PDA

View Full Version : 1939 Wz.34 Polish Armored Car new body

ct ertz
04-30-2012, 11:50 AM
OK, gave up on other projects for now and I am continuing with my Polish Armored Car theme with a Wz.34. This car was actually sold as a half track but the Polish Army wanted something with better road handling and build the car accordingly. This small car has a wider body with sloped sides and the turret actually overhangs the body in a small way. If all goes well it will come in three colors, Plain gray, a horizontal airbrushed style como (1936-39), and the easily identifiable "Japaneses style" como (1934-36). I may also do a war prize with German and Croatian markings. This is a simplified model with basic faked under carriage and rather flat 2-d wheels but in 1/72 scale they should do. I may also do the more boxy olde style body as well, though both styles where used at the same time.

Any interest or comments?:eek:

Uyraell
04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Will be watching this one evolve with much interest Corey my friend.
There were also a couple of rarities; Wz 34's that remained halftracks, though those vehicles were in photographs frequently enough, but not often seen in other contexts.
Just an interesting variant.
The Wz 39 is also interesting, but again is reasonably rare.

Kind and Respectful Regards Corey my friend, Uyraell.

ct ertz
04-30-2012, 12:37 PM
I think if it requires little alteration to the main body I will do the half track as well. Looks like at least for a small scale car the switching of the track or wheels may be mostly cosmetic. If that's the case then I will include it as an option.

ct ertz
05-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Here is the half track design with the new body style. The tracks are simply printed boxes with a layering option but will look good I think at 1/72 scale. I think that doing both the half track and the car in the same kit is doable.
CT

cjwalas
05-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Another great choice! I'm glad you're trying both the wheel and track versions, Corey. Is this one as small as the Ford?
Chris

ct ertz
05-01-2012, 10:51 AM
here is the side by side. Also note the photo. The Ford is quite a bit smaller.

Wyvern
05-01-2012, 01:07 PM
printed-box track units can look quite good, if the graphics are good; just look at Best's tracked-vehicle designs. I sure don't miss building up a multi-part unit when I build one, and their artwork cis sufficiently 3-D for my tastes. And I'm positive that Corey can do just as well.

Wyvern

Uyraell
05-01-2012, 04:13 PM
It would seem the difference in sizes between the Ford and the Wz 34 is about 30%.

Corey, just a small question my friend.
In your drawing of the halftrack Wz 34 you show upturned tracks, somewhat similar to the Kegresse-derived M3 Halftrack of the US. This would correspond roughly to the Kegresse "D" pattern of tracks, which was Licence-Produced in the USA.
In the photo you show two Wz 34 halftracks, one of which, nearest the camera, is equipped with Kegresse "C" pattern tracks (Spoked Driver and Idler), and the other, to the Ford's left, is equipped with Kegresse "B" (Solid Driver and Idler) pattern tracks. Neither set of tracks appear to have upturns to them, both seem to be driver and idler wheel flat to the ground, in the same manner as the Kegresse originals, even though the tracks in the photo are most likely License-Produced by the Poles themselves.
So, my question is, where did the upturned "D" pattern tracks arise from with the Wz 34 vehicles?

I'm not trying to nit pick or be critical of your design, Corey my friend, I'm just extremely curious about the tracks, because it would be the first time I've ever seen Kegresse "D" pattern tracks outside US employ during that era.

Kegresse derived halftrack vehicles have always interested me greatly, precisely because they are the most commonly seen halftracks apart from the German vehicles.

I am certainly very glad indeed a halftrack option will be included in the Wz 34 armoured Car kit. :)

ct ertz
05-01-2012, 05:36 PM
You are quite correct that the tracks used where a Citroen-Kegresse style purchased from France. The drawing I was using seems more stylized then real, as well as several other line drawings I have. Every actual picture I have shows the tracks with less up turn. Some are shown flat. I will correct the issure as soon as I decide on which actual photo to use. Here are a few. Most are of the earlier body style, but note some seem flat and others seem slightly upturned. None, however are as upturned as I show in the model. An oversight on my part.:eek:

CT

Uyraell
05-01-2012, 08:51 PM
I see what you mean, Corey my friend. :)
To my eyes the differences seem to be two.
A: Whether the tracks themselves are rubber or solid-and-cleated.
B: It appears that in some cases the Driver and Idler wheels fitted were of smaller diameter, when rubber tracks were employed.

