PDA

View Full Version : Confederate Sea Going Ironclad by J. Porter

ct ertz
06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
With my CSS Selma done and awaiting test build, along with my CSS Louisiana, and my USS Vindicator about ready i took a break to crank out a quicky. This is the sea going ironclad idea of J Porter with input from J. M. Brooke's. Notice iit has a higher then average (for confederate ironclads) freeboard and has a high casemate. The draft would have been a killer 18feet and the length was 222 feet. Like the CSS Virginia, the deep draft would not allow for harbor or river use. So as the war for the South shifted from offensive to defensive the larger ironclads were shrunk down to the classic 150 foot gun boat idea, the "Richmond Class" ironclads.

Another big thank you to John Wallis for his masterful reconstruction of this concept ship. And for letting me use his drawings!

This will be available soon.:)

CT

Wyvern
06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Another CT Paperclad; glad tidings!

Wyvern

ct ertz
06-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks Wyvern,
I honestly think that a smaller gun casemat on a conventional sea going screw steamer with some armor at the waterline/sides would have been better. this design, although capable, would have had the same ventilation issues and the same slow speed issues as most of the casemate type ironclads. But still, in 1861 the idea seemed like just the thing to get the New England states attention! Having a few of these blockading a couple of busy norther ports would have been a problem!

CT

sporticus
06-06-2012, 09:07 PM
With my CSS Selma done and awaiting test build, along with my CSS Louisiana, and my USS Vindicator about ready i took a break to crank out a quicky.
CT

I love the way your idea of a break is to design yet another ship! Some people would call that madness. Personally I think it's genius!

Hope you're getting plenty of test build offers coming your way!

ct ertz
06-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks Sporticus. I just needed something with clean lines and relatively easy details!

Here is page one of parts.

I wanted her to look newly painted but with some rust already growing at the water line, and smoke stains on the stack.

CT

ct ertz
06-07-2012, 06:21 PM
All done and will be in the free downloads shortly!

Uyraell
06-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Corey my friend, this looks very neat indeed, and I feel you've captured exactly the details you sought to. :)

This is another mighty fine addition to your ever growing fleet. :)

Kind and Respectful Regards Corey my friend, Uyraell.

ct ertz
06-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks Uyraell. I have been working on wooden gunboats lately and needed a quick break. Something with the smooth lines of a casemate ironclad but not overly detailed hit the spot. I hope everyone likes it. It should make a couple hour build I think. Lots of room for additions such as gun tubs, railing and so on.

Thanks to all who build!
CT

heimdall
06-07-2012, 06:54 PM
CT: I am new to this forum group, and am impressed with all that I see, but it was your work that drew me here and made me want to join! It's all great (my being partial to CSN vessels notwithstanding)!

I hope to see your Mississippi real soon. Thanks for all you do!

ct ertz
06-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Thank you heimdall,
Flattering! I have some more model up over at ECardmodels.com Shop (http://www.ecardmodels.com) as well!

My great Test builder Shawn wrote today to let me know all is well with the CSS Louisiana waterline test build. He hopes to complete that by the end of the week end. As to the CSS Mississippi I have started some work on it and the proposition model used to sell the CSA Government on it. I am unsure when they will be done. Soon I hope!
CT

ct ertz
06-12-2012, 09:39 AM
OK, an addition to the Porter design. John Wallis added some features such as reducing the number of gun ports and guns. He added the square ports with two part covers and he added a second and third launch. I am adding this to the downloads for those who choose this likely option! Thanks John.

CT

jmr248
06-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Before we change or make modifications, here is another example of CT's excellent work. 1st two pictures are of the 2 sheets for construction, next is 2 photos of the hull. Easy to work with as always.

More to follow.

joe

jmr248
06-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Casement pictures, and then casement attached photos. Some of the fiddley parts are already attached and others pasrts are ready to be cut out. 20 gunports calls for alot of covers. More latrer and a large thank you to CT for making this available to us.

Joe

ct ertz
06-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Awesome, thanks Joe!

rebelatsea
06-15-2012, 04:18 AM
Gents, this ship was an evolution, coming after Porter's 1861 coast defence vessel design, but before Brooke had done his gun and armour tests. It incorporated Brooke's hull from his proposal but with high freeboard. Brooke had not then invented his pivot carriage for heavy guns ,so Porter would have kept his all centre line layout with 4 heavy guns on pivots firing through wide ports. Protection would have been 3" iron as in all the early designs.
This vessel led directly to the 150ft gunboat plan, which became known misleadingly as the Richmond type.

ct ertz
06-15-2012, 09:38 AM
I will be working on your CSS Richmond soon. I Like your plan because it is different then the usual double pointed end Richmond usually seen.

CT

jmr248
06-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Corey

Finished your Ocean Going Ironclad and once again it was easy and turned out great because of your fine design work. I went with only one boat for getting to other ships when anchored. I have it beside Corey's CSS Texas to give you an idea of the size and bulk. These are in 1/200 since my fingers do not do well at 1/250.

Thanks once again for another great model. Looking ofrward to your Mississippi Ironclad and the Mississippi Concept model.

Joe

ct ertz
06-23-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks Joe, those look great. I am glad that you enjoy them.

Corey

THE DC
06-25-2012, 05:43 PM
This is a nice project and the finish is awesome!