PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 2000 1919 tank in 1/72 scale

ct ertz
05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
I guess this gem was built in 1919 or so, just missing the Great War. However, one of the two prototypes did see action in Libya. My model will be some what simple at 1/72 scale but I think the tracks will look OK. Many layerd parts will help the 3-d effect. I have a couple of details to add and a few that need cleaned up but this one is about ready for building. I have not decided on color scheme yet, but it will have rivets as they show up well in the photos I have seen. This thing was 12 feet high and weighed in at 40 tons or so. Six or seven machine guns and a cannon!

Any thoughts?
CT

John Wagenseil
05-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I am looking forward to this. The spherical turret is going to be a challenge . Mayb edo it in a larger scale and use aping pong ball as turret, like the way chip made a paper model heli about a light bulb.

CharlieC
05-11-2012, 12:34 AM
There's just about every image of the Fiat 2000 available on the Landships II website at Landships II (http://landships.info/landships/tank_articles.html?load=tank_articles/Fiat_2000.html).

The Fiat 2000 was a fairly modern design but it was too high and unstable.

Regards,

Charlie

ct ertz
05-11-2012, 05:10 AM
What I thought was odd was the little armored drivers cockpit. For some reason it reminded me of the tail gunner position on a B-17. I like the rivet pattern though and it should make a pretty good model.

CT

ct ertz
05-11-2012, 05:21 AM
I was just reading the article at Landships II (http://landships.info/landships/tank_articles.html?load=tank_articles/Fiat_2000.html). I found out that four other tanks besides the two proto's where built and stayed in service until 1934! A lot of other little details to. Some can be added to the model, such as the little dome by the rear gunners head. I did not see that before. Good read! Thanks Charlie C.
CT

cjwalas
05-11-2012, 07:57 AM
WooHoo! This is actually one of my favorite early tank designs and I never thought I'd see a paper model of it! I'm especially glad to hear that you are doing the rivets as they are SO undeniable on this tank. Really looking forward to seeing this one come together, Corey!
Chris

Uyraell
05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Thank you for designing this Fiat 2000 model Corey. :)

It is a very fine and well-chosen contribution to Inter-War AFVs.

The vehicle was "forward-thinking" in may ways, despite its' unusual looks.

I look forward to it being released and seeing it built.

Kind and Respectful Regards Corey my friend, Uyraell.

ct ertz
05-12-2012, 07:53 AM
OK, got the base gray done with rivets. I tried to keep the turret built like the original, that is, three side pieces and a top. Actually, the three side pieces are all in one and decided by lines and rivets. The body is two parts, the bottom box with troughs for the tracks and the sloped top. The tracks are simple box like structures with printed wheels. Now, on to the camo!

So her is a shot of page one.

Any thoughts?
CT

ct ertz
05-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Here is a camo version. It needs a little clean up but what do y'all think?
CT

cjwalas
05-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Can't wait to get home and get my hands on this one!

Uyraell
05-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Both grey and camo are, convincing, Corey.
The viewer easily recognises the Fiat 2000 Tank, and your layout of parts is easy to understand.

To be honest, I think you've got it dead right with your first shot, as it were.

I certainly like the look of both versions, though I do wonder if there was not a plain sand/yellow-brown colouring, such as was used on the redesigned FT, the Fiat 3000 as deployed to Sicily. No reference I know of even hints at this, but it would be odd had the Italians not coloured at least one Fiat 2000 in such a way, if only for testing the colourscheme.

As it is, you've got a very neat depiction of the Fiat 2000 as is, and it would be a pleasure to build one once it was available (and I could pay for it).

Which makes me wonder: is there a Fiat 3000 in the works also?
The Fiat 3000 was in many respects a better vehicle than its' FT parent, but I do not recall a Fiat 3000 exiting as a paper model. Just a humble suggestion, Corey my friend.

ct ertz
05-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks Uyraell,
I got hung up on my WZ34 and my 1zm armored cars so I did the Fiat 2000 as a break, mainly because of it's neat shape and clean lines. I was however looking at the 3000 and wondering if a paper one was out there already.

As to the sand color that will be my other depiction, at least one more, included in the kit.

I would like to do one other but have not decided on what exactly for color. Maybe something fictional or proposed...we will see.

CT

CharlieC
05-12-2012, 06:08 PM
There's a thread on the Landships forum - resin Fiat 2000 (http://landships.activeboard.com/t38846661/172-fiat-2000/) which has some ideas on colours, etc.

There was a 1/35 Fiat 3000 by Answer - nice little kit. From memory it gave you a choice of two colour schemes. The Fiat 3000 was in service for a long time - some even
were used to oppose the landings in Sicily in 1943 - they didn't last long against Shermans. Between the wars the Fiat 3000 was considered one of the best tanks around -
much faster the Renault FT.

Regards,

Charlie

ct ertz
05-13-2012, 06:27 AM
OK folks, here is the sand base color and a sand camo color. Not too bad I guess, I am really having fun at this. Now, I just hope all the pieces-parts fit together!:)

CT

ct ertz
05-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Here is the cover page. Now for the directions...
CT

Uyraell
05-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Very neat indeed Corey my friend.
You've caught the look of the Fiat 2000 very well in all guises.

The latest colourschemes work really well, I feel.

ct ertz
05-13-2012, 05:01 PM
For those looking to get an early release of this model in all four color schemes please see this thread: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/sale-owner/19811-fiat-2000-tank-model-exchange-little-help.html
Thank you all!
Corey