PDA

View Full Version : $10 to spend, which model?

Sheep
11-09-2008, 08:01 AM
I have $10 to spend on a ship model from papermodelstore.com any suggestions?

birder
11-09-2008, 08:14 AM
what would you like to make and how difficult? you can have lots of diffrerent models check out the specials (upper right):)

Sheep
11-09-2008, 08:19 AM
A sailing ship would be nice, moderate.

Darwin
11-09-2008, 06:02 PM
I recommend the Maly Modelarz reissues (read that released since year 2000) of the Victory and the Cutty Sark. For $10, you could get both and still have a little change left over.

Sheep
11-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Alright i have $15 now so I can get another one.

redhorse
11-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I recommend the Maly Modelarz reissues (read that released since year 2000) of the Victory and the Cutty Sark. For $10, you could get both and still have a little change left over.

I agree, those are neat kits and inexpensive! I got the Bounty and the Piotr z Gdanska as free bonus kits and they are really nice.

Sheep
11-09-2008, 06:29 PM
How would you rate them on difficulty? Do they look nice when they are done?

Gharbad
11-09-2008, 08:45 PM
The next Maly kit is a new version of the Mayflower.
I have the older one and it impressed me (on paper at least, never saw it built)
I don't know if you'd care to wait to see how that turns out, no telling how long it'll be.

Darwin
11-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Funny you should ask....here is a pic of my partially completed Cutty Sark. In way of explanation....this model was made from a scan of the original Maly Cutty Sark model (as anyone with any experience with vintage Maly kits can verify, the paper is so poor a quality that building from a scan is the only way of hoping for a successful build). I started it several years ago, fairly early in my return to paper modeling. At it's present stage of construction, it fell off (and behind) the bookcase I stored it on to protect it from the model-eating cat we had at the time. This spring I finally had something important enough fall behind the bookcase to justify the time and effort of retrieval, so retrieved the Cutty after some four years or so of hiding from me. Since then, it has been kicking around accumulating more and more shop wear while I am engaged in the 1:1 scale project of building the hobby shop. I'm about to the point of calling it good practice and starting over with the new issue of the model....maybe upscaling it to HO scale. Considering the vintage of the original kit, the parts fit was outstanding...so, I have hopes that a major enlargement of the model will not be too majpr a task. The skill level of the Cutty Sark is definitely in the easy to moderate range. I haven't tried the Victory, but have seen a couple of favorable build articles for it. With a few extra bucks to play with, the Dar Parmoza would also be a possibility. The new reissue of it is fairly impressive, as far as initial impressions are concerned. Judging from the kit, it looks as if it might be a tad more challenging than the Cutty, but still in the moderate skill range.

modelperry
11-10-2008, 06:55 AM
I built the Piotr z Gdanska. There is a build thread of it on the zealot.com forum. The biggest problem with building it was at the stern of the ship. I had trouble figuring out parts placement there. Other than that it wasn't a bad build.

Greg

Sheep
11-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Well i actually ended up getting these 2 pre WWI cruisers/battleships.