Both differences would contribute to the upturn, in as much as:
The rubber track on standard diameter Driver and Idler (or Sprocket and Idler) would necessarily compress the suspension, but thus would also render it less compliant with the terrain it was crossing, thus giving a harsher ride.
Fitting smaller diameter Sprocket and Idler wheels would relieve the worst of the suspension compression, but thus account for the upturn.
(Which was why I thought I was seeing "D" pattern-derived Kegresse track units.)

It is easy to see how various line drawings would allow the observer to deduce incorrectly, as I did. :)

I honestly had not thought such an intricate discussion on track units would evolve. :)

Whichever you decide will make a fine model: I am certain of that, Corey my friend.
It was just extremely interesting to me to see what I'd not seen before with the Polish Kegresse-derived vehicles. I was less observant than I'd thought. :)

ct ertz
05-26-2012, 01:57 PM
I am still working this one out but may remake the body. I do not like the way it fits together and I think with some mior changes at the base level it will unfold better.
CT

ct ertz
04-08-2017, 10:28 PM
Starting with the early body style in plain gray. Here are the directions so far. I will also do a tracked version as well as the new body.

I will need test builders!

ct ertz
04-09-2017, 10:29 PM
playing with textures in sketch up....interesting...

ct ertz
04-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Coming together nicely.:)

elliott
04-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Nice render Corey! Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

blueyeppoon
04-10-2017, 10:56 PM
Looks great Corey, just like the last one!

MiKE

ct ertz
04-11-2017, 08:21 AM
Thanks guys! Here is a shot of the parts being laid out...

Don Boose
04-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Looking very good, Corey. A couple of years ago, I put together a list of paper models of armored cars. Lots more have been designed since then.

I see that you have made one of your Lanzia armored cars available as a free download at ECardmodels (https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/). That is very generous of you. Many thanks.

Don

ct ertz
04-13-2017, 03:27 PM
Thanks Don.
I will have a 1/48 scale model of an early WZ-34 up at Landships II and ecards for free soon also. And I will have several for sale versions up soon too. Such as this one, used by Germans in Poland from 1939 to 1944-ish. German police in occupied Poland also used these. However, the retreating Polish troops did a good job of disabling any that they were forced to abandon. So Germans did not get as much use out of them as they might have.

rockpaperscissor
04-14-2017, 09:34 AM
I very much like what you're doing with this one, Corey. I just completed gluing on all the louvers to complete the grill/hood of your Lancia AC model, and am now moving on to the turret. With this WZ-34, I think you've given me my next project. Your models are great!

CharlieC
04-15-2017, 09:55 PM
The beta of the WZ 34 (early body) is finished. It will be on Landships II in a few days.

Charlie

ct ertz
04-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Thanks Charlie!!! Awesome build.

CharlieC
05-29-2017, 03:02 PM
The 1:48 model of the Wz.34 is now available on Landships II - usual URL - Landships II (http://landships.info/landships/models.html)

Regards,

Charlie

Don Boose
05-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Looks good in that camouflage.

Thanks for this design, Corey, and thanks to you and Charlie for making it available via Landships II.

Don

niedance
05-30-2017, 06:21 AM
Hello,

The model is not there! Where is it?

ct ertz
05-30-2017, 07:03 AM
Yep, it's there. Under "models" under CT Ertz and it is the last one under mu name! Enjoy! Thanks Charlie, for hosting this one along with my others.

Texman
05-30-2017, 07:06 AM
It is indeed there, under CT Ertz

niedance
05-30-2017, 09:58 AM
sorry guys, but i still cant see. But i think this has got something to do with my Connection. I will have to wait.

chicharrero
05-30-2017, 04:06 PM
Hei, friend.
You have to go to "models", then "CT ertz".
The model is at the bottom of the page.:)
You have to go down a little.

CharlieC
05-30-2017, 04:33 PM
The menu system for the "Models" in Landships II uses CSS - it does need a modern browser to make it work. If you've got an old browser or possibly a Microsoft browser it may not work. I don't think it will work on a mobile phone browser.

Just tried it on my Samsung phone - got as far as the link to the Wz.34 page and it wouldn't load the page - suspect a Javascript problem.

Regards,

Charlie

niedance
05-31-2017, 08:50 AM
Hello all,

thank you for your help. I tried another Browser and it worked. Funny, because edge worked before.