05:33 AM
This is a quite simple model in 1/72 scale. No "Chassis" other then box shaped axles and half rounds for wheels. At this scale though it still looks the part, and the skirting helps.
CT

jjb89
04-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Haha Ct ertz, I thought that I have bad memory :D

I'm very happy, that make polish armour!
I'll watching with interest. Its called "Piłsudski's Tank" (pol. Tank Piłsudskiego), later Józef Piłsudski :) despite it was an armored car. I think the olive should be more correct than grey.

Regards!

ct ertz
04-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys. A test build is in progress and the thing has been marked with a white eagle on a red shield and repainted an olive green. Rivets have been added (although I only lightly added them at this scale) and I think all is well. We will see how it turns out!
CT

ct ertz
04-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Here is a thread on the test build by Chris! http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/19385-ct-ertzs-josef-pilsudski-armored-car-1-72-a.html

blueyeppoon
04-15-2012, 03:06 PM
I love armoured cars! the weirder the better and you CT seem to have found some I have not heard of at all......keep 'em comin'

sporticus
04-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Here, her, and if you fancy making a 1909 Scneider armoured lorry let me know :-)

In fact I may try out my soon to be improved sketchup skills and give it a go myself!