PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking kit for my dad.

cjwalas
10-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Just got off the phone (video chat, actually) with my dad. He's 85 and I think I may have gotten him hooked on paper models! I gave him a stack of some of my old ones and he built a Domus kit. He cursed it entirely, but I think he loved it. :cool:
He really wants to get into WWII planes, but the kits I gave him are a little too advanced....
SO... my question is, is there a free or downloadable WWII plane kit that is 1.1:33 (not smaller).
2. good fit.
3. simple enough for a first timer and..
4. has very good instructions and diagrams in English?

I wish I could be with him to walk him through the process, but I can't, so I really need to find something that is doable and looks decent. If I didn't like him, I'd give him some of my old MM kits, but I'd definitely go to hell for that one! :D:D
I'd really appreciate any and all help on this. I haven't been able to track down anything free and I'm afraid to purchase any kits without knowing if they'll be understandable and easy enough for him.
Many thanks in advance,
Chris

Texman
10-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, I don't know about the scale, but FG is excellent for the beginner. And, their
not to small either.

Ray

billy.leliveld
10-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Texman is right , I would start with FG too, clear, easy, the're not free, but very affordable
Nobi has some free models;
THAIPAPERWORK Easy But Beautiful (http://agro-on.com/tppw/warbirds_01.html)

cjwalas
10-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah, FG is a great start. Thanks, I hadn't thought of FG because of the size, but it's worth a try!
I'm not worried about free or not, I just want to get something to him while the iron is hot!
Chris

cgutzmer
10-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Best time to bring in new modelers. :)

Let us know what he tries!
Chris

dansls1
10-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Currell V1 maybe? There isn't a lot of 1/33 freebees to choose from. The other options I know of are Modele Kartonowe I-16 and the Judy, plus that Russian? BF-109. None of those are going to have decent English instructions or be very simple.

Oh - Emil's Bulgarian B135 is out there too.

Kaz
10-13-2008, 12:15 AM
I concur with everyone on the FG route.
Modele Kartonowe I16 (my favourite plane ever) has a fiddly cockpit interior, but its hardly visible, and could easily be left out with only the most curious model inspector spotting it